Favourite track of all time

tonymaillman

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no im not kate :) a little more grey now :) i have listened to artie shaw since the early 50s and he is my favorite bandleader i have about 20cds of him,i listen to him a lot as well as benny goodman.

i will put another classic on later when i have a bit more time,its really surprising what you find on you tube isnt it. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Been trawling through my Music Favourites, this evening, and here's a track I adore. My late husband bought me a double album in 1969, the 25th anniversary of Miller's disappearance, just because it had this track which we both loved.

This is Miller's arrangement of the standard Blues classic. I think it's just fabulous.

i think that was one of his best recordings,i dont mind listening to miller i much prefer goodman,shaw and dorsey here's one of my favorite dorsey tracks,i remember breaking this record as a young lad much to the annoyance of my g/father he only went out and bought another one. try this kate.

Artie, Kate and Jerry

This is a fascinating thread and I would like to butt in occasionally.

But could you please give a hint of who is on the links you paste in. My broadband is often a bit slow and I sit there waiting patiently only to find it is something I really don't want to hear.

I do like Shaw, Goodman, Dorsey, Miller, et all but I am a bit selective in what I like.

Kate. Like you, I regret not studying music more in my youth. I did play guitar and piano but (as you may recall from earlier posts I have made) my musical tastes were and still are, far in advance of my abilities, which leads to a lot of frustration.

I have solved the problem to an extent my purchasing a Yamaha keyboard on which I can, on a good day and when the wind is in the right direction, sound quite professional. Others may not appreciate the sounds I make, but it beats watching TV.

We skipped the light fandango

Turned cartwheels cross the floor

I was feeling kinda seasick

But the crowd called out for more

The room was humming harder

As the ceiling flew away

When we called out for another drink

The waiter brought a tray

And so it was that later

As the miller told his tale

That her face, at first just ghostly,

Turned a whiter shade of pale

She said, there is no reason

And the truth is plain to see.

But I wandered through my playing cards

And would not let her be

One of sixteen vestal virgins

Who were leaving for the coast

And although my eyes were open

They might have just as wellve been closed

She said, Im home on shore leave,

Though in truth we were at sea

So I took her by the looking glass

And forced her to agree

Saying, you must be the mermaid

Who took neptune for a ride.

But she smiled at me so sadly

That my anger straightway died

If music be the food of love

Then laughter is its queen

And likewise if behind is in front

Then dirt in truth is clean

My mouth by then like cardboard

Seemed to slip straight through my head

So we crash-dived straightway quickly

And attacked the ocean bed

Guest tonymailman

Very true wolfie ......... Brooker claiming to have been solely responsible for the music and Reid the lyrics, but as the claim by Fisher proved (filed originally in 2005) seemingly not the case with the music ........ you'd have thought Fisher would have filed it before 2005 .... not 38 years later.

• 2 weeks later...

I nearly missed that one, Artie. I remember them but I wasn't a big fan, I had discovered Elvis by the mid 50s. :wink:

This chap was huge in the early 50s but this was the only song of his I ever liked. Listening to it now I don't know what people saw in him, weedy little soul that he was - and not really a great singer either. :lol:

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKxbEtevitI&feature=related