Bigger Blue bins!!!!

Peter T

The original literature about the green bins did say "no kitchen waste".

All that goes in my green bin is the stuff that doesn't break down easily - pruned twigs and branches, hedge clippings, that sort of thing. All the uncooked fruit and veg waste, as well as weeds and lawn clippings, goes in my compost bin in the back garden. It rots down and makes good compost that can be dug into the garden soil.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got a green bin so don't have to worry about it :D

I'm quite looking forward to my new blue bin (as long as the lid shuts :wink: ) Still annoys me that we can't put shredded paper in the blue one even though although I have read why :cry: Guess I'll just burn it all instead.... or is that bad for the ozone :P

Only thing that may start to annoy me is the fact that I will have two larger bins cluttering what little space I have which may always be half empty :?

I was going to ask for two smaller sized bins as suggested ealier but sense tells me that I should keep the larger ones for now incase we go to a two week pickup for both the black and blue bins :shock:

Guess it will happen once we aren't all putting everything in our black bins :wink: No pont in emptying bins that aren't full eh 8)

How much has this cost us? :?:roll::wink:

I was informed today, that it is costing us zilch.

The contractors have paid for everything and are the people doing the sorting.

The benefit, is the financial savings made on reduced charges on tonnage going to the tip.

Dismayed,

Your shredded paper goes into the black bins for dumping at the tip.

Her indoors says we will carry on recycling and use the blue bin for papers etc only.

Who am I to argue? :oops::shock:

Seems some councils ARE accepting shredded paper in the kerbside collections PROVIDING it is put in an envelope (used of course :wink: ) or a paper bag.

By doing this the shredded stuff does not get blown about everywhere (which seems to be a problem) and it can easily be seperated from the other paper at the sorting depot :D

Can we do that :D

Also, if you have a log burner you can actually make compact paper logs out of your waste paper.. the gadgets cost about ?18 and the logs will burn for 1 - 2 hous (or so they say)

And on a lighter note... have you noticed that when you shred your stuff it takes up far more space that it did before :shock: I have shredded the contents of about 5 box files of old stuff over the past few days and it filled 6 bin sacks :shock:

Guess I need to clear out and shred more often so it doesn't build up :lol::wink:

I suppose on a fortnighly basis the amount of stuff I will actually have to shred will be minimal so perhaps it doesn't matter that it can't go in the blue bin really.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the first collection day for the new blue bins in Lymm.

Or is it?

People just don't know. Some have put out BOTH blue bins, some have put just the old one and some have put just the new one. Some have put neither. And of course the black bins are out too.

The confusion, n eedless to say, lies with the council.

If you read the label on the new bin, it should be out today.

If you read the label on the old one, it should be put out on October 15.

If you read the leaflet delivered with the new bin, you shouldn't put either blue bin out today but should put the old one out on October 15 when it will be both emptied and then taken away.

I rang the council to clarify the situation and was told neither blue bin should be put out today.

I'm interested to see whether any of the numerous blue bins lining the streets today will in fact be emptied.

Not sure about Lymm but you have some key strategic councillors who should be able to help answer your question give them a phone call.

Here is windy wet Cinny Brow - we had all three colours out and contents emptied yesterday and we our expecting the mini blues to be collected today.

My question is I've left some local newspapers and magazines inside will the blue bins go is they are NOT empty?

Not sure about Lymm but you have some key strategic councillors who should be able to help answer your question give them a phone call.

Here in windy & wet Cinny Brow - we had all three colours out and contents emptied yesterday and we our expecting the mini blues to be collected today.

My question is I've left some local newspapers and magazines inside. Will they collect the blue bins if they are NOT empty?

Today is the first collection day for the new blue bins in Lymm.

Or is it?

People just don't know. Some have put out BOTH blue bins, some have put just the old one and some have put just the new one. Some have put neither. And of course the black bins are out too.

The confusion, n eedless to say, lies with the council.

If you read the label on the new bin, it should be out today.

If you read the label on the old one, it should be put out on October 15.

If you read the leaflet delivered with the new bin, you shouldn't put either blue bin out today but should put the old one out on October 15 when it will be both emptied and then taken away.

I rang the council to clarify the situation and was told neither blue bin should be put out today.

I'm interested to see whether any of the numerous blue bins lining the streets today will in fact be emptied.

Whoever you spoke to at the Council gave you totally incorrect information as today was the first collection day for the new blue bins.

A lot of my neighbours didn't seem to have a clue which blue bin to put out but the literature that came with the new bins made it very clear. The old, paper-only bin should be put out on the next paper-collection day, when they will take it away; in my case, that's October 17th. New blue bins are being collected from 30 September and the dates are on the sticker on your bin. Mine said - 1 October - today.

I put out my new blue bin and my black bin and both were emptied, as were those of all neighbours who put the right bins out.

No problem round here .....

Most people put their old small blue bins out today (so I did :? ) and they have all now been taken away along with all the ones that are constantly left out by their owners :evil:

It looks much tidier now :D .... ooooh that's cos we haven't actually had our new ones yet :shock::wink:

Perhaps they will forget any only give them to those of us here who want them this time :wink:

No problem round here .....

Most people put their old small blue bins out today (so I did :? ) and they have all now been taken away along with all the ones that are constantly left out by their owners :evil:

It looks much tidier now :D .... ooooh that's cos we haven't actually had our new ones yet :shock::wink:

Perhaps they will forget any only give them to those of us here who want them this time :wink:

Isn't that typical though? From what they've said they have finished delivering new bins so you're obviously not getting any. You'll have to do virtual recycling. :wink:

Those round here who left out their old, small blue bins had them very carefully ignored by the bin men. Is there a different method of operation for every area? :roll:

If you walk around the estate Geoff, you will see that due to the inability of the council to say when the little blue bins are being collected they are just being left out as people are just fed up of taking them in and out, Talk about booze ups in breweries!!!

Well our old ones were taken on the correct day which is a start..

I was joking earlier about not having a new one but after KateOF's post I decided I'd better check to see if I should have one yet :shock:

Council webs site states :

Important Council Information

Due to difficulties with shipping and custom and excise restrictions, some of the council?s blue bins will be late arriving at our Warrington Depot.

The impact of this to our residents is that some households will encounter delays in receiving their blue bon.

The removal of the old smaller blue bins will continue as planned. We encourage residents to utilise the council?s Community Recycling Centres and recycling facilities in the meantime.

Unfortunately these delays are outside of the councils control..

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to our residents.

For up to date information you can visit our website at: www.recycleforwarrington.co.uk

:?:?:roll:

Got our new bins emptied for the first time today at 6:30am and I guarantee that nobody on our road slept through the resultant racket.

Something that I?d never ever considered is obvious the increase in noise that?s bound to occur when cans and bottles go crashing and smashing into an empty truck in the early hours. In comparison, the sound of the other bins being emptied isn?t a problem.

I think there are going to be quite a few complaints about the new bins especially where they?re being collected so early in the morning.

Bill :)

Ooops... I always used to put the odd glass jar etc in my ordinary bin. Didn't know we weren't supposed to :shock:

One good side of the extra noise of emptying our new bins (when we get them :roll: ) will be that it will hopefully wake my sleepy teenager up for school.... can they come every day please :lol:

The fact that the broken glass gets into all the rest of the recycling does cause a problem with recylcing - you end up with a much less valuable product which is why it is actually much better to separate at source. WCC think that they've gone for the more popular option in that people will only need a single bin but they've not considered what then happens to it. Also, they really should be looking at doing food waste collections, hopefully in the near future......