Possible new ?400m Titan Prison on Omega Site ????

Dizzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that the Westbrook Labour Rose leaflet has quoted Paul Kennedy directly from this forum, as well as other councillors from other sources. They are distancing themselves from this issue and I can't say that I blame them. Did you see this leaflet yet Paul/Gary?

P.S. There is a meeting tonight at Whittle Hall Community Centre for anyone to air their views. I think it is at 7pm.

I see that the Westbrook Labour Rose leaflet has quoted Paul Kennedy directly from this forum, as well as other councillors from other sources. They are distancing themselves from this issue and I can't say that I blame them. Did you see this leaflet yet Paul/Gary?

P.S. There is a meeting tonight at Whittle Hall Community Centre for anyone to air their views. I think it is at 7pm.

Aye, she's pretty good at sticking the knife into councillors as she did over the traffic lights as well.

In my mind MP trumps councillors, so instead of sitting there sniping, perhaps she could actually be seen to be actively doing something, rather than scoring cheap party political points.

No, but maybe somebody could email me a copy or PM me with the wording.

With regards to the MP for Warrington North, given it is her party who are in Government, maybe on behalf of them she could say that they will not impose the prison on the OMEGA site.

Whatever I or others say regarding this matter, and for the record I am against prisons for 2500 inmates, they have no place in this country...... but I do believe we need more prisons in general, it will be Central Government who will decide where prisons are built, and by and large they can ignore local opinion. Warrington North residents should ask their MP to oppose any such proposals. From what I can tell she might well have decided that the best form of defence is attack, in order to detract from her Government's key role in a possible decision making process.

No, but maybe somebody could email me a copy or PM me with the wording.

Thanks folks for emailing me the leaflet. :D

PS Just in case Warrington North's MP is unsure what her Government's policy on prisons is, it is to build more prisons and I quote from the Labour Party website:

"We are fully committed to providing a net further 15,000 prison places by 2014 through the largest ever prison-building programme (7,000 of which will be provided by 2010)"

http://www.labour.org.uk/crime_and_anti-social_behaviour

So maybe Warrington North's MP or one of her acolytes could tell us all where those 15,000 prison places will be built :wink:

Last night a Public Meeting was held at Whittle Hall Community Centre, attended by several hundred concerned local residents. Indeed the Comminity Centre was too small to contain the volume of concerned local residents and spilled over into the rear of the premises and car Park. Congratulations to the three local Lib Dem Borough Councillors who took questions for almost two hours and allowed all shades of opinion (Yes there were people in favour) Disappointing to note that our local MP did not feel this was a matter of sufficient imporance for her to attend. Good to see Jo Crotty present who confirmed the view that irrespective of any NIMBI argument Titan Prisons are a bad idea in principle (numerous web sites refer to this, type Titan Prison into google). The Lib Dem Councillors are to table a motion in the Borough council opposing the proposed Prison and are to investigate holding an open meeting/Full council meeting at a larger venue (Parr Hall) to allow democracy to be seen in action. Many local residents signed up to a campaign, albeit many expressed a view that this is a single issue campaign and do not align themselves to any political party. Did any one else attend the meeting and what was your take on it ?

I have now seen the leaflet (thanks Paul) and would suggest those who are responsible watch out because they have broken the law as there is no imprint on the back stating who is responsible for the publication - this is required by law!

Meanwhile welcome to the forum Allan - hope you can get some more local residents to voice their concerns on here - this is what the forum is for a public platform to raise awareness and issues about concerns in the local community.

I was also at last night's meeting and was amazed and pleased to see the response from residents from all affected districts. Now the ball is rolling, the momentum has to be kept up. At a simple level that means cross-linking to forums like this and the groups being setup on Facebook as well as the "official" website for the campaign against the Titan Prison (once it's up and running). That way, everyone can stay informed of the next step in the process.

Aside form the issues surrounding the prison itself, we cannot allow Central Government to steam-roller plans over the concerns of local councils and residents. There is a very important principle at stake here.

Maybe our MP needs a gentle reminder of who votes her in (or out).

A public meeting with the council in a large venue is essential. And incidentally - can anyone tell me if WBC meeetings are currently broadcast on the web (as several other councils do) and if not when is this planned?

can anyone tell me if WBC meeetings are currently broadcast on the web (as several other councils do) and if not when is this planned?[/quote

No they are not. I have seen at least one that is broadcast . I will ask the question. It is a good idea, but I've no idea of the cost. Public are entitled and welcomed to attend meetings and they can ask questions at Full Council.

can anyone tell me if WBC meeetings are currently broadcast on the web (as several other councils do) and if not when is this planned?[/quote

No they are not. I have seen at least one that is broadcast . I will ask the question. It is a good idea, but I've no idea of the cost. Public are entitled and welcomed to attend meetings and they can ask questions at Full Council.

Paul -

here is an example of council meetings that have been webcast for 12 months now: http://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=448 and the plan is to continue. Staffs Moorlands is a smaller, more rural area than Warrington so I imagine interest would be even greater in WBC meetings.

