Peace Centre?

observer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess if Warringtonians had a vote as to whether they wanted these white elephants or not, there wouldn't be any! :wink:

Well despite observer's implied insult direceted at the center and the people who use, run and support it I think it has been very worthwhile.

It's success is acknowledged world wide not only from the international supporters and charities but also from the many many children and others who have benefitted from it's existence both near and throughout the UK.

Thank you Peter.

As for Obbs, maybe if some Warringtonians took their heads out of their posteriors they might just recognise there are bigger issues at stake. Then I wouldn't need any words at all.

Wolfie- stick to the colouring books. Funny how the kids who go to the Peace Centre could understand my point in their sleep and you can't, apparently. Pathetic and embarrassing. :lol:

Goon, The most important part of a story is the first paragraph. If you haven't caught the reader's attention within the first few words you may well lose them. If you haven't grabbed their interest by the end of the paragraph you'll definitely lose them.

You appear to have lost the readers attention 2 years ago :wink:

However in the case of my colouring books I do suport your last statement

I wouldn't need any words at all

:wink::wink::P:P

PS Unfortunately the Peace centre does look like rotten wood and does look like it's about to fall down :(

What does the peace centre actually do?

The Peace Centre is home to three organisations - The NSPCC, The Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace and the Warrington Youth Club.

As you can imagine all three organisations have different roles with the underlying theme of working with young people.

If you are really interested to find out more just pop along and find out.

Am I right in thinking that the peace centre is at most a small part of other originations who rents most of the establishment like? The Warrington youth group in addition to the NSPCC?. The peace side is simply a small part, although if I am not mistaken that not a lot of Warrington youths are participating in the peace side only when dignitaries come round then they use the Warrington youth side i.e. using number youths to publicize the peace sides. Why currently are we were still going on and on every one was working to one goal and that was peace with northern land. But now other countries are still at war like the Arab countries so are they working with them? or do we still have to remember every day about that day in warringtion. if so then in this situation let's remember other days like Enniskillen (11 people dead) M62 bombing (eight off-duty soldiers and two young children) Birmingham pub bombing (21 people were killed) Omagh (which killed 28 people) which as distorted more lives the list just goes on and on so what happened in warringtion is small in the peace works.

Its hard to interpret what the peace aspect dose as it?s a closed shop they will have utilities additional youth groups when the limelight train comes to town so as Gary say you can go and find out Tara in the passed as published what goes on however Tara was in on in the youth side and was at no time asked to go to the peace side. Furthermore, as you say no one knows what happens on that side only when adults get this and that and meet VIP never see the youth getting the publicity do we but in my discovery not a lot of Warrington people what to get to the charity as it gets too much publicity and no attention to the youth in warringtion people are reluctant to give donations although big business want too as its good publicity for them as every one in England knows about. what happened in warringtion

Yes but is this going to be the Peace center aspect or all whom resided at the center? Because this would once again be a cop out as this would give the wrong impression. The youth side and the NSPCC are supported in other ways and are charities in their own right and do not need to run by the peace side. However, most of all this would give the impression that peace side are governing, and that it's all togather which obviously they are not, although I will be prepared to study what is going to be published. When I have expressed there are additional charities that have missed out in the passed years due to the over whelming publicity which the peace side have received where additional small charities get none. I was pleased to see that the posters poll this year decided to give others a chance. The youth side has done a grate job with youths on the youth center side here in warringtion, and I can say that with Tara being involved is the passed years.

However, I hope that this publicity is not asking us all yet again to donate. It would be nice to hear from the youth, and I hope that Gary as followed this by getting stories from the youths and not the adults.

I know Gary is fully supportive to the peace center and if Tara knows I am saying this she will have a go at me, but if I do not say this but yet the felling is out there in the general public it will never get said so I hope it will be out in the open to discuss and for us to have an adult conversation on this matter, and I hope that the governors of the peace center will come on and ex plane some this that we all feel should be asked.

White elephant, Obbs? Dealing with the root causes of terrorism a white elephant?!

