Lost Treasures 2

Keithy T

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great program tonight.

Where's Warburton? :roll: :confused:

The building where he showed where the falcons were kept used to belong to my ex-brother-in-law and that plastered wall is really good.

Mary,

Do you remember when I took you to see the ferry crossing on the Manchester Ship Canal? Well, they showed that as well.

Wasn't the City of Thelwall mentioned in the Doomsday Book?

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

The Victorian reference was viable. Mark was saying that after animal fighting became illegal, it is likely that private events took place long afterwards. This sadly is still the case.

Sometimes you just can't win and that's the downside of TV archaeology. We had been criticised for packing too much in. It's not case of ignoring Warburton but more about looking at heritage which hadn't previously received too much coverage (which Warburton has).

We decided to do more of an in depth analysis of two towns, Lymm and Thelwall. I am sure if we did a survey of the work of other landscape historians and archaeologists in what is now known as the Greater Manchester area we'd have enough material for twenty towns. We chose the two.

The point about Lost Treasures is that any of us could be digging over our gardens and discover Romano Celtic stone heads. It's not really about heralding the work of archaeologists and curators. Other programmes do that. Although we do often welcome their analysis as in Episodes 1 and 4 where the respective curators of The Viking Museum in Oslo and the Roman Museum in Ribchester were pivotal to our understanding of what had been discovered.

This project is more about involving the local community and enthusing others eg schools, community groups, gardeners, builders, amateur historians and yes detectorists to keep a look out and share their discoveries and research with the rest of us.

Hmm, I wonder was that because of William's Harrying Of The North in 1069-70? That said, most of that was in the Pennines and Yorkshire, was it not?

It's funny how people get eras a little mixed up. Lately a lot of people refer to years like 1912 and 1913 as being "Edwardian", when his son George V had been king in old Eddy's place since 1910. Therefore 1911-14 cannot be called Edwardian.

[ 04.06.2007, 21:57: Message edited by: Goonerman ]

Goonerman - the reference to 'wasteland' which quite often appears for places in the Domesday book is sometimes difficult to pinpoint ....... many theories exist as to what was meant by it. Anything from the fact that the land - or area - was barren and not used for growing, or that it may just have been remote and inhospitable for Norman standards. The harrying of the North 'delved' into this area slightly although as you say the brunt of it was across the Pennines.

Hi James hey it's fine. I think Lost Treasures is such a wide brief that sometimes you run the risk of not doing enough or doing too much in the 27 minute slot available. I think you understand where we are coming from with our approach.

By the way, there's a break this week. Some race on is it? The week after next it's Leek and North Wales and then the final one is Liverpool which is really a "greatest hits" of lost treasures as we approach the Capital of Culture thing. Footage of a lost ticket from the Titanic, the Williamson and Stephenson Tunnels and Liverpool Castle are in the can.

It doesn't seem likely that the Harrying of the North had anything to do with it, TMM. As for the raids on the north of England made by the Irish Kings during that period to help Harold's sons and the English people remove the Norman terror, that was mainly the coastal regions.

Thanks for the welcome but tell Gary I still want that Blue Peter Badge to give to my PA Sharon who is responsible for dragging me into cyberspace - a woman who usually gets what she wants !!!

Although I may occationally drift into 'Lost Treasures' territory, you will still have to rely on forum member Lost Treasure for TV info as that's what he's there for - and damn good at his job he is too. I won't be on here that often anyway as I'm too busy 'doing it' in the 'real world' !

I've been involved in plans for Stockton Heath School for about 2 years now as I'm an ex-pupil, my parents live in the surrounding area, and I planted an oak tree on the site when I was 6 and it's still there - strange I know but that's part of MY history. Personal history matters.

My full comments were sent by letter to the Action Group long ago and my knowledge of this archaeological project is such that I feel I can not share it here. Suffice to say that, in a democracy, 5200 objectors supported by national historic bodies should carry more weight than 400 supporters supported by employees and clients of the planning applicant at an appeal that should never have taken place !

At the end of the day this issue was never about education or 'the children' but money, development, and a hidden future agenda which will only reveal itself years from now when it's too late.

As great as it is to see archaeology, and I would rather see it than not, it is still the best way to remove history which may stand in the way or generate bad publicity if destroyed. Traditional Archaeology is, by nature, destructive. I would also stress that it's not the archaologists fault - responsibility for developer led archaeology rests with the planning department.

Nevertheless, say goodbye to the last remains of Warrington's nationally important 'Wilderspool Roman Settlement' and Happy 100th Birthday to one of the town's most significant Victorian structures - and witness its demolition as a birthday celebration ! It could only happen in Warrington !!!

Go James and Gary - record it before we lose it all for ever. Keep bringing it to the people. Keep up the good work.

Didn't say having me on the forum would be easy :angelwings:

Originally posted by The Man In Black:

Thanks for the welcome but tell Gary I still want that Blue Peter Badge to give to my PA Sharon who is responsible for dragging me into cyberspace - a woman who usually gets what she wants !!!

Although I may occationally drift into 'Lost Treasures' territory, you will still have to rely on forum member Lost Treasure for TV info as that's what he's there for - and damn good at his job he is too. I won't be on here that often anyway as I'm too busy 'doing it' in the 'real world' !

I've been involved in plans for Stockton Heath School for about 2 years now as I'm an ex-pupil, my parents live in the surrounding area, and I planted an oak tree on the site when I was 6 and it's still there - strange I know but that's part of MY history. Personal history matters.

My full comments were sent by letter to the Action Group long ago and my knowledge of this archaeological project is such that I feel I can not share it here. Suffice to say that, in a democracy, 5200 objectors supported by national historic bodies should carry more weight than 400 supporters supported by employees and clients of the planning applicant at an appeal that should never have taken place !

At the end of the day this issue was never about education or 'the children' but money, development, and a hidden future agenda which will only reveal itself years from now when it's too late.

As great as it is to see archaeology, and I would rather see it than not, it is still the best way to remove history which may stand in the way or generate bad publicity if destroyed. Traditional Archaeology is, by nature, destructive. I would also stress that it's not the archaologists fault - responsibility for developer led archaeology rests with the planning department.

Nevertheless, say goodbye to the last remains of Warrington's nationally important 'Wilderspool Roman Settlement' and Happy 100th Birthday to one of the town's most significant Victorian structures - and witness its demolition as a birthday celebration ! It could only happen in Warrington !!!

Go James and Gary - record it before we lose it all for ever. Keep bringing it to the people. Keep up the good work.

Didn't say having me on the forum would be easy :wink:

Mark - now I have won the battle to get you on here - don't you dare disappear into a big black hole.

I expect both you and Lost treasures to keep us people informed of any developments of inetrest releating to Warrington.