The End for Pink Ladies?

Bill

still on the case not going away still finding more information here is some

Bogus taxi drivers

Inside Out conducts a special investigation into the dangers posed by bogus taxi drivers.

We reveal how some bogus operators are deliberately preying on young women.

Ten years ago 22-year-old Rachel Thacker was brutally murdered in Manchester after getting into a bogus taxi.

Today the culture of binge drinking means more women than ever before are dicing with danger when they try to get a lift home.

We have learned that sex attacks linked to taxis are happening almost every fortnight in the Greater Manchester area.

Inside Out also has evidence which shows private hire vehicles are regularly breaking the law by stopping to pick up passengers for unbooked journeys.Manchester has a huge number of taxis and private hire vehicles which serve an important role in getting people home safely, especially late at night.

On a busy Saturday night there's 100,000 people in the city enjoying themselves.

The trouble is there's just over 900 black cabs and 2,000 private hire taxis to take them home, and a limited number of free buses running through the night.

The Council maintains there's enough taxis for everyoneBut some women are so drunk or desperate to get home after a night out, they are prepared to risk their lives by taking lifts home with strangers rather than waiting for licensed cabs.

Detectives call this "night hiking", but by doing it, women are taking enormous risks.

There are also many more women who are conned into thinking that bogus cabs are registered taxis.

So they sent in an undercover team from Inside Out.

one researchers stood on a corner at Deansgate Locks opposite an official taxi rank.

Within minutes a man driving a white car stopped - it was not a taxi.

Shortly afterwards another car stopped and offered to take the team home for ?15 - once again he was not a taxi.

Operation Talon

Operation Talon has been set up by Greater Manchester Police to try to prevent sex crimes in the force area.Police figures, revealed here for the first time by Inside Out, show that in the last year 22 sex attacks are being linked to taxis and private hire cars across the Greater Manchester area.

And these are just the reported crimes - the tip of the iceberg.

The man in charge of the operation is Detective Superintendent Mick Lay who has no illusions about what the police are up against:

"There's predators out there looking for vulnerable women."

Bert Jones is a black hackney cab driver who has been campaigning against bogus cabs for the last 15 years.

In 1991 he formed a voluntary group who successfully prosecuted over 200 bogus drivers called 'the organisation':

"At the time I was very angry personally something could have been done to make the risk less for Rachel, and nothing's been done 10 years on? It made me angry."

Part of their role is to deal with the threat from bogus taxi driversWe invited Rachel Christie, the head of Manchester City Council's Environmental Services department responsible for taxi licensing, to come and see the results of our investigation.

She responded as follows:

"We have very high standards for our existing taxi drivers and we're obviously undertaking action at every weekend we're out there undertaking enforcement against these taxi drivers.

"Anything we do is also very much with the help of the public so if anybody knows of anything then please let us know? but we will take action.. as you've seen on the video footage that you've already taken..."

"This is why we're taking the enforcement action because we really want to stamp this out.

"People should not be doing this and particularly women on their own , or just a couple of women, are really at risk when they're doing this..."

"Clearly what we do is undertake prosecutions against them because they are taking people and they are uninsured so we do take action against them.

"And it is disappointing to see that this is still happening so we need to continue to take the enforcement action.

Three licences required printed in warringtion garudian

Friday 25th January 2008

CHANGES have been made to licensing laws for people who use a car as part of their business.

From Monday, January 28, the law changes for those companies providing a vehicle with a driver.

If you use a vehilce to transport people or children (even if you don't charge) you need three private hire licences from the council; an operator's licence, a vehicle licence and a driver's licence.

Applicants also need to meet the following criteria: A criminal records bureau check, a medical examination and passing a knowledge test

Taxi firms see red over the ladies in pink.

(From Western Daily Press) Publication Date: 22-JUN-06

Taxi firms are in uproar over a new women-only service which has set up in Plymouth without being licensed.

Plymouth City Council officers met the Pink Ladies firm yesterday, and said it may take legal advice. The company only started operating in Plymouth this month, using women drivers to ferry female passengers and their children.

