NIMBY Lymm?

observer

It doesn't work like that Diz; a truly "local" Ward Councillor (ie. lives in the ward), can lead the charge against bad developments in his/her ward; but can be outnumbered by the rest of the Councillors (who have an eye on the politics of every situation - usually refered to as "the greater good"!); and to powerfull special interests with the brown envelopes. :shock::wink:

What a load of shoe-makers' implements.

I'm not a Native of Lymm - I've only lived here 32 years - but I'd like to set the record straight from a long-term resident's viewpoint.

First, "the application for a take-away on the Heatley Mere estate." I can well understand why the residents don't want it. The estate is packed with as many houses as can possibly be fitted into a small space so car parking can't be easy if you've more than one vehicle. The retail units are bang in the middle of the housing so there's not going to be any space to accomodate the cars of the take-away's customers. These customers will have to drive to the take-away as the whole estate is 2 miles out of the village and not within easy walking distance of - anything really.

Second, "we're all wealthy in Lymm". Will you lot get a Life please?

There are parts of the village where the houses are very expensive, just like any where else in Warrington. There are a lot of new estates with ridiculously priced houses and there also a lot of people working all the hours God sends to meet the mortgage repayments. That is their choice, and I haven't a lot of sympathy, but these estates aren't any higher priced than others in the Borough. There are also an awful lot of people like me who live in nice but unglamourous homes. Not every house in Lymm is in the ?million bracket, for God's sake, and not every villager is a high-earning yuppy.

I get very teed off when members of this forum start to slag off the people of Lymm. If your envy and bitterness needs a channel why not look at some areas of Stockton Heath? Why not look at Warrington's outer villages where a standard semi-detached (like mine) is regarded as a hovel?

Kate, I also moved to Lymm 32 years ago - just after the drought summer of '76 when I was in short pants and just going up to junior school.

So we've both seen a lot of changes in the village, some of them good but most of them not.

I'd also put myself in the same camp as you. I'm not wealthy, probably upper working to lower middle class if that means anything anymore. I consider myself lucky to have been able to buy a house in the village I was brought up in, I stretched myself to get on the property ladder at just the right time and have since watched most my childhood friends get priced out - which I think is a bit of a shame.

Personally, I'm not against the proposed take-aways at Heatley Mere which, as you rightly point out, aren't actually in Lymm at all but are 2 miles outside it on a housing estate - closer to Partington than to Lymm. I'm not down that way so they don't affect me beyond maybe being able to get a decent pizza delivered.

I can understand the proposals being unpopular with those who do live on the estate and I sympathise to some extent. The big BUT is that two of the sites were built specifically as retail units and were on the plans of the development as a whole from day 1. I'm not sure what sort of retail businesses the current residents thought would open on a housing estate, but if they'd given it a moments thought they'd probably have come up with takeaways, so I'm thinking a bit of Caveat Emptor and "bring on the pizza."

Personally, I'm not against the proposed take-aways at Heatley Mere which, as you rightly point out, aren't actually in Lymm at all but are 2 miles outside it on a housing estate - closer to Partington than to Lymm.

Woah, woah, woah. Heatley Mere is closer to Lymm than Partington, surely? For practical purposes, Lymm extends all the way up Rushgreen Road as far the Bollin in my mind - and that's from someone who has a nan who lived up Pepper Street. But even so, the development is closer to the centre of Lymm village than it is to the centre of Partington.

I can understand the proposals being unpopular with those who do live on the estate and I sympathise to some extent. The big BUT is that two of the sites were built specifically as retail units and were on the plans of the development as a whole from day 1.

Exactly. Personally speaking, if I lived on the estate I'd welcome at least one takeaway. Two may be overkill though. I bet the residents would be even unhappier if it was a Tesco Express that was opening - you'd get even more noise and parking. No need for a newsagents and a greengrocers if the Co-op sells both ranges - how about a hairdressers instead? Or a bookies? :wink:

"A bookies"? So people can gamble their way out of the credit crunch, or get deeper into debt?

I'm sure the denizens of Heatley Mere would enjoy the odd flutter on the gee-gees - after all, they've probably made a bit of a punt buying new build houses in the present economic climate... oo-er...

You can never have too many hairdressers, Kate. Or perhaps a nail bar and beauty shop would be good. A sandwich shop - that's a growing market sector too :lol:

Woah, woah, woah. Heatley Mere is closer to Lymm than Partington, surely? For practical purposes, Lymm extends all the way up Rushgreen Road as far the Bollin in my mind - and that's from someone who has a nan who lived up Pepper Street. But even so, the development is closer to the centre of Lymm village than it is to the centre of Partington.

You're right, it probably is. But then I can remember when Lymm, Oughtrington, Broomedge and Heatley were all seperate villages with their own shops and green fields in between them. So I guess I've always thought of Heatley as the next-but-one village along Rushgreen Rd rather than as part of Lymm.

As I mentioned in another similar thread some time back, take a look at warrington north, particularly winwick road and count the steel sheds that pass themselves off as superstores, and pizza huts, and mcDs, and leisure clubs, and computer shops, and bathroom showrooms, and car showrooms...and on and on and on.

we have these supersized portaloo buildings where

is it any wonder other areas of warrington get annoyed at lymm, when we have 100's of these

tesco_warrington_main.jpg

on a road that used to look like

warrington_W29099.jpg

this type of construction ruins the apeal of areas, devalues the housing and the councilors who live in lymm, are happy to generate revenue by selling off land in our parts of warrington to these eyesores while maintaining their own green belt.

Its a great shop, I shop there regularly, don't know why it closes its back entrance in dallam lane making all the people from the residential areas of bewsey and dallam have to further congest winwick road though. I'd use it a lot more if it was always open not just match days.

doesnt change the fact that the building itself is an eysesore, but no more so than alban retail park, and all the other portaloo superstores that have ruined the landscape of "our village" :wink: