Unofficial taxi rank, London Road, Stockton Heath.

21GoodLife

Hi, 21GoodLife,

Did you know that there is an application for planning permission for a private hire booking office and waiting area at 100 London rd? It's on this weeks Development Control Agenda 11/3/09. Item 6. It's recommended for refusal and the reasons given from the police, parish council, and various WBC departments may give you some idea of what they regard as valid concerns. Such as; London rd being a Red route, no allocated parking, double yellow lines, noise & disturbance, resident amenities, etc.

One other I could think of adding would be increased pollution, which is already extremely high in Stockton Heath.

I believe congestion & pollution are one of WBC's priorities at the moment. (but I'll believe that one when I see it!)

I should think that as they have expressed these concerns for 100 London rd they should be able to help with the same issues just a few hundred yards away.

Good Luck.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill sound your onto something there but I would advise you keep it to your self until you have patterned it as you say this is the biggest problem in the taxi trade as you well know, and in this day and age its needed . Plus when I come back need to have a chat on the marshalling side I need to bounce some ideas off you. And help on planning a good report

As you all know Stockton Heath as a problem but there is a need for a taxi rank so as any one any good ideas we would like to see them that will cover the following

1) How to move a vast numbers of people from Stockton heath to any destination

2) Where to hold a vast number of people waiting to use a taxi in a safe environment

3) if trouble broke out at a rank how to move the rest in a safe controlled manner.

4) time it would take to clear 300 people with in a small time window at a taxi rank .

5) how to deal with the rights of the taxi traded to apply there trade

Stockton Heath has got a problem!

and the causes?

Yes, this Govt's ridiculous drinking around the clock idea,

- and this town council's licencing dept, for using the assumption that longer opening hours would somehow lead to staggered departure rates and thus continuing to grant ever later opening hours.

Plus the total lack of common sense of the planning committee that permitted these developments in a residential area in the first place!

The solution;

Last orders 11:30pm

A midnight bus to town centre.

Taxi's for those who are travelling elsewhere - who can wait quite comfortably in the premises that have been selling them alcohol all night.

-and for those who will not wait quietly - the Riot Suad.

Additionally , do not grant licences to taxi drivers who will not adhere to a civilised code of conduct.

Easily sorted! :lol:

Where there's a problem there's a solution. If there's no solution there's no problem.

They would have all been waiting for all the revellers arriving from other area's who want to have a 'booze up' in 'trendy' :? Stockton Heath .......... before then heading back into Warrington Town Centre for the late (late) night entertainment.... after which they will hopefully all stagger back to Bank Quay on foot without problem and return to wherever home actually is :?:roll:

Peter

As far back as I can remember, the taxis have always queued up there and given the cop shop?s literally just around the corner, I suspect they might have noticed this as well.

The fact that nobody takes any action though proves that not all cops and wardens are jobsworths. I reckon the double yellows are there to prevent parking, which would create a problem when the taxis need to queue.

Bill :)

No what I?m saying Pete is that double yellows exist for safety but in that area there really isn?t a safety issue provided the public don?t park there thus forcing the cabs to double park. I suppose they could replace the double yellows with something saying queuing taxis only but Joe public and all the arbuts of this world would simply ignore such markings and park there rather than go on the car park.

No what I?m saying Pete is that double yellows exist for safety but in that area there really isn?t a safety issue provided the public don?t park there thus forcing the cabs to double park. I suppose they could replace the double yellows with something saying queuing taxis only but Joe public and all the arbuts of this world would simply ignore such markings and park there rather than go on the car park.

In much the same way as the cabbies appear to ignore the double yellows???

But the point PJ is that if taxis used the car park they can't then see if the ranks empty and that's exactly why they have to queue where they do. The police and wardens have to make allowances for this otherwise we simply loose a public facility.

The same situation occurs across the country and not just here in Warrington.

I don't think the police deal with parking anymore unless it's an obstruction.

I thought that taxis had communication, and therefore those legally queueing could inform others when the ranks needed filling.

It's not as if they just arriving for a train that is due. They're sat there in their slippers reading a paper. :roll:

Keep going Pete, you?ll see my point eventually.

The hackneys work the streets and ranks rather than get work from a base so they don?t have a radio system. Even if they did, the way taxi radios work means they can only talk to a central base and can?t just talk directly to the car next to them. It all a lot different to the old CB radios.

So at present it?s either be able to see the rank or pack up taxi driving and go find another job.

Course you could always volunteer to be their radio controller, and call the cabs in one by one. :lol:

But Bill, why should taxis be allowed to extend their waiting areas just because they are full? I can't stick my car on double yellows just because the car parking spaces are full!

Regardless of whether they are providing a public service, they should not park on double yellow lines.

perhaps in order to provide a more efficient service cabs should be allowed to go at any speed they wish, or ignore traffic lights, park in disabled bays. Would you be so supportive of law breaking Bill if it were BT vans illegally parked whist carrying out their public service? I doubt it very much somehow.

Blimey this is hard work.

Baz if you?d read my earlier post and also recall what I said to you on another thread regarding the same situation at Central Station, the double yellows are there primarily to stop the public parking where taxis need to queue.

In both cases the actual queuing doesn?t create any direct danger but without the double yellows, the public will park and that does then create a dangerous double parking situation.

If the police and wardens were to take a hard line about taxis queuing adjacent to ranks, the service would become completely unworkable and this is exactly why the police and wardens take no action.

At any other location, the taxis would be subject to exactly the same rules that apply to us all.

Bill,

why is it such hard work? Highway code states:

238-252: Waiting and parking

Section 238

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) ? see 'Information signs' and 'Road markings'. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see 'Road markings') when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

Nowhere does it say "Its OK for taxis to hang about but not for normal cars" it says no waiting at any time

It also doesn't state anywhere that "It is OK for Taxis to ignore section 238-252 of the highway code; even if Bill thinks it is a good excuse to do so"

Parking, waiting and stopping on double yellow lines is illegal and against the highway code, regardless of whether it is a taxi or not. Now I know you don't want to upset any of your customers, but where have you got this idea that it is OK for them to do so?

Section 247 allows for them to stop and drop off on yellow lines if normal parking is restricted,

Also, section 243 says:

DO NOT stop or park at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

So they are breaking the rules yet again and should be booked for it...... :D