Last night a Public Meeting was held at Whittle Hall Community Centre, attended by several hundred concerned local residents. Indeed the Comminity Centre was too small to contain the volume of concerned local residents and spilled over into the rear of the premises and car Park. Congratulations to the three local Lib Dem Borough Councillors who took questions for almost two hours and allowed all shades of opinion (Yes there were people in favour) Disappointing to note that our local MP did not feel this was a matter of sufficient imporance for her to attend. Good to see Jo Crotty present who confirmed the view that irrespective of any NIMBI argument Titan Prisons are a bad idea in principle (numerous web sites refer to this, type Titan Prison into google). The Lib Dem Councillors are to table a motion in the Borough council opposing the proposed Prison and are to investigate holding an open meeting/Full council meeting at a larger venue (Parr Hall) to allow democracy to be seen in action. Many local residents signed up to a campaign, albeit many expressed a view that this is a single issue campaign and do not align themselves to any political party. Did any one else attend the meeting and what was your take on it ?

Allan, I attended the meeting but despite arriving 10 minutes early i was only able to get a place in the rear garden area so I did not manage to hear all that was said unfortunatly. There must have been well over 500 people present. The Lib Dems were very well represented and did as good a job of running the meeting as possible given the circumstances. What I did find surprising and disappointing was the lack of Labour councillors at all being present or giving their views. Considering that they had posted leaflets throughout the area claiming to be the only party which was against the prison proposal you would think they could at least turn up to support the local population or to maybe explain why our M.P. was not present. The Labour government, of which both Warrington M.P.'s are a part, are the ones behind this Titan Prison idea along with the developers not the Borough Council. It was suggested that an email campaign to our M.P. be undertaken by anybody wishing to voice their opinions.

In all I thought the meeting went well and I can see many reasons why this prison should not be given the go ahead.

[quote="PJ Callands

........was the lack of Labour councillors at all being present or giving their views. Considering that they had posted leaflets throughout the area claiming to be the only party which was against the prison proposal you would think they could at least turn up to support the local population or to maybe explain why our M.P. was not present.

Warrington North's current MP has just got a new job as a Government Whip, so guess she was busy at Westminster doing a bit of whipping :wink:

Would imagine she would be quite good at that?! :lol::wink: Labour Councillors may find it difficult to criticise the villain of the peace - Central Government - and are probably being whipped into line - however, that doesn't appear to stop them circulating misinformation on their leaflets! :wink:

Warrington North's current MP has just got a new job as a Government Whip, so guess she was busy at Westminster doing a bit of whipping :wink:

Hopefully a short term position Paul.... and then she can be consigned to the dole with the rest of her fellow Labour MP's (Hopefully) :lol:

Pot fulls of our money and she can't even be bothered to show up? Just shows the contempt she has for the local electorate if she thinks being down in Westminster is more important; especially as the lazy bunch of no marks only went back to work (?) after the summer break this week. Summer break? Most people are preparing for bloody Christmas now let alone finishing off the summer....

The cynical amongst us might see this promotion as a reward for her sterling work whipping up support to keep the abhorrent Lewis list. She gets them their immoral perks and they give her a better job. I don't know how things work in Westminster but i imagine mutual backscratching is well entrenched.

I note that being a Government Whip pays an extra ?25,673 p.a. on top of the basic ?61,820. Nice work if you can get it.

Wonder what the average wage in Warrington North is, my guess is that it is less than ?25,673. :wink:

Perhaps their pay should be directly linked to the ftse 100 index, they may take more care of the economy then.

No doubt being a whip will take up time that could and should be spent on important constituancy issues, well important to the people who live in warrington anyway.

Thanks

I've asked the question of our Communications Department and I await the response.

That will be a while then!! (Sorry lads; couldn't resist that one!!)

O ye of very little faith Baz J, oh ye of very little faith :wink::D

Caroline Jones, replied at 07:40 this morning, with the following that she has agreed I can post:

"Thanks for the question and apologies for not coming back to you sooner but I was out in meetings most of yesterday. It is something we've looked into previously but at the time, did not have the technology or the calibre of website to host the webstreaming at the sort of speed/quality that would be necessary to allow someone to watch a broadcast live or with slight delay. However, with improvements to our website it is something we're now pursuing and would like to trial using existing equipment to see what the take-up would be like, before we make the investment in technology to enable us to broadcast every public meeting. As I know you're aware, the cost of doing this on a permanent basis could be high and if it was only being watched by a handful of people on the occasions when there was a contentious issue on the agenda, arguably those with an interest in said issue would almost certainly be the ones who would have turned out to watch the meeting 'live' in the chamber or other venue in any case. That being said, I'm more than happy to investigate the costs and options in more detail (including looking at the sites mentioned on the WWW forum) and let you know - then you and your fellow councillors can debate whether you would like to allocate funding to it.

An alternative solution, which I'll pursue with Gary to get his views, would be to do a link-up with Warrington Worldwide/WarringtonTV and see whether we couldn't work out a webstreaming deal which might be an option at least in the short-term."

Thanks

I've asked the question of our Communications Department and I await the response.

That will be a while then!! (Sorry lads; couldn't resist that one!!)

O ye of very little faith Baz J, oh ye of very little faith :wink::D

Caroline Jones, replied at 07:40 this morning, with the following that she has agreed I can post:

An alternative solution, which I'll pursue with Gary to get his views, would be to do a link-up with Warrington Worldwide/WarringtonTV and see whether we couldn't work out a webstreaming deal which might be an option at least in the short-term."

and said conversation has already taken place!