As for those who don't know what goes on in the Peace Centre, well, DUH. There really isn't any excuse and even less so after Gary's work in WWW's next edition.

Wolfie, the most important part is my first sentence after thanking Peter. I work from the point of view that this cannot be settled by a soundbite and I'm more likely to think there is a case of 'lalala I'm not listening' rather. :wink: More likely your problem is your priorities are wrong. I'll overlook the insult about the wood- but I'll offer you a Chicken Challenge: say all this to Colin Parry's face, eh? :twisted::lol:

But getting back to the topic, TD, the Peace Centre IS the anti-dote to the selectiveness mentality which made the Bridge Street bombing so prominent and more to the point, relegated other terrorist atrocities to a footnote. The media and a lot of the public may have been guilty, but not the parents of the boys, yet things get twisted to make it the other way round. You'd think some big sinister conspiracy was brewing in the Centre!

How about reading:

www.foundation4peace.org

And you will discover:

That the Peace Centre is doing something PRACTICAL aboutyour call: "let's remember other days like Enniskillen (11 people dead) M62 bombing (eight off-duty soldiers and two young children) Birmingham pub bombing (21 people were killed) Omagh (which killed 28 people) which as distorted more lives the list just goes on and on so what happened in warringtion is small in the peace works." Hmmm.

Let me give you my angle. The key to my thinking lies with the events of 1992, not 1993.

The Teebane Massacre

The Bookies Murders

The Baltic Exchange Bombing

The first two didn't get really a mention in the mainland press. The third did, and it was because The City was hit, and cost almost twice as much as the entire Northern Ireland Troubles did.

The first, the Teebane Massacre, was when the IRA blew up workmen travelling to repair a police station. That same night, the Secretary for State Peter Brooke was on the Gay Byrne Show in Dublin and no-one showed no interest in Northern affairs, and sang a silly song instead, now in fairness to him he apologised right there on the spot, but Unionist politicians tried to press him to resign, so the mainland papers and MPs accused the Unionists of vindictiveness, and there were shouting matches in the lobbies in Parliament upon the lines of "Our victims are more important than yours, nener, nyaa!"

Then there was controversy over a turning down of compensation to people in Belvoir Park over the bombing of the Northern Ireland Forensic Science Centre. At the same time as the fuss over the Baltic Exchange. The 15 year old girl who was killed in the Baltic Exchange bombing was scarcely mentioned.

Why Warrington was different was because the place is smaller, off the beaten track, and the victims were kids. I had no problem with the major media fuss, and saw it on similar lines to the murder of James Bulger, but unlike the latter, the former had a much bigger context, and I was enraged when the same focus was not given to other children hit by terrorism, in England as well as over here. I saw the danger.

What the selectiveness mentality leads to is:

People being one-sided in their analysis of the situation and in their grieving- even decent people over here seemed to only list the dead on their own side, and the English were no less guilty.

And where does it lead to?

Terrorism on both sides, and a call for withdrawal (implying Irish terrorists can do what they like to the law abiding citizens and that the only time the IRA was wrong was when they hit England). Or even English members of Irish terrorist organisations- one of whom founded the Provisional IRA.

Therefore the Peace Centre is needed to neutralise this.

Maybe one day the unenlightened in Warrington will wake up to this.

It's the key to why the IRA bombed your town in the first place and to understanding how to neutralise terrorism and make sure they lose. It's about preventing an action replay if possible and making sure that is the case elsewhere.

At least we have found out why so many charities are always after money of us...... they keep sticking it away in foreign bank accounts instead of spending it on charity works.

I was absolutely appaled to see how many tens of millions of pounds that charities had stashed away in Icelandic banks; while still pleading poverty and hitting us with the sob stories

Roccos can have my money from now on; at least it's local!

1-0 to the IRA then :(

The irony is the Irish Republicans recognise what the locals do not- the Peace Centre has a moral authority that cannot be gainsaid, but I've had my suspicions for years that too many Warringtonians still don't get it, never mind the idiots and blackguards here at home.

Now we have all these conspiracy theories knocking around.

What is this? Some sort of campaign to stop the Centre or what? Get a grip, folks!

Plenty of Muslims come. Are you even aware of the work in Oldham that they do, or the work in Leeds?

To say that I should get real is something you should say to yourself. The fact is, the Peace Centre is more than just a memorial, and to imply nothing goes on there or that young people cannot be talked out of extremism is a bare-faced lie. To be honest, it confirms for me that the real motives for all this negative talk about the Peace Centre are entirely political, ideological and suggests that some people in Warrington aren't interested in trying at least to solve the problem of terrorism, lust for power, and extremism.

For all your spouting about terrorism and all, the overall effect is that you seem to be muddying the waters in such a way as to make people feel this problem cannot be solved.

Check their website! You will see how many young people have come through their doors.

It seems to me that it's the older folks who are the real danger. Oh wait- because of hoods in the town, you seem very prejudiced against the younger generation.

Plus supporting the Peace Centre would damage your desire to tar certain groups of people with the same brush.

Show me your evidence that the situation with the Peace Centre is not what it claims to be.

Are you serious about these problems being worked on or not?

And when are you going to go to the Centre and tell the people who run it all this to their faces?

I bet you aren't.

Pathetic.

Goon wrote

I'll overlook the insult about the wood- but I'll offer you a Chicken Challenge: say all this to Colin Parry's face, eh?

Say all what to CP's face :?:? that the peace centre looks like it's about to fall down? That the wood that it's built from looks like it's rotting?

Neither of those statements deter from what the peace centre does for the community. I have no doubt that CP would agree with me.

Having said that why should I fear confronting CP about anything?? :?:?

I have never met the man nor do I particularly wish to meet him, but if I did I can assure you that if needed I would be prepared to challenge him about anything. :roll:

I didn't know anything much about the Peace Centre until quite recently and also thought that it was a bit of a memorial. However, on listening to a representative from there I was very impressed with the work they did, in particular in bringing together the pupils from two opposing schools and backgrounds in Leeds, if they do even a small thing (and believe me it was much more than a small thing!) in helping those kids work together then it's very worthwhile.

Yes but is this going to be the Peace center aspect or all whom resided at the center? Because this would once again be a cop out as this would give the wrong impression. The youth side and the NSPCC are supported in other ways and are charities in their own right and do not need to run by the peace side. However, most of all this would give the impression that peace side are governing, and that it's all togather which obviously they are not, although I will be prepared to study what is going to be published. When I have expressed there are additional charities that have missed out in the passed years due to the over whelming publicity which the peace side have received where additional small charities get none. I was pleased to see that the posters poll this year decided to give others a chance. The youth side has done a grate job with youths on the youth center side here in warringtion, and I can say that with Tara being involved is the passed years.

However, I hope that this publicity is not asking us all yet again to donate. It would be nice to hear from the youth, and I hope that Gary as followed this by getting stories from the youths and not the adults.

I know Gary is fully supportive to the peace center and if Tara knows I am saying this she will have a go at me, but if I do not say this but yet the felling is out there in the general public it will never get said so I hope it will be out in the open to discuss and for us to have an adult conversation on this matter, and I hope that the governors of the peace center will come on and ex plane some this that we all feel should be asked.

TD Steve - I think you are missing the point - again! :roll:

The newsletter is one for the Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for peace - not all the occupants of the Peace Centre.

As a patron of the Peace Centre it would be a little remiss of me not to be supportive of it.

Having said that I am also a Trustee of Warrington Disability Partnership, a founding member of the local charity SPARC, a supporter of Claire house Hospice and St Rocco's and many other numerous local charities.

Gary Wrote

Having said that I am also a Trustee of Warrington Disability Partnership, a founding member of the local charity SPARC, a supporter of Claire house Hospice and St Rocco's and many other numerous local charities.

You don't own a trumpet by any chance :wink: