Manchester Congestion charge

inky pete

Maybe they've all got really tiny cars.

Coz apparently, everyone who lives within the M60 can drive around wherever they want all day long without causing any congestion at all.

(Thinks: What percentage of GM residents live within the M60? and they're the ones who'll benefit most from the public transport investment, so how many automatic "yes" votes is that?)

I agree with that! The proposed improvements to the public transport network are pretty much all necessary, and long overdue. There's also a desperate need for some road network infrastructure investment to address some of the existing motorway bottlenecks.

My arguement is that the regions motorists have a right to expect these things to be funded without further charging, because they've already paid for them many times over.

i believe that, as the trafford centre is within the proposed charge area, all visitors would have to pay. This would obviously affect Peel in the pocket.

so get rid of the congestion charge and let motorists visit the free parking at trafford centre.

e

I see the Police are investigating the activities of Peel Holdings in relation to the congestion charge. Sounds to me like a case of sour grapes by the bloke who lost his seat in the local elections, but you never know.

Pleasing to note that there is no more serious crime in Manchester. :wink:

This charge doesnt add up financially. The aim is to reduce congestion by 15% but raise ?175m p.a. in doing so to pay the loan off.

Interestignly with the current state of fuel costs, congestion is actually dropping. So at thsi rate by 2013, the 15% will be gone anyway but Manchester tax payers will be committed to paying back the loan as all (i.e. most i.e. 80% - any takers for this beign 50% by 2013!) will have been done.

Apparently add ?250 p.a. to every council tax bill if they dont get enoguh back

It's a pity that Peel Holdings can't implement a system where they refund the congestion charge. This could be simular to the Cherry Tree in Culcheth who refund your parking charge if you eat in their pub. You get the parking fee knocked off your bill when you pay.

Surely the new congestion computer, that takes a note of your registration plate as you cross over the boundary, could recognise your purchase via a smart card when you pay via a Trafford till and deduct the charge.

Hold on there is a conflict here. :shock:

Wouldn't it be better to spend your money in Warrington Town :?:

Perhaps if you were refunded the price of your bus/rail fair to the town centre then maybe things would even themselves out. It would also encourage people to reduce their carbon emmissions into the bargain.

this means you expect Peel to pay the congestion charge just to encourage shoppers?

Better just scrap the idea and fund the transport from the mp slush funds and from the cancellation of the id card system that is bound not to work.

Could even take money by cancelling the olympics now.

i believe that, as the trafford centre is within the proposed charge area, all visitors would have to pay. This would obviously affect Peel in the pocket.

The Trafford Centre is one of the main causes of congestion in the area, so I fail to see why they should be exempt from the congestion charge! :wink:

The congestion charge would have no effect on the traffic around the Trafford Centre, since the charge would only be levied on weekdays, inbound from 07:00 to 09:30 and outbound from 16:30 to 19:00. Most shoppers don't travel within the proposed charging periods.

Trafford Centre staff however, most of whom are already earning fairly low wages, would be hit hard as they don't have a choice about what time they arrive at work.

Trafford Centre staff however, most of whom are already earning fairly low wages, would be hit hard as they don't have a choice about what time they arrive at work.

Not necessarily - depends where the workers there live. Irlam and Worsley - yes. Salford and Stretford - no.

But those coming from outside the M60 are precisely the ones most likely to be driving.

Salford, Stretford and other areas inside the M60 are already well served for bus links to the Trafford Centre - and the public transport options within the outer zone will only get better with all the money being spent there.

It is currently all but impossible to commute by public transport to the Trafford Centre, or indeed any of the Trafford Park employment area, from many places outside the M60 - and there's nothing in the proposals which will make it any easier.