Estover-based Pink Ladies, running six distinctive pink Renault Kangoos, insists it is neither a hackney carriage outfit nor a private hire company.

It claims to exist as a members- only 'travel club' under an exemption under Section 75 of the Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1976.

It means that, alongside for-hire limos and airport transfer firms, it falls into a grey area where it is unclear whether vehicles have to be licensed by councils, the Government - or at all.

Pink Ladies stresses its vehicles are regularly serviced and Criminal Records Bureau checks are carried out on its fully-trained drivers. But private hire firms are furious that the company is avoiding licensing charges, and is able to operate beyond council regulations. They want the law changed because they fear it could create a precedent for other 'member-only' operations forming outside council control. Private hire companies pay the city council GBP1,000 a year for an operator's licence, plus GBP35 for each car and another GBP35 for each to take the council's vehicle test.

And drivers have to pay GBP190 for a three-year licence, on top of GBP685 to take a 'knowledge' test.

Les Palmer, boss of 28-vehicle Silverline taxis, said: "We are aggrieved. They (Pink Ladies) have got to abide by the same rules."

Harry Hunter-Young, boss of 26-cab Star Cars, said: "It's bang out of order. We have no objection to them (Pink Ladies) coming in - but they should be licensed."

He said a precedent could be created, and added: "If you let anyone come in unregulated it's bound to lead to problems."

The National Private Hire Association's Bryan Roland said: "We're discussing whether it's lawful and what action to take.

"We have been shouting that the legislation needs changing for 15 years - but here we are."

Peter Endean, of the Plymouth Limousine Association, said city limos were licensed by the Government's Vehicle and Operators Services Agency, and not the council, paying about GBP100 a year, and added: "Maybe they (Pink Ladies) have a good idea: a gimmick. But if you're operating anything for reward you have to have a licence of some description."

He said new legislation was not needed but the existing law needed to be clarified and enforced.

Jacky Carter, running the Plymouth Pink Ladies franchise, said: "It's like a private members' club; we don't need to be licensed."

But she said it would adhere to any city council decision and added: "If we have to be licensed, we will."

Warrington-based Pink Ladies director Andrea Winders said her firm was not in competition with private hire taxis and was in talks with the Department for Transport about coming 'directly under the ministry'. She added: "We haven't found a loophole - we're a unique company. We've set up correctly."

A council spokeswoman said: "Licensing officers will be meeting a representative of Pink Ladies to establish how the business operates and then, if required, we will seek legal advice."

Publication: Europe Intelligence Wire

Publication Date: 11-JAN-07

From Western Daily Press)

Controversial women- only 'taxi' firm Pink Ladies has ceased trading in Plymouth with the loss of a dozen jobs - seven months after it started.

The Plymouth franchise, famous for running seven bright pink Renault Kangoos around the city, said it would return fare money, paid in advance under a swipe card scheme, to all 1,800 of its 'member' customers.

Bosses are also trying to help its drivers find other work.

Exact details of why the Plymouth franchise has ceased operating from this week are unclear, but its demise follows the closure of other franchises in London and Carlisle.

Pink Ladies' Warrington head office said it was restructuring and a 'new way of trading' was being trialled.

A spokeswoman also said it was in negotiations with another Plymouth company about starting up a new franchise in the city.

Pink Ladies is now only operating in Warrington and St Helen's on Merseyside, but says it plans to open franchises in Edinburgh and Manchester.

Jacky Carter, who ran the Plymouth Pink Ladies franchise, said staff were devastated.

"They loved working for us; we were good employers," she said. "I'm desperately trying to get my girls jobs."

She added: "We had a good relationship with our customers.

"All members who are in credit will get their money."

Pink Ladies, which uses only women drivers to ferry female passengers and their children, caused controversy in Plymouth and across the country when it began operating by insisting it was not a taxi business.

It maintained it was neither a hackney carriage outfit nor a private hire company, claiming to exist as a members-only 'travel club' using an exemption under Section 75 of the Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1976.

