recent british history quiz

Evil Sid

1. The incident in the bogside area of Belfast on 30th January 1972, in which 13 civilians were killed, came to be known as what?

2. In which year was the Iranian Embassy in London stormed by the SAS after it was seized by Iranian dissidents?

3. In 1985 who was tried and acquitted of passing secret information about the sinking of the Argentine warship Belgrano, to a labour party MP?

4. Which political party was formed by David Owen, Roy Jenkins, William Rodgers and Shirley Williams?

5. In response to the common market, which had been established two years earlier, which seven country trading area did Britain set up in 1960?

6. Which European leader thwarted Britain?s efforts to join the common market in 1961 and 1967?

7. Which event of October ? November 1956 saw Britain humbled by the US and resulted in great friction with France?

8. Who was the leader of Rhodesia who declared independence from Britain in 1965?

9. What route did the anti-nuclear weapons ?ban the bomb? marches take during the early 1960?s?

10. Which novel, available outside Britain from 1928, first saw British bookshops shelves in 1960, having been banned because of its ?explicit sexual content??

11. What was Goldie which escaped from Regent?s park zoo in 1965 and evaded capture for nearly two weeks?

12. Which goods became fully available again on 5th of February 1953, having been rationed since 1940?

13. Which politician stated in 1988 that most of Britain?s egg production was infected by salmonella, causing massive problems for the farming industry?

14. Which royal couple split up on 19th march 1992?

15. In 1983, which government minister was forced to resign after his extra marital affair with his former secretary?

16. In which year did Britain first utilise its North Sea oil, after a pipeline opening ceremony in Aberdeen?

The problem with these quizes are that so many people just google so I'll give you my best honest guesses

1. The incident in the bogside area of Belfast on 30th January 1972, in which 13 civilians were killed, came to be known as what?

Bloody Sunday (I wouldnt know this if it were not for U2)

2. In which year was the Iranian Embassy in London stormed by the SAS after it was seized by Iranian dissidents?

hmm I remember it was it about 1980

3. In 1985 who was tried and acquitted of passing secret information about the sinking of the Argentine warship Belgrano, to a labour party MP?

not got a scooby?

4. Which political party was formed by David Owen, Roy Jenkins, William Rodgers and Shirley Williams?

SDLP ?

5. In response to the common market, which had been established two years earlier, which seven country trading area did Britain set up in 1960?

nope...wasnt even spermazoa at this point

6. Which European leader thwarted Britain?s efforts to join the common market in 1961 and 1967?

DeGaul? random gues of some euro

7. Which event of October ? November 1956 saw Britain humbled by the US and resulted in great friction with France?

I wish I hadnt started this !!

8. Who was the leader of Rhodesia who declared independence from Britain in 1965?

my sister would say Enid Blyton...thats her answer to every question of "Who?" that she doesnt know.

9. What route did the anti-nuclear weapons ?ban the bomb? marches take during the early 1960?s?

must be past my house as there used to be a sign saying "nuclear free zone" and I always thought well there we go, thats me safe if the bomb goes off in the next estate.

10. Which novel, available outside Britain from 1928, first saw British bookshops shelves in 1960, having been banned because of its ?explicit sexual content??

Lady Chatterlys lover ?

11. What was Goldie which escaped from Regent?s park zoo in 1965 and evaded capture for nearly two weeks?

a goldfish, I beleive he escaped in a paddling pool and sailed up the thames.

12. Which goods became fully available again on 5th of February 1953, having been rationed since 1940?

Nylons/Bananas ???

13. Which politician stated in 1988 that most of Britain?s egg production was infected by salmonella, causing massive problems for the farming industry?

Curried Eggwinas :)

14. Which royal couple split up on 19th march 1992?

Fergie & Andrew (I dunno the date but hoping its not the obvious c+d)

15. In 1983, which government minister was forced to resign after his extra marital affair with his former secretary?

too busy playing space invaders.. portillo, perfumo...surely to early and not likely to be opposite sex.

16. In which year did Britain first utilise its North Sea oil, after a pipeline opening ceremony in Aberdeen?

dur 1964 ?