LA Bowl Traffic lights never to be used?

disgusted

Hmmm silence again..... maybe he is studying how to insert a quote properly before he replies this time! :lol:

Virginian, I too would be interested in knowing why you think it is OK to spend such a huge amount of money for little or no benefit; especially as you say you are a taxpayer too and not employed by WBC.....

I know you are right in saying you are entitled to your opinions and yes you are; but can you explain how you came to hold those views when all the evidence dictates that there have been so many almighty cock ups on so many transport schemes organised and run by the transport department of the council? and that this has cost you by way of the poll tax you pay and that there have been no recriminations for the mess created?

reply from WBC regarding the same:

Westbrook Crescent/Cromwell Avenue

The works have taken considerably longer than initially programmed. At present final amendments to the traffic light sequencing to take advantage of the left lane northbound are being confirmed. These further changes are expected to better balance the capacity across the junction and reduce southbound queuing. Your comments have been passed to the Traffic Signal unit for information, although the issue you raise of southbound queuing is known.

CCTV cameras have been in operation for a number of months monitoring the junction. The monitoring will continue once these changes have been made.

Calver Road Junction

As part of the proposed works, a review of the existing traffic signage has been undertaken. It is proposed, to introduce additional signage (both permanent and temporary) to reflect the revised layout. This includes directional signage, 'wicket signs' ( detailing lane management) and variable message signs . This will be monitored throughout the duration of the experimental Order to ascertain whether any further signage and/or carriageway markings are required / justified to assist in the management of the road layout.

I also enclose a link to a press release dated January 09 regarding the junction, which you may or may not have already seen.

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/News/2009/January/A574_Cromwell_Avenue___Calver_Road_Junction_improvement_works.aspx

Above link says no right turn at calver road will be for trial of 18 months. That will then be 3 years working on this junction!!

Above link says no right turn at calver road will be for trial of 18 months. That will then be 3 years working on this junction!!

What gets mne, is that a no right turn scheme could have been trialled without any need for the expensive building and re-bulding of the traffic lights there.

Make it left turn only and see what happens, and by doing that the need for any lights would have been more or less averted anyway.

Still, they have a budget to spend, wouldn't want any leftover at years end :roll:

As part of the proposed works, a review of the existing traffic signage has been undertaken. It is proposed, to introduce additional signage (both permanent and temporary) to reflect the revised layout. This includes directional signage, 'wicket signs' ( detailing lane management) and variable message signs . This will be monitored throughout the duration of the experimental Order to ascertain whether any further signage and/or carriageway markings are required / justified to assist in the management of the road layout

More distractions

more signs more

more pressure on the motorist to interpret what is happening

why bother?

put in a roundabout or leave it alone

• 1 month later...

These lights were on last night and the right turn out of Calver Road is no longer possible.

When I drove along Cromwell Avenue last night at around 5.15 there seemed to be a queue of slow moving traffic towards LA Bowl from at least the Ikea roundabout. Maybe it's always like that around then and I don't normally notice it.

Don't know how far the queue for the Asda lights stretched back as I turned into Twenty Acre Road, but it looked long.

R

Interesting you say that... I went to B&Q last night and they were off... perhaps they weren't such a major success afterall :roll:

And then coming back.. the amount of people cutting others up trying to move over into the left hand lane coming off winwick road

Seriously, I dont know who's more stupid.. some drivers or the planners :roll:

They were on around 5 yesterday, perhaps they're part-time. I turned off the A49 on to Cromwell Avenue to be faced with a queue caused by someone who had stopped because he could see a red light (the filter to turn right) but couldn't see the green light giving him permission to carry on straight ahead. :roll:

And the queue towards LA Bowl was backed up to Ikea again.

R

• 1 month later...

Although this thread has been about the new lights at Westbrook and LA, what about the old traffic light problem on the traffic islands on Winwick

O k, they are needed at peak times, but why not remove the lights on the roundabout itself and delaying the lights before the roundabouts allowing traffic to clear off the island. Currently one or two large vehicle stuck on the roundabout gridlock the whole junction

Also why are these traffic lights not part time?

Only n Warrington lights on roundabouts are not part time!

Well said Skittles re Winwick roundasbout lights. They do need a good rehash.

Congrats to wbc for the LA lights. They appear to be working well, even though some drivers still cannot read the signs and still cut up other drivers.

As for ASDA lights they need a proper review as there is too much standing traffic especially at peak times.

d

Well said Skittles re Winwick roundasbout lights. They do need a good rehash.

Congrats to wbc for the LA lights. They appear to be working well, even though some drivers still cannot read the signs and still cut up other drivers.

As for ASDA lights they need a proper review as there is too much standing traffic especially at peak times.

d

Aye credit where it's due, Calver Road works well.

However the Asda lights are still a disaster.

remember however Calver road (no right turn) is just an experiment for 18 months. I agree that it works and therefore should be permanent. Check out a similar arrangement near Bache Station / Ciuntesss of Chester hospitla in Chester which has worked like this (i.e. no right turn when an adjacent roundabout is near) for 10+ years.

However how about clearer markings on the entry to the roundabout (say paint the road yellow) for calver road as you say people still do take the old inside line.

As for ASDA, they spent money on improving the islands and lights and the orange bags are still over some of them.

They have been a disaster and still need a radical rethink. That should include an alternative exit onto the red bridge roundabout from Asda which will alleviate some of this. How about re-opening Burtonwood road through Chapelford (say one way only northbound) again to relieve this bottle neck.

A box junction and passing place on the left at the existign Asda entrance woudl be cheap and allevaite the problems in the short term. Intelligent lights based on traffic volume rather than timign woudl also help. Stopping at 6am when no one is there doesnt help anyone.