It meant that, alongside for-hire limos and airport transfer firms, it fell into a grey area where it is unclear whether vehicles have to be licensed by councils, the Government - or at all.

When the Plymouth franchise was opened, city private hire firms were furious and claimed the new company was avoiding licensing charges and operating beyond council regulations.

It is understood talks are under way between Pink Ladies' head office and the Government about the position.

A spokeswoman at the Warrington head office said: "It's very sad that Pink Ladies Plymouth has ceased trading, and there are negotiations in progress with a local businessperson to take over the area, so giving minimal disruption to members, and any staff who wish to continue working in the business.

"The whole model for the company is changing, and a new way of trading is being trialled in Warrington and Edinburgh," she said.

"When the trials are complete new areas will be launched to continue to satisfy the demands for the service around the country."

John Preece, boss of city private hire firm Taxifast, said it was sad that the Pink Ladies franchise had ceased trading, but added: "From a transport operators' point of view the concept will never work."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look far back as 16th November 2006 the reports where going in about this but look at the end where the the council have there say

PINK Ladies is fighting on despite a new road safety law that stops it

operating without a licence.

The women-only cab company has arranged a meeting with transport minister Stephen Ladyman next Tuesday.

The Warrington-based firm has been rolling out franchises across the country but the House of Lords last week passed a bill to stop it working without a license.

The firm said it is not a taxi company, but a members club - and so it does not need to be licenced.

Pink Ladies members pay a membership fee and must have credit in their account before making a booking.

But that position has upset many licensed cabbies - and raised concerns about the safety implications.

Co-founder Andrea Winders said: "Stephen Ladyman recognises we are 100 per cent unique, and we are looking for a unique solution."

The firm has been invited to Buckingham Palace for its work with women and is backed by women's safety campaign the Suzy Lamplugh Trust. But Warrington and other local authorities have raised concerns relating to the firm's lack of public liability insurance and criminal record checks - all necessary for licensed firms.

Warrington Borough Council called a crisis conference in the summer, and days later the Government added an amendment to the road safety bill to stop Pink Ladies, which the House of Lords passed last week.

Phil Barnes, Warrington's taxi licensing officer, said: "The Government announced it is standing firm with the amendment and the exemption will probably be regulated from the spring.

"There will probably be a honeymoon period of several months after that."

Phil Johnson, head of transport at Warrington Borough Council, said: "Our priority is public safety."

here a new amendment which even names pink ladies as brakeing the law but its the council who as to inforce the law and are they so what are warringtion council doing ??? now you should be concerned

The second amendment will close a loophole that appears to have had the potential to undermine the principle of driver, vehicle and operator licensing contained in the 1976 Act. Section 75(1)(B) provides an exemption for operators, drivers and vehicles from the general licensing scheme where the vehicle in question carrys passengers for hire and reward under an exclusive contract for hire for seven days or more. A growing spread of 'car clubs' operating under the banner of Pink Ladies and othershas lately been seeking to take advantage of this exemption.

The government's view is that the exemption provided risks to public safety, particularly where children or vulnerable adults are being carried in unlicensed vehicles by unlicensed drivers.Ministersare said to have taken into account information from the trade and licensing authorities that use of the exemption is on the increase; that character and background checks should be conducted by licensing authorities rather than contracting bodies; and that some contracting bodies (taking advantage of the exemption) may not carry out any background checks at all.

and they did in 07 in came into action in jan 08

Not wanting to appear rude here TD... but I think you are wasting your time.

If PL's were still operating outside of the 'laws' then someone, somewhere would have intervened by now and stopped them. But they haven't :wink:

Seems that whatever PL's have done (wether that is in the way they employ their staff, the way their members join, the way their vehicles are managed... or whatever) they seem to have once again overcome their licencing 'problem'.

Saying that there do not seem to be as many of the pink cars on the roads these days :?

Dismayed

A failure by a local council to take action doesn?t necessarily mean that everything?s hunky dory, it just means that they?ve taken no action. :roll:

Steve?s posts aren?t the easiest to understand at times but much of what?s said does raise important questions especially in how this issue has been handled (or not). I agree that to some extent he is probably wasting his time posting here because of apathy and the lack of interest in this long running saga.

