RAF Padgate.

Agamemnon1

Thing I remember and I guess Bill and John321 may as well remember was "The Valley" (later became Lockers Club) which was between the two railway lines (and presumable owned by BR or the farm that was on Padgate Lane and terminated just before "The Iron bridge"

There were a couple of ponds and cant remember how we got into the area built we made rafts to sail on there (again in 50's) and do a bit of fishing.

Back to the subject RAF Padgate has a web site so if the original poster put in a search engine sure you would come up with quite a bit of info

• 2 weeks later...

My dad (and Mr Dickenson across the road) kept that rickety old bridge in repair for years. Every time we had heavy rain the brook would rise, the bridge would sag, bits of it would float off and the folk in the bungalows in Blackbrook had no alternative but to walk for an hour across White Bridge through the camp to Poplars Avenue to get to a bus stop into town. Alternatively two hours via Fearnhead/Padgate. I suppose today the both of them would be liable for their consideration.

Not a problem for me though, I could jump the brook at any given point.

• 3 years later...
I lived on the old Padgate park as a child during the 50s, (Padgate recreational ground) as it was called then, we lived in an old railway cottage addressed as- (railway view), no 1, then moving to no 3 few years later, at the time there were kids swings we used to play on, & a large field in front of us, (great fun for flying our home made kites in summer. I remember the RAF camp very well, being woken up on a Sunday morning to the sound of radio controlled model aircraft buzzing around in the skies, pete "B" & his dad were enthusiast's, & the crowds used to gather to watch their display, crashes & all! We used to go onto the camp regularly as kids, riding old mopeds up & down what became known as the mad mile, a straight stretch of road which linked Padgate to Orford without turning, it was a great place to explore too, but never dared to go into those dark, water logged air raid shelters. As kids, we all attended Padgate primary, & yes i remember especially Mrs Walker, Mr Hunt , Mr Vavasaw & the rest, the old police stn on station road etc, powells nurseries- fearnhead lane, all in all, great memories

Hi May I as if you new a girl named  Sandra. she also lived in one on the cottages.. I too went to Padgate Primary School I lived on Station Road opposite the camp gates .In my later years (16) I joined a group(Band) and played in the Hall Friday evenings. The guy that ran the Dance was called Mr Carmen ?(maybe) .He had a young daughter that went as well .HAPPY DAYS

PadgateRAFRCplanes_zps3e942eb0.jpg

Welcome to the forum Tony and that's a great photo :D

Sadly this is a really old topic hence the fact that the posts read backwards in date and time stamp prior to yours which I know is very frustrating but it stems from when we moved over to a newer forum platform.

Member John321 hast actually been online on here  since 4 October 2010 so you may not get a reply from him but maybe he does still look in without logging on from time to time so you never know :D

I hope someone else sees your photo and it brings back some memories to them or perhaps you should upload it in a fresh new topic too :wink:

Thank you for your reply .If thats ok I will start a new thread .There is one guy on the photo I would like to mention Bert Skeels .sadly I believe he past away a few years ago .Only if you would like .if you give me your name I can add it to your avatar ,so instead of it saying "Dizzy" It will jay "your name " or" Dizzy  your name" or what ever you want it to say .OR just leave it as it is ...lol.☺☺☺☺

You don't have to ask if it's ok to start a new thread Tony as you are a forum member so you can start new topics or  comment on existing ones.

As for the bit about me giving you my name so you can add it to my avatar instead of it saying 'Dizzy' or whatever I want it to say you've got me completely lost now... what do you mean ? :oops:

As a 12 year old I spent many Hours on Padgate R.A.F.Camp ,trying to fly model balsa wood & tissue paper airplanes.this was 1955

I am pleased to say I met some really nice Guys' Auther Bellis comes to mind he flew Super 60's and I beleave he was credited with the invention of the first moving car ride that you see at the sea-side.it used to be a two penny piece in the slot to make it work,now it will be £1 coin (I'll Bet) Also the secutary of the Padgate  R/C model Club Burt Skeels.

Below is a Photograph of us back in those days of NO coloured Films.

PadgateRAFRCplanes2_zps8128e45e.jpg

Tony, didn't the aero club meet in a dingy upstairs room in Church Street ? I remember Arthur Bellis & Bert Skeels ,i think Bert used to drive a little sports car at times. A friend of mine used to be a member there & i tagged along a couple of times with a view to joining myself. I even went to Winter Hill a couple of times with the group for glider flying in the mid sixties.

Tony, didn't the aero club meet in a dingy upstairs room in Church Street ? I remember Arthur Bellis & Bert Skeels ,i think Bert used to drive a little sports car at times. A friend of mine used to be a member there & i tagged along a couple of times with a view to joining myself. I even went to Winter Hill a couple of times with the group for glider flying in the mid sixties.

Hi Davy.I dont rember  the club house in church St. The only club house I went to was in Station Rd. Padgate It was a Large Green wooden shed,I think it belonged to the Sea Cadets it was between Padgate Primary School and the Farm. OMG. i'm going back 50 years now.

You don't have to ask if it's ok to start a new thread Tony as you are a forum member so you can start new topics or  comment on existing ones.

As for the bit about me giving you my name so you can add it to my avatar instead of it saying 'Dizzy' or whatever I want it to say you've got me completely lost now... what do you mean ? :oops:

IF and I say IF your name was Bill then--bill4_zps1e098e83.gif

This is how I remember it

2i909w7.jpg

The late father in law, an electrician in the RAF ,once told of the time he did his rifle training at padgate camp.

it consisted of firing five rounds rapid fire, followed by five rounds at your own pace, then repeated wearing a gas mask. He said that with the gas mask he was lucky to hit the ground with a shot as as soon as they were put on they steamed up.

It was the only rifle training he got and this was the only time he fired a gun for the whole of the war and the only time he ever wore the gas mask (or for that matter carried one in the box provided. he used to use it to smuggle eggs back to his mum or to his fiance.)

• 6 years later...

Hello, I am looking for a copy or a scan of a panoramic photo for my Father taken when he was doing National Service from 6th September 1950 For 8 weeks at RAF Padgate. The photo was taken in front of a Lancaster. The photo was sadly stolen. My Fathers name is Frank Benson. Does anyone know if this photo is likely to be available anywhere? Many thanks. 

• 2 years later...

Hi, I’m just looking into my old great grandfather, Edward James Wood who was based Padgate can anyone tell me anything about him, i.e. what section M.T. Section R.A.F Padgate Warrington is and A.C.2.4000065 R.A.F Regular, we only know he went to Canada after training but everything is very minimum. He was 21 in 1947