Lost Treasures 2

Keithy T

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, this is a ploy! My only explanation is that too much time was spent at the Cat and Fiddle pub at the end of a hard day's shooting. It's a weak excuse but one I will have to stick by until next week.

Oh by the way, Sunday sees us not too far away at the lost castle of Dunham Massey where we follow the trail of the Templar Knights and ask what these guys doing these days.

Thanks for your kind words Indy.

LOL@TMM!

I am in full agreement with you on the Victorians, Tony, I thought it appropriate and ironic to introduce the JH Round pore over the charters brigade as a counter to the romanticisers, to show the wildly contradictory legacy Victorian historians have given to us. We are firmly on the charter side. The romanticisers did things like blacken the Black Prince's tomb in Canterbury Cathedral, when the man himself was known as Edward of Woodstock in his own time and the epithet 'Black Prince' was posthumous, and designed the tomb himself, specifically stipulating that the tomb was to be gold, as it has been thankfully repainted. The coolest grave of all time, apart from Pharaoh Tutankhamun's sarcophagus. :)

I totally agree, the tomb of Edward is outstanding, despite being wrecked by Cromwell's mob during the civil war when the original jupon and sword were stolen :D .......... love to know how that one was discovered :D ........ can just see an early saxon or viking smith who had no water left in his barrel/bucket to temper any iron after forging, so aptly thought 'oh sod it' :D and peed on the pieces as they emerged from the forge :D

It is the first time I have used this forum so please bear with me.

I was lead to this site whilst looking to see if Lymm Hall was open to public viewing. But on seeing this subject could not resist joining in this discussion.

Firstly does anyone know if this program will be repeated in particular the one shown on the 13th May.

The reason I ask is, it was by chance that I turned the tv onto ITV at about 6.20 and was astonished to see that Birkenhead Priory was being covered.

A place that until recently, I was completely unaware of, until I started on my venture of researching my ancestors. I understand that Sir Hugh de Domville (Knight) in 1160 3rd Lord of Oxton had a family vault built at the Priory and this was used for a few hundred years. I understand that Sir Roger de Domville of Brimstage, Oxton and Thingwall was also placed in the family vault. There was no mention of the Domville's or Domvile's in the part of the program that I watched and would be most interested if at any stage of the program this name was mentioned. And if there is anything relating to my ancestors still on this site.

Must admit it seemed rather spooky that I was only talking of Birkenhead Priory in relation to my ancestors on the afternoon of the 13th.

I did catch the name Massey the 4th Lord of Lymm John Domville married a Joan Massey (father Hamon Massey) from Rixton Hall. In the 1400?s. Can anyone confirm if this would be a relative of the Massey mentioned in the program.

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Jean and good first post.

These programmes are all shown again on the history channels e.t.c on satellite, I think you can also obtain copies of them from the producers.

I am sure "Lost Treasures" will let you know the full details.

I know a Raymond Massey at Lymm who may be able to throw some light on the Masseys.

The Masseys were a very important post domesday family in Cheshire. Hamon de Mascy was probably the most notable, the Masseys of Dunham bought up the lands of what is now Tatton Park in the late 13th century (Richard Massey at the time) when it was given status as a Royal deer park in 1292, subsequently then passing into the hands of the Stanleys and then the Egertons. ALL the noble names of the period in question were linked one way or another as they 'inter married' for land and money reasons. The Botelers of Warrington were married into the Massey family of Tatton in the mid 15th century (Geoffrey Massey) and on and on and on .........................

Jean, thank you for your question. As Gary has said, the History Channel will be repeating the show soon but we don't know when yet. Meanwhile you can visit our website at www.lost-treasures.co.uk where many of the clips have been posted via You Tube. If you would like that full episode, I have passed on your question to our producer Phil Hirst at info@lost-treasures.co.uk

This week we have a look at how the Romans handled the Celts and Brigantes in a journey which took us up to Hexham, Ribchester, Chester (of course) and Anglesey.

• 2 weeks later...

:o Lost Treasure, well done... Fred Talbot always tells me that 34% is the norm expected on Granada to be classed as a success?? is this info wrong ??

I think that Locks & Quays hit this barrier...whatever the figures keep up the good work. :crazy:

[ 31.05.2007, 23:51: Message edited by: indiana James ]

I am very good at missing TV progs myself if the truth be known. This next one is about the goodly town of Warrington which is where Mark is from of course. 6.05 Sunday Granada.

If you haven't seen it Tony you can get a flavour via some of the clips at www.lost-treasures.co.uk

James, Fred is generalising because the statistics have to be placed into context of a number of variables eg holidays, weather, sudden competition eg breaking news. What I do know is that Granada are delighted with these results. So we hope the series three will go to the network with a bigger budget, a research team and increased production resources.

Basically folks we want full time jobs promoting history (again) and hopefully after three years we'll earn our spurs. Tis a venerable task methinks. Thanks for your comments and support. I will post reminders.

Originally posted by Lost Treasure:

Basically folks we want full time jobs promoting history (again) and hopefully after three years we'll earn our spurs. Tis a venerable task methinks. Thanks for your comments and support. I will post reminders.

It's a VERY hard slog to make full-time work out of it, the love of it and perseverance pays off though :wink: I was at one time balancing it with working part-time as an education guide :roll:

:roll: Thanks TMM, Find it strange though that all the talk and evidence about the Romans being present in Lymm by Mark never makes any mention of the wealth of Roman artefacts recovered in nearby Warburton ??

All finds from that village have been confirmed as genuine by the British Museum so why no reference.... :angel:

Maybe more lost treasure than can be handled...

[ 03.06.2007, 19:01: Message edited by: indiana James ]