Bill :)

• 5 months later...

You may remember me from the original thread.

My daughter and myself bought the Hull franchise and lost 22k before it even got off the ground. The franchise agreement stated it was a Ladies only 'Private Hire' business, but a few days after we signed up Pink Ladies decided they were removing all their plates and going unlicensed.

On this basis we decided to pull out and sue for breach of Franchise Agreement as it was no longer 'private hire'

Our case was progressing well when Pink Ladies went into administration ( the first time !!).

My daughter has just telephoned me this evening to say while I was out I've had a phone call from a lady in Cardiff who has recently purchased a Pink Ladies franchise license and further spent another 10k on marketing , but the business is not going well at all and she is being hassled by her local council in Cardiff re licencing issues.

Apparently Tina ( one of the PL Directors), has told her that shes not running the business properly and thats why shes losing money... where have I heard that before.

This lady found me on Companies House website and was calling to see how my franchise was getting along !! Poor woman was completely unaware of everything that has gone on before.

She would not leave her name or number but has promised to call back on Saturday to catch me home.

So looks like PL are trying to rip off more people for Franchises.

hi pinkperson could you email me off record I would grateful to hear your story and where you are now and how its affected your life and your views on the pink ladies and what advice you can give to help others you can just pm me and send me you email or just look on my profile you will see mine if that?s better for you why I said pm is I can confirm by a password so on the email I know its from you and not fake

Statement

Pink ladies

David Boyer, head of sustainable transport at the council said:

?There is to be a pre trial review tomorrow at Warrington Magistrates court following the conclusion of an investigation by the Council?s taxi and private hire enforcement officers earlier this year.

?Enforcement work is continuously undertaken to ensure the safety of passengers and that all legal requirements are met in relation to taxi and private hire licensing.

?Each of the company?s directors has received summons detailing six separate offences in relation to operating an unlicensed private hire company, operating unlicensed vehicles, employing an unlicensed driver and operating uninsured vehicles.

?The scheduled pre trial review will consider any points of law that need clarifying before the main court appearance, determining the number of witnesses required, how long the court will be in session and to set a date for the court hearing.?

Ends

Issued by: Katy Block, Press Officer

Date: Tuesday 5 May 2009

Release: Immediate

From what I?m reading elsewhere, it rather looks like Pink Ladies have finally gone into insolvency. No doubt we will be hearing more officially in the coming days as things get sorted out but it looks like again another company is set to rise from the ashes.

I HAD made the assumption (silly me!) that this referred to the Pink Lady/Hospital Volunteers!

:oops:

Seems the two PL owners are turning the tide in the direction of Warrington Borough Council and making WBC appear to be the bad guys in all this. Clever and that's women for you :wink:

One of many news articles.....

http://www.motorstoday.co.uk/WOMENS-CLUB-FACING-COURT-OVER-CAB-BUSINESS.2199.news

One question I have though is WHY do Pink Ladies seem to change their company name(s) and other company appointment details etc so often :?

If these women were really that clever they wouldn?t have had their business fail twice! The fact that they say the queen thinks it a good idea and they have celebrity endorsements doesn?t alter the fact that they should comply with basic safety rules.

If these women were really that clever they wouldn?t have had their business fail twice!

Twice :?

Despite everything 'they' (or someone :wink: ) must have be doing something 'right' as Pinks have never actually stopped trading so I wouldn't class that as failing :wink: I'd class that as succeeding :?

You've almost answered your own question already :wink:

One question I have though is WHY do Pink Ladies seem to change their company name of often?

The thing is Dizzy one person?s view of success is very often another?s nightmare and I suspect the creditors and the staff that went unpaid might see things differently.

If these women were really that clever they wouldn?t have had their business fail twice!

Despite everything 'they' (or someone :wink: ) must have be doing something 'right' as Pinks have never actually stopped trading so I wouldn't class that as failing :wink: I'd class that as succeeding :?

