LA Bowl Traffic lights never to be used?

disgusted

Can't help thinking that a blob of white paint for a mini roundabout would have been the quickest,cheapest & most effective way of dealing with traffic problems at LA Bowl.

And while we are on the subject what about the farce of the junction alterations at Daresbury & the fiasco near the new B&Q at Widnes....where do the traffic planners & highways contractors come from these days...the M62 was built quicker!!

the best thing is they wer enever finished properly anyway. Drive dwon winwick road and turn right. Note the road markings. note how they contradict each other. Even now you get the right hand lane full of thos trying to go straight on and forced to shuffle across.

They cannot even do a bad job right.

• 5 months later...

the esteemed engineers are having another go at creating traffic congestion and confusion by introducing a no right turn from Calver Avenue. this means traffic has then to turn left, get into the right land and go round the roundabout to go along Cromwell avenue. As the traffic lights sequence is not the greatest achievement in timing, and as the road markings will probably still be the work of a monkey, no doubt traffic chaos will again prevail.

So beware all users of this road "system".

I have to agree with fatshaft, this is a sensible solution to the problems at this junction. Wahl seems to think otherwise, just another cheap shot at wbc - get a life fool.

He is probably basing his assumptions on the other wonderful examples of WBC traffic management. At peak times there are streams of traffic that come to the junction at Calver road and if all this traffic is forced onto the Winwick Road island; there will be chaos because the lights are not currently sequenced to allow a stream of traffic to make a full 180 degree run around the roundabout. You will therefore get traffic backing up across the roundabout and across the road leading to the roundabout which will prevent traffic turning left onto Winwick Road.

Traffic is also bad enough on Winwick road heading from town so if they mess with the light sequences to allow more traffic round the roundabout you will end up with traffic backing up both ways down Winwick Road.

Not a cheap shot at WBC but rather a logical look at what might happen!

What might happen. Why moan about something that might happen. It is another cheap shot at WBC and totally unfounded at this point in time. It is just like all of the protests about the ASDA lights redesign with all of the experts on this forum predicting more traffic chaos. This didn't materialise. Yet none of the moaners came back on to admit that they were wrong, and to actually say that the problem had been resolved. :shock::shock::shock:

What might happen. Why moan about something that might happen. It is another cheap shot at WBC and totally unfounded at this point in time. It is just like all of the protests about the ASDA lights redesign with all of the experts on this forum predicting more traffic chaos. This didn't materialise. Yet none of the moaners came back on to admit that they were wrong, and to actually say that the problem had been resolved. :shock::shock::shock:

You may come on here with smug questions and answers Virginian; but just how much does it have to cost to get things right? How many times do they have to redesign a traffic system before it doesn't cause chaos?

You may think it is a cheap shot at WBC, but from where I am sitting WBC have made an unholy screw up of the whole episode: Westbrook lights (Nearly a million pounds of our money to create something that was never needed in the first place and which has been acknowledeged by the council itself)

LA Bowl lights: God knows how much they have cost but they have been an ongoing project for over 2 years 2 YEARS to put a set of bloody traffic lights in? If I came to decortae your living room or landscape your garden and it took two years, I'm damned sure I would be on an episode of rogue traders by now!

Add those to all the other examples of the nonsense that is WBC traffic planning and you see why people make such comments.... the bus lane outside the peace centre that buses don't use because it gives them the wrong lane to use. The new traffic lane markings on Sankey Way. The bus lane outside Tescos that caused mayhem and confusion when all the traffic had to suddenly merge into one lane from two (on a main route out of the town as well) The turning of a good dual carriage way outside Walton Crem into the widest cycle lane in Europe... should I go on?

If we are having a go at WBC it isn't doing any good because they are still making a hash of things and spending our poll tax in the process.

