What's more important -

observer

As long as they have the interests of the country and it's people at heart, I ain't bovvered.

Having said that, do any of the parties care about the country?

WHY do they have to be the Party "face" if they haven't got the personality?

Use a PR person.

You get the politicians on TV spouting forth, but do they sound credible? Not in my book.

Time we stopped trying to copy the Yanks. :roll:

- in politics: policies or personalities? :? Do we want a US system where image and style outweigh ideology? :roll::wink:

Hi Obs, I guess on this point we're going to agree in the main. Certainly policies are far more important than personality, unfortunately intelligent people with "good" (depending on your definition) policies don't always comunicate very well. eg Michael Foot was passionate about nuclear disarmament but he did himself or his cause no favours in the way he came across.

I would however draw the line over your use of the word "ideology" - this to me is where the right policies become sacrificed in order to remain in line with some deep rooted principal eg the CPGB initially opposed Nazi Germany then took up an anti-war stance (when USSR decreed it should be so) then changed back again.

I refer to "ideology" in the context of a set of priciples or vision adopted by a political grouping. :? Such aspirations are hopefully designed to improve the wellbeing of ALL, but often confine themselves to pandering to special interest groups within society rather than society as a whole, thus it ends up as confrontational rather than concensual. :roll: The problem nowadays is that the existence and promotion of a political Party, is now an end in itself, rather than a means to an end. :wink: As for image and style; I'm not sure the US electorate are aware of the policy position of either Presidential candidates; nor in the UK are we aware of the policy programme of the Conservatives - yet they are now riding high in the polls, basically due to dissatisfaction with the lack of vision being shown by New Labour - so folk will tend to vote against the incumbent, by voting for the opposition - and merry go round continues. :roll::wink:

I'll predict now, that the less well off will be even worse off under the Tory, Bliar like, spin merchant, Cameron- as J.K.Rowling has obviously concluded - still, that won't stop a fickle and gullible electorate! :wink:

Is that because of the medicine to be taken to cure the present malaise?

As I keep saying, times will no doubt be tough, therefore should be born by the broadest shoulders - something which just isn't in the Tory DNA - so the rich will get richer and the poor poorer - as ever. :shock: Not that New Labour will be much better; Comrade Cruddas at a Conference fringe meeting has advocated increasing super-tax to 45% - WOW :roll: ; is that as revolutionary as it now gets - once upon a time it used to be 84%! :roll::wink: And with the total failiure of privatisation as evidenced by the utilities, rail and buses; we have a US Republican Administration adhering to the old Labour Party's Clause IV by Nationalising the commanding heights of their economy! :roll::wink: So New Labour can turn their present woes around (a week in politics being a long time) IF they dropped the "new" and returned to their core principles of striving for a fair and egalitarian society, and start hitting the city spivs etc who've caused the current financial fiasco. :wink: