Wealth = Health !

observer

A World Health Organisation Study has found that social deprivation are the main cause of ill health and lower life spans. :shock: Errm, a fairly obvious conclusion one would think, question is: what are we to do about it and in the case of third world starvation in areas of food shortages, shouldn't something be done to reduce demand by reducing birth rates? :?:wink:

I found the report from BBC this morning very patronising, it had an inferance that poor people are living their lives wrecklessly with smoking and drinking and poor diet, where the rich do everything so well and we should all live by their example.

well if we could all afford to there wouldnt be the divide...AGGGHH!

and when life is not good to you, you need to escape, if your rich you can escape to the bahamas, when your poor your options are limited, and unfortunately drugs and drink are not as expensive as the bahamas.

they failed to pick up on the reason people live in the less afluent areas is because they cant afford the nicer areas, this may be because they were poorly educated, therefor life skills such as nutrition,cooking are short so they eat poorly, and acedemic skills keep them at best in low paying work.

also cooking healthy meals is not as cheap as they make out, ok basic content of a meal may be cheaper than fast food but by the time you factor in condements, cooking utensils, fuel, bulk buying something that goes beyond todays meal, it gets expensive for those that have to live for today. Just open your well stocked cupboard and rack up the costs of salt, pepper, stock cubes.

I found the report from BBC this morning very patronising, it had an inferance that poor people are living their lives wrecklessly with smoking and drinking and poor diet, where the rich do everything so well and we should all live by their example.

Without checking the wording of the report, I got the impression that they were comparing a low income area with a reletively higher income area, not with the very rich who can jet off to the Bahamas when it suits

well if we could all afford to there wouldnt be the divide

In the main you are completely incorrect. In younger days I smoked 30 a day & drank 60 pints a week - at todays prices that equates to approx ?850 per month which now more than pays my ?100,000 mortgage, so if an average smoker & drinker spending ?300 per month on these were to stop, they would be able to afford housing in a more expensive area

also cooking healthy meals is not as cheap as they make out, ok basic content of a meal may be cheaper than fast food but by the time you factor in condements, cooking utensils, fuel, bulk buying

Try shopping at TJ Hughes for cooking implements & stop making excuses. People choose to smoke, drink, have intercourse without being in a stable relationship, eat poor food take drugs etc etc