Stonehenge?

observer

For a very long time people have believed this - it is not new news - it has just finally received national news.

Wiccan societies have asked and been granted time set aside at Stone henge. Whether it is a believable thing or not - I do not know. But then there are so many things that I do not know - but I am still curious.

why must there be something significant about stonehenge.

I think, they wanted to make a structure, so some foreman type said, ok put one there, and another there, oh and puit that one on top of them two.

right now we have a meetingplace, market, point of refrence for whatever were going to do.

no magic, no clestial connections, no calendar.. just rocks, with a variety of purposes.

why must there be something significant about stonehenge.

I think, they wanted to make a structure, so some foreman type said, ok put one there, and another there, oh and puit that one on top of them two.

right now we have a meetingplace, market, point of refrence for whatever were going to do.

no magic, no clestial connections, no calendar.. just rocks, with a variety of purposes.

I suggest you think 'Paganism' don't you ?? spirituality came from the earth for people for thousands of years, a good example is the finding of many valuable objects in lakes, rivers etc .......... belief in gods in the water and also as an offering, and belief that water was endless thus objects passing into another world ........... we live in a totally different society who sadly find that our ancestors beliefs are 'laughable' and 'nonsensical' ........... that's why we have an education system with history in it :roll: to teach how life WAS not how it is NOW :roll: and to dispel the 'sceptical myths' spread around by those who don't want to understand the beliefs and way of life of previous generations !

Not sure this human facination with the mystical has dissapeared Tone (welcome back btw); we still have Lourdes, Mecca and the Ganges. :wink: Perhaps someone got run over or stabbed in the vicinty of stonehenge, and flowers began to appear on the site every year, until it was a full blown shrine; then some bright spark thought of moving in and erecting the stones; the same guy then set up a stall selling objects with healing properties etc and made a right load of doe! :wink:

Just watched the prog about it: the "blue stones" were there first and were transported all the way from S/Wales, presumably for their healing powers; the large "sarsons" were from local rock, and their arrangement appears to have been designed as a solar time piece, showing the sunset on mid-winter's eve, thus establishing the end of one year and the beginning of the next; essential to a society relying on agriculture and the seasons. :wink: