Will you be changing your car?

observer

won't be changing mine soon unless it packs up.

505 cc twin cylinder belt drive automatic. about 200 miles on a tank of petrol (16 litres). aluminium frame and abs plastic body. only drawback is 120 per year road tax as it is classed as a plg (private light goods)

smart car is similar and only has a road tax of about 75 per year. :cry:

wish i still had the motor bike now. will have to have a look round and see if i can persuade the better three quarters to let me get one again. :twisted:

When I finished work last November I gave the Jag back. It was a great motor but I don't know if I'll be getting another car because as Obs points out they cost a packet with all the extras (insurance, petrol, road tax, speeding fines, parking fees, repairs etc) as well as polluting the atmosphere.

The bottom line is I don't really need one at the moment so why bother.

If the government decided to heavily tax a bag of chips while offering free broccoli, I?d still eat the chips. In a similar vein, the government can impose more taxes on cars but they can?t stop me from liking them so I guess I just have to pay more and maybe use it less.

I did a bit of a long run on Tuesday. Filled the tank, reset the trip computer and set off.

The round trip worked out at 462 miles, mainly motorway but overall, I averaged 34.3mpg on the round trip which isn?t at all bad for a none diesel car.

Bill :)

I haven't got a clue as I've still not managed to figure out if we will be affected or not :evil:

Last time they changed the vehicle taxing rates we weren't affected as both our cars are pre 2001. This time who knows :roll:

I don't see WHY we should be forced into changing our older reliable (but larger than normal) car and my baby 4x4 and loose money... then have to fork out a lot more for cars we don't really want and have to sell our family caravn cos we have nothing to tow it with.

The can SOD OFF and I'll certainly stick it out as long as I possible can :evil:

Dis,

I was looking at a 2000 plate X5 4.4 litre with a gas conversion. It claimed an equivilant of 34 to the gallon round town. But either way it would be cheaper to run than most cars plus it is still outside the 2001 tax cut off. I have my Gas Cosworth to drive round in and have just bought another one which is exactly the same car but without the gas (so about 18 - 19 mpg round town) for a mere ?250.00

That one is at my mums and is a spare car if anything happens to mine. It has 45,000 miles less than mine and is MOT'd till October. Couldn't resist it!

Well my car isn't going anywhere for a while yet.... :wink:

I'll hang on in the 'hope' of a new government who really cares about us all but I guess even if we do get one their pre-election promises may turn out to never materialise and they will be just as bad :evil:

My biggest worry at the moment though is not my car or petrol prices but the 35% immediate increase in gas prices that British Gas announced yesterday. Daylight robbery !!!!!!!

WHY don't the government intervene (as if I dodn't know) as we are all being crippled left right and bloody centre by everyone :evil:

It wouldn?t be quite so bad if some of the green car manufactures made the cars look normal instead of the type of car only Noddy drives.

My eldest Son and I were discussing that very point the other evening.

It is not easy to find a list of manufacturers who offer a bi fuel car as part of their range, although I guess you have to weigh up the cost against the savings to be made, bit like choosing between a diesel and petrol when a manufacturer charges maybe ?1000 or more for the diesel version. Funnily enough I am thinking of changing my car in November...but I'll see as I'm very pleased with the current one, although Mrs K wants a smaller car that she can drive as well....had thought of an Audi A3, but the local dealer doesn't seem to be bothered. :(

There used to be manufaturer options available for LPG systems. Vauxhall did LPG options on Astra and Vectra models, Volvo did the S80 as a dual fuel and I believe that Ford used to offer a petrol Transit version with factory LPG fitted.

Not sure if anyone offers them anymore as a factory option so maybe the big oil companies have flexed their muscles and warned them off making them!!

It wouldn?t be quite so bad if some of the green car manufactures made the cars look normal instead of the type of car only Noddy drives.

:D:wink: Very true Bill and seems like you have to be the size of Noddy to fit in them and defiantely have no family or pets.

Perhaps thats the plan... :shock: if they are successfull in raising the cost of living so much that people can't afford to have families then at least all the new flats and appartments going up everywhere will sell :wink:

With communal wheelie bins for the 'appartments' the spaces that would have been needed for your 'own' bins will be perfect size for parking your noddy car.

I think I'm starting to go mad.... but I do love Noddy :oops:

[........ Mrs K wants a smaller car that she can drive as well....had thought of an Audi A3, but the local dealer doesn't seem to be bothered. :(

Why won't you let Mrs K dive your bigger car do you not trust her :shock::wink:

As for dealers.... Do your homework on the type of car you want yourself first as it's worth remembering that the majority of dealers and sales people are actually only interested in their commission based on their sales figures and models sold. More commission is sometimes made on specific cars especially the ones they can't shift :wink:

Guess I've just lost a lot of friends now :shock:

epg why not get a smart car. soft top choice of colours and cheap on both fuel and car tax. saw one today belonging to the fire brigade looked strange to see such a small car with all the markings on it.

tmm just been looking at a new ajs regal raptor dd250e-9b. water cooled five speed cruiser just about what i am looking for and can afford at moment all providing that better three quarters would let me get one. will have yo work on that one. :evil::shock:8) think they go for about ?2900 with insurance at around ?100 per

As long as someone puts petrol in a pumps the tyres and it is silver thats good enough for me.

:shock: Do you have Petrol Fairies where you live EPG... if the'd be willing to put petrol in mine too and pump my tyres up etc I'd be eternally greatful to them :D