Possible new ?400m Titan Prison on Omega Site ????

Dizzy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I fully understand, although other than property values...which is always the biggest concern and maybe undesireables visiting the prison, not sure exactly what other major facets of people's lives would be affected.

Isn't that enough for starters Paul :wink:

Absolutely, but alas as I understand it, it's not a reason to not grant planning permission.

With the economic downturn and large numbers of empty commercial premises, what to do with Omega is going to be a problem, not least because the developers will want to start generating income. Could be changed to housing, but look at the state of the housing market....maybe affordable housing.

Been watching this closely and I suspect this is what will happen -

If the prison plan comes along a planning application will come in.

WBC will oppose absolving all local councillors of blame

It will get called in and be decided by the government appointed inspector and then it will be given the green light.

This is what we call local democracy!

Of course this is all just my opinion - but what do I know :roll:

It will get called in and be decided by the government appointed inspector and then it will be given the green light.

Think you've probably called it correctly :wink:

[quote name='"PJ Callands

perhaps if we ripped up a few trees we could site a prison here after all we all want to see criminals jailed and I'm sure with a bit of screening nobody would mind]

You'd get sent to prison if you did' date=' they are protected :D[/quote']

Unless you are a pikey with a bit of land in Warrington South of course.... in which case you can rip up trees and not go to jail and still be able to have your say in court!

No, I fully understand, although other than property values...which is always the biggest concern and maybe undesireables visiting the prison, not sure exactly what other major facets of people's lives would be affected.

Isn't that enough for starters Paul :wink:

Absolutely, but alas as I understand it, it's not a reason to not grant planning permission.

With the economic downturn and large numbers of empty commercial premises, what to do with Omega is going to be a problem, not least because the developers will want to start generating income. Could be changed to housing, but look at the state of the housing market....maybe affordable housing.

Suppose it all boils down to getting the most revenue from whatever source is possible (even if is government grants for ticking a box etc) from yet another ill thought through cock up. They could always sell the land for ?1 though :lol:

For once Gary you are probably completely right :wink::P Seems the course of action for approval of some of the more sensitive issues these days defiantely seems to be that of passing the buck and putting the 'blame' for approval elsewhere. :roll:

Ey up I'm supposed to be being optomistic about everything and not getting involved in silly political twaddle..... Oh Flip that didn't last long... time for another break :lol:

That would be the one who has the guts to post on this Forum in his own name would it....and to act as a devil's advocate, with some noteable others :wink: , in order to keep the Forum from becoming sterile. :wink::D

There is a school of thought that the developers have put forward an extreme proposal in order to get lots of objections etc, and then change their proposal to that which they always wanted and to which objectors will then accept as a least worst option. Crafty people these developers :wink:

http://www.englishpartnerships.co.uk/omega.htm

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2007-08/planning.html

That would be the one who has the guts to post on this Forum in his own name would it....and to act as a devil's advocate, with some noteable others :wink: , in order to keep the Forum from becoming sterile. :wink::D

There is a school of thought that the developers have put forward an extreme proposal in order to get lots of objections etc, and then change their proposal to that which they always wanted and to which objectors will then accept as a least worst option. Crafty people these developers :wink:

http://www.englishpartnerships.co.uk/omega.htm

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2007-08/planning.html

Has there been a proposal Paul? If so you seem to be the only councillor to have seen it. If there has not been a proposal you are merely perpetuating a rumour which, given your position of Councillor, is bound to worry residents even more than they are at present. As for posting in your own name good for you but I don't think there are any other parish councillors in Callands with my initials and Paul Jackson Callands seems a bit long winded. I'm glad you do post as obviously the forum would die without you :wink:

So Paul, is there a proposal to build a prison on Omega?

If so have you seen it?

If not are you a rumour monger? :wink:

What are you going on about, the fact that this topic exists is evidence, is it not, that there have been thoughts...proposals if you like, to consider the possibility of building a prison on a section of the Omega site.

This from Builder & Engineer dated 10 September:

"The North West's largest strategic business site could be set aside for a giant prison, reports from various sources suggest.

The "Omega" site at Warrington, the former Burtonwood US airbase, has been touted for over a decade as the region's most important strategic site, but despite the property boom failed to attract the type of international footloose company it was after.

Now as the economy turns it is thought that those behind the plan who include Miller Developments and the North West Development Agency are looking at alternatives.

Now it seems The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has suggested buying a slice of the 550-acre site, close to Junction 8 of the M62 motorway, from developers Miller Developments ? a proposal believed to be under consideration.

The plan is to build a giant prison which will house around 2000 inmates"

Personally I think it is absurd to build a prison of such size.

http://www.labour.org.uk/crime_and_anti-social_behaviour

and to preserve political balance which I try and do when I post on here, as I understand it, Conservative policy is also to build more prisons.

[quote name='"PJ Callands

perhaps if we ripped up a few trees we could site a prison here after all we all want to see criminals jailed and I'm sure with a bit of screening nobody would mind]

You'd get sent to prison if you did' date=' they are protected :D[/quote']

Unless you are a traveller with a bit of land in Warrington South of course.... in which case you can rip up trees and not go to jail and still be able to have your say in court!

Alas WBC didn't serve a tree preservation order in time.

The traveller did indeed speak at the Public Enquiry....not very impressive, indeed it emphasised his contempt for the planning process.

Can't see the problem really,

I don't live far from the proposed site and think it could be a bonus. Local office worker types may gain employment, local wannabe toughs can wear high vis vests and local politicians can waste everyone's time by claiming it was their idea all along.

My bonus is..........when one of em gets released, they might be able to start me car.