You obviously struggle to grasp the basics of running a business Dis if you think that continuing to trade after going bump and re-opening again as a different company is succeding!

Changing names and wiping out your debts is only a paper thing, the actual running of the business tends to go on regardless as the directors or someone they appoint usually buys up the assets of the defunkt business for a pittance instead of them being sold on the open market for their true value. (Mind you, I would imagine the true market value for a pink Kangoo is about ?30.00)

It is a nasty, horrible and downright unethical thing to do and both of the directors of this failed operation should be ashamed of their behaviour

I think that a certain young lady is trying to wind us blokes up more than anything else. :wink:

I?ve just been reading up a bit more on what?s happening and it seem that the council are pushing the sexual issue more than the none compliance with taxi legislation.

I can?t help but think this is a bit ironic because to be closed down for running an unlicensed operation is one thing but to fall foul of a silly European equality ruling is something else.

Had the firm not chosen the unlicensed route, I doubt this prosecution would be taking place because most reasonable people understand and accept the thinking behind a ladies only taxi service.

I believe even if found guilty, they could still continue to run in much the same way retaining their basic ideals but whether they do or not will be a measure of their true commitment.

Dis, are you taking the women together stance, are you naive or are you just not listening?

Eh ? Would you like to explain why you are suddenly being so ratty :shock:

:roll:

What exactly did I say (or do you think I said :wink: ) that rattled your cage to such an extent and no I'm definately not naive and I always listen :D

Typical man :P

You obviously struggle to grasp the basics of running a business Dis if you think that continuing to trade after going bump and re-opening again as a different company is succeding!

Changing names and wiping out your debts is only a paper thing, the actual running of the business tends to go on regardless as the directors or someone they appoint usually buys up the assets of the defunkt business for a pittance instead of them being sold on the open market for their true value. (Mind you, I would imagine the true market value for a pink Kangoo is about ?30.00)

It is a nasty, horrible and downright unethical thing to do and both of the directors of this failed operation should be ashamed of their behaviour

YEP... I know all that thanks and I agree with everything you say :wink:

I certainly don't struggle with the basics of running businesses though as I've been doing it successfully for quite a few years now without the need for such underhand tactics 8)

I think that a certain young lady is trying to wind us blokes up more than anything else. :wink:

I wouldn't do such a thing. Men don't need women to wind them up as they somehow manage to do it themselves :lol::lol:

I wouldn't do such a thing. Men don't need women to wind them up as they somehow manage to do it themselves :lol::lol:

Miaow. Put your claws back in Tiger.

I?ve just been reading up a bit more on what?s happening and it seem that the council are pushing the sexual issue more than the none compliance with taxi legislation.

In which case then why has the emphasis always been put on their lack of licencing and other private/taxi hire legislation ?

If the council are now going down the 'sexual' [ie females only] route then I guess PL's don't actually need to be licenced after all (for whatever reason) and this is the council's only hope.

Surely most people don't really have a problem with the fact that they offer a 'Ladies Only' service. I certainly don't and the concept is a really good idea. (although they did have a pink partners car which apparently would take males too :? ) . Could soon get rid of that though :D

I can?t help but think this is a bit ironic because to be closed down for running an unlicensed operation is one thing but to fall foul of a silly European equality ruling is something else.

I don't think they will be closed becasue of equality as the PL's concept has already gained respect in other countries and like I've already said it is a good idea. But unless a load of men suddenly start complaining that they can't go home in pink cars (which I can't see them doing somehow :lol: ) then there is no problem and the equality issue should not really a factor :lol:

Had the firm not chosen the unlicensed route, I doubt this prosecution would be taking place because most reasonable people understand and accept the thinking behind a ladies only taxi service.

Yep... but once again it's been the fact that they are unlicensed that seems to have kept them in the headlines and caused all the discussions. Saying that it's free advertising :lol:

I believe even if found guilty, they could still continue to run in much the same way retaining their basic ideals but whether they do or not will be a measure of their true commitment.

Their commintment and determination seems very high to me... but that's women for you :D:wink: