Bit different now!

byrdy

Love the photo Byrdy :D:D It looks so tranquil, spacious and inviting.

Is that the Mullbery Tree Pub or old 'Hilal' building on the left?

I suspect if may be the latter looking towards Grappenhall Road as I can't see the Red Lion Pub on it.

I can't quite get my bearings as I don't recognise the building on the left sorry.

OOPs.... re my earlier post I meant to say....

Is that the Mullbery Tree Pub or old 'Hilal' building on the RIGHT !!!

Thanks Peter re the police station possibility but how come it's changed shape so much ?

You are probably right though as I'm having a paticularly 'stupid' week when it comes to using my brain. I used to be blond you know :?

Got my bearing now thanks to your reminders and standing in the village today waiting for the bloody lights to finally change....

Took a photo from the same spot for comparison but it came out all ghost like and now refuses to open again ... weird :shock:

Fiona's place is the one with the turret by the way :wink:

Grappenhallpostcard25dizzycopy.jpg

A picture of 'Old Hilal / Victoria ' Building built around 1904 (shown on the right in the photo from Byrdie)

StocktonHeathHilalBuildingbuiltc190.jpg

compared with a photo I took of the new version last year. Nice to see that some developers do still have the skills and ability to replicate the character of original buildings and also to retain some of the actual original features when they want to 8)... after some intervention from the locals apparently :wink: Hard to believe it was nearly all rebuilt eh ?

DSCF3488.jpg

Anyone know what the building was actually called though as although I call it the 'Hilal Building' that wouldn't have been its name.... also any other history known.

All I know is it was also used as a hotel for a time (maybe in the 70's ?).

I wonder why the building was never actually protected by English Heritage as the Police Station, Mull Pub and Red Lion all became Grade II listed and the 'Hilal' building seems to be of the same era and style.

Anyone know what the building was actually called though as although I call it the 'Hilal Building' that wouldn't have been its name...

I'm sure it was always called the *Hilal*,remember seeing an old map(19th.century) of Stockton Heath with that name.(i used to think it was named after the Indian that was there!)

Didn't there used to be underground toilets where that lad is standing in the sepia photo?

Yes,& they are still there underneath the surface.Might be worth opening them up again now that the other ones on the car park are closed due to........oh well we all know why! :x

Anyone know what the building was actually called though as although I call it the 'Hilal Building' that wouldn't have been its name...

I'm sure it was always called the *Hilal*,remember seeing an old map(19th.century) of Stockton Heath with that name.(i used to think it was named after the Indian that was there!)

Thanks Byrdy. I was told today that it used to be called 'Halls Cafe' (or something like that). So if that's true perhaps we should all be calling it the 'Cafe Building' now which is about right :D

I wonder what the natives thought of the design? Probably thought it a monstrosity.

Maybe Peter :lol::lol:

However, at the time of it's build in the turn of the 1900's the standards and designs of buildings were very high and and often followed the tried, tested and expected victorian/edwardian architecture designs that were expected. Buildings were something that both the architects were proud to produce and builders proud to build with such skill that is sadly lacking these days and each wanted to better their predecessors. Without doubt such buildings were not cheap to build in their time but pride rather than developers greed and profit may have come first in those days :wink:

Similar design strategies, skills and attention to details can be seen in many of the older buildings in the village such as the Police Station, Mullberry Tree Pub, Stockton Heath Primary School etc etc and also elsewhere within Warrington such as Bridge Street (look up past the borded up facades !! ) and of course across the country as a whole.

Nothing like the cheap alternatives we see built today with speed and lack of imagination and of course very limited but accepted life spans. In those days people were proud of their buildings and they were built to last as was expected and they certainly have done.

Didn't there used to be underground toilets where that lad is standing in the sepia photo?

The 'Victorian' underground toilets were just out of shot on the photo. They were directly in front of the Mullberry Tree Pub and to the left of the Police Station (now the village square where the xmas tree goes).

I've got a photo of them somewhere but cant find it :roll:

Yes,& they are still there underneath the surface.Might be worth opening them up again now that the other ones on the car park are closed due to........oh well we all know why! :x

:D:D

I thought the old ones were actually filled in :shock:

So why dd the car park toilets really close then :shock: Is it that the current Council are frantically budgeting and cutting costs in any way they can :wink:

• 3 weeks later...