And finally to answer your last point.... the problem at the Westbrook lights hasn't been resolved to the point it was before they put the lights up; all that has happened is that traffic has started to avoid the things. Traffic from the Callands direction now regularly goes down the 60mph road behind ASDA and turns at the island and then past the seven woods and then takes the shortcut past..... the primary school! How do I know? Because I live around there and have seen the way the traffic has increasd down the rat run past the school and also through the Garwood roundabout to turn left in to ASDA. I myself now don't bother with the lights if I can help it and come the long way round to get home..... the problem hasn't been solved; merely shunted about a bit

Quote Virgin Ian" just another cheap shot at wbc "

I wish WBC would have a cheap shot at fixing the unbroken rather than very expensive shots at ruining the traffic system through my neighbourhood. Since the debacle at ASDA which has cost many hundreds of thousands of pounds for no benefit to the motorist or pedestrian traffic whatsoever they then decided to spend further council tax payers hard earned cash on a lighting system at Calver Road which was so badly flawed from the design stage onwards that it was deemed unsafe to allow them to be switched on. Now they are tinkering about with the lights to get them to pass the failed safety audit in a desperate attempt to save face rather than getting rid of them altoghther. Ian they are not cheap shots by the posters on here they are fully justified critisisms of a failing department within our Council. I for one have no confidence whatsoever in the officers making the decisions which affect the roads where I live and I am sure I am not alone. :roll:

You can't be serious? There was no traffic issue with the roundabout, now we have tailbacks on all sides, not as bad as the first incarnation of the lights admittedly, but are we supposed to applaud them for improving a dogs dinner of their own making, to a traffic situation that is still worse than what was there in the first place? That is utter balls and you know it.

The traffic situation is still a mess at Westbrook, it's just that we've given up complaining about it now as the council are not prepared to turn back the clock to the road layout where no traffic issues occured.

My comments relating to the LA Bowl lights, is purely that turning traffic left from Calver seems like it may be better than the inital idea; which when switched on resulted in tailbacks all the way to Callands, so they have been idle since that one morning for 15 months now. Of course what should have happened was no bloody lights there in the first place, but like Westbrook, WBC have created an issue where there was none, so now we'll have to settle for a not worst case scenario, rather than having the best solution.

Quote Virgin Ian" just another cheap shot at wbc "

I wish WBC would have a cheap shot at fixing the unbroken rather than very expensive shots at ruining the traffic system through my neighbourhood. Since the debacle at ASDA which has cost many hundreds of thousands of pounds for no benefit to the motorist or pedestrian traffic whatsoever they then decided to spend further council tax payers hard earned cash on a lighting system at Calver Road which was so badly flawed from the design stage onwards that it was deemed unsafe to allow them to be switched on. Now they are tinkering about with the lights to get them to pass the failed safety audit in a desperate attempt to save face rather than getting rid of them altoghther. Ian they are not cheap shots by the posters on here they are fully justified critisisms of a failing department within our Council. I for one have no confidence whatsoever in the officers making the decisions which affect the roads where I live and I am sure I am not alone. :roll:

Well said. You're forgetting as well the proposed speed bump scheme in Callands, which has now been cancelled, as once again they'd gone off on one without doing their research properly. If there's one thing WBC traffic management department can stand accused of, it's being about as incompetent and profligate as it is possible to be.

I find the arrogance of WBC traffic amazing. They keep makign mistakes, failign to apologise for the same and then costing the tax payer millions as a result.

Westbrook cost over ?750k and everyone admits its worse than it was before. It still needs work.

Calver road must have cost about ?250k so far and they havent switched it on yet.

To those who disagree, tell me its reasonable to spend ?1m on two sets of traffic lights one which has made the junction worse and one which hasnt done anything.

Surely as officers of the council they can be at least audited?

virgin ian

your opinion is that of a scared council employee who has done a poor job and cannot admit his mistake. Warrington road management is a shambles and the bumbling oafs that have made it so should be out of a job. perhaps you are one of them

your comments are not opinions or constructive but only the rantings of a scared little person whose follies have been exposed, so either shut up or justify the actions of a council department that jumps from one mess into another.

your opinion is that of a scared council employee who has done a poor job and cannot admit his mistake. Warrington road management is a shambles and the bumbling oafs that have made it so should be out of a job. perhaps you are one of them

I was waiting for some idiot to try an point a finger at me. I am not a council employee, just a warrington tax payer just like yourself who has a different opinion to you. Maybe you think that we should live in a communist state where you cant have a different opinion or view to the controlling dictators. You are half a DICtator wally, use your HEAD. :?:?:?:?