RAF Padgate.

Agamemnon1

We are a group of local residents who are researching RAF Padgate.

Is there anyone out there who can supply us with information regarding RAF Padgate? We are particuarly interested in how the camp was set out and its boundaries. It is difficult to obtain any kind of map or ground plan of the camp.

Is there anyone out there with a good memory who can sketch a plan ? we would be most gratefull. Any information , stories, photos relating to RAF Padgate will be most welcome.

Thank You.

I'm surprised you can't locate an original map at the library. I could draw a boundary map, getting it up on the computer would be the challenge. The camp was split into two sections, one on the Padgate side and the other on the Orford side. The map would be rather large, I'll work on it, maybe someone else will come up with one in the meantime.

As Dem says Warrington Library reserach/archives room should have more details than your local library. Failing that Chester Archives may have what you are looking for and more info.

Not sure myself where it was but I am told it became a large housing estate and high school ? My source has now fallen asleep so I'll ask again tomorow :roll:

Good luck and happy searching.

Thank You one and all for your information .

The only photo we can locate of the whole of RAF Padgate was taken during the war by a German aircraft.

We have a boundary map of both Padgate and Houghton Green camp and its interesting to see what now stands on the old camp grounds.

At that time all information such as maps and photos was strictly controled. So maps and photos are as rare as hens teeth.

Although there does not seem to have been much control over photos of groups of airmen on the camp.

We assume that the prohibition on maps and photos continued after the end of the war due to the begining of the cold war etc

This is the boundary as I remember it before the new roads and the old road extensions, although the Padgate side was equal in size to the Orford side if not larger. I can only remember that one road for sure on the Orford side too, (there was quite a few of them) About a dozen air raid shelters in each camp also, maybe Bill can pinpoint those, apparently he went fishing for tiddlers and tadpoles down inside them.

Maybe you can post the maps you have found.

Thank you Deme

I shall compare that to the sketches we already have

Does anyone remember the Spitfire that guarded the main gates in Station Rd.

It is a Spitfire AR614 Mk Vc

I say " it is " because it is still in the UK and in excellent flying condition

After seeing plenty of action during the war it was sold to the Air Museum in Calgary , Canada in 1963. It has since been returned to England

See www.hawker-restorations-ltd.co.uk/ar614

The Geographia street maps of Warrington published in the 50s and early 60s had plans of the camp, showing all the roads, positions of buildings, etc. I have one of 1962. Not in great detail of course. Like most kids who lived in the area when the camp was abandoned and part demolished we used it as a great adventure playground. Shockingly dangerous, by today's standards.

Byrdy,

Yes , its the same one

That is a missprint

It should read " RAF Padgate and RAF Kirby"

Two seperate camps that shared the aircraft.

I have also found a reference to a Lancaster Bomber that used to stand on the parade ground at Padgate although i cannot find any other info concerning that.

Sorry about the link . Im not the best in the world with a PC ! :D

Thanks Steel

I shall look for those publications.

I to played on the deserted camp as a kid, Your right it was a great adventure playground , Down in the shelters catching frogs or King of the fireing range, Dareing to walk across the dividing wall ! Watching Pete with his drag motorcycles on the long straight road.

Happy days long gone :(

Think you'll discover that RAF Padgate was opened in the Spring of 1941 to provide basic training for airforce recruits. It's team of PTIs included such famous boxers of the time, as Jack London and Benny Lynch. It continued to train National Servicemen after the War, including Bob Monkhouse. :wink:

• 1 year later...

Cannot find a way to post the picture here but have posted it on my own website. Because the picture did not fit into my scanner I had to split into two parts and then paste together, also, it has been rolled in a tube for 60 years so there is some distortion. Not very good quality but will try to get it better. In the meantime if anyone is interested I can send a copy by e-mail of better quality.

To see the picture go to http://www.kolbotn.com

Go to bottom of start page and klick 'photos'. The picture is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks Byrdy for posting the photo. I have much more detailed photo scanned in two halves. All the airmen are clear and can be identified. I remember the spitfire at the station road entrance. My father was corporal at RAF padgate. I lived in Fearnhead. He is not on the photo, but there were a lot of airmen passing through Padgate so there should be a lot more of these photos around. As a child I remember one with him on. Send me your e-mail address for clearer photos. Anyone got photos of Fearnhead? Remember the Golf course (now a housing estate), the'Brick pits'? Padgate school,( Geurty Walker, Mr Vavasaw, Mr. Simms etc??

• 6 months later...

I lived on the old Padgate park as a child during the 50s, (Padgate recreational ground) as it was called then, we lived in an old railway cottage addressed as- (railway view), no 1, then moving to no 3 few years later, at the time there were kids swings we used to play on, & a large field in front of us, (great fun for flying our home made kites in summer. I remember the RAF camp very well, being woken up on a Sunday morning to the sound of radio controlled model aircraft buzzing around in the skies, pete "B" & his dad were enthusiast's, & the crowds used to gather to watch their display, crashes & all! We used to go onto the camp regularly as kids, riding old mopeds up & down what became known as the mad mile, a straight stretch of road which linked Padgate to Orford without turning, it was a great place to explore too, but never dared to go into those dark, water logged air raid shelters. As kids, we all attended Padgate primary, & yes i remember especially Mrs Walker, Mr Hunt , Mr Vavasaw & the rest, the old police stn on station road etc, powells nurseries- fearnhead lane, all in all, great memories!

We used to get to Padgate camp by crossing the brook on a rickety old wooden footbridge at the bottom of Capesthorne Road. These days, bridges like that probably wouldn?t be allowed, in fact thinking about it, the whole area would probably be sealed off as unsafe but back then it was just one big adventure playground.

Bill :)