Should we import rubish from other towns?

Bill

Should we import rubish from other towns?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should we import rubish from other towns?

• Yes
    • No

I was amazed to see the results of the councils public consultation (homepage / Waste Watchers) where it appears that the vast majority of those taking part were in favour of importing rubbish into Warrington from other towns. :shock: I'm always suspicious of figures like that especially when it seems to go against what's said on open forums like this.

The last time the council made a claim of 95% being in favour of one of it's proposals, it was exposed as being totally false.

Could it be that the public panel in this instance were invited guests?

Or am I just being paranoid?

Bill

Having met with the Waste Watchers team they are dead against other town's waste being imported into Warrington.

They are also keen to recycle as much of our own waste as possible - if we (Warrington) don't meet government targets for doing this the council will be fined millions of pounds, which will then go on our council tax bills.

If this happens the council tax payers will not be happy and you can guess what the likely outcome would be at the next elections.

Incineration seems to be the "popular" choice for disposing of other waste - although this will not be popular with those who face having an incinerator near their homes.

I can see this becoming a very BIG issue!

Start at the beginning of the waste process - create less of it. :roll: That means the Government penalising their friends in the retail industry for excess packaging. :shock: As for taking others landfill, it can only be because we have a cash strapped Council out to make money out of other Town's waste - a rather pathetic scenario - and clearly a vote loser. :wink:

None of the targets that have been set encourage either reduction of waste or re-use of items, both of which are preferable to recycling.

In fact, by collecting everyone garden waste in the green bins, the TOTAL amount of waste being handled has been artificially increased in order to make the recycling percentages look better.

Gary

So, if you say the councils dead against it and everyone here say?s the same, then who the heck are all these people who are advocating the idea? This is starting to smell exactly like the Paddington speed bump saga did to me. :roll:

I know these aren?t huge numbers and no background details have been given but statistical probability tells me something is most definitely wrong with these numbers. :roll:

Also, look at some of the comments. Do these look like the sort of responses you?d expect from the general public? :roll:

?Gives WBC a stronger hand.? & ?Be leaders not followers.?

I really don?t think so!

Bill :)

I doubt Hong Kong Airport has Pot Noodle containers as it foundations but that?s another story.

Anyway back to the question of just who these people were that voted to import rubbish into our town.

Does anyone know any of these people or does any forum member admit to being on this so-called citizen?s panel? :roll:

Norman Holging

Katherine Webster

Sonia Peters

Beryl Jump

Bill Fuller

Ken Foot

Carol Hays

Clive Gaskell

Colin McDonogh

Norman Harrison

Jean Ball

Joyce Harper

Eion McDonald

John Pike

If there is any kind of conspiracy afoot to turn Warrington into the dumping ground of the northwest we really do need to expose it before it?s taken as fact. Gary, you seem to know the people behind this, so what do they have to say on the matter?

Never heard of any of them. Any idea who the 7 stakeholders were in the other sessions :?:

There is a link to the survey that allows you to take part in the 'consultation' .... IT'S A WASTE OF TIME..... there are no normal questions so guess no-one will fill it in anyway :roll:

We already take waste from neighbouring towns/cities anyway. Just spend half an hour any day of the week at Lane Ends Penketh/Great Sankey counting the number of huge lorries full of garbage from Mersey Waste and Greater Manchester as well as normal bin lorries from Halton all on their way to Arpley Meadows tip. This is on the way to becoming the highest mountain in England. I presume Warrington is being paid to take other people's rubbish? :(:(:(

• 3 weeks later...
Oh look, have these people finally found this thread? because all of a sudden we have three votes to import rubbish. :roll:

They have to be registered members to vote - and to be honest there is a lot of apathy out there as only 14 members have bothered to vote! :cry:

The actual numbers don?t bother me it?s just about the response that I expected but it would have been good to see a bit more input given the importance of such an idea.

I?m just concerned that at some point in the future we?ll end up importing rubbish and it will be said that the necessary consultation was carried out and that the majority people were in favour of the plan.