Unofficial taxi rank, London Road, Stockton Heath.

21GoodLife

Hi

About 2 years ago, we were approached by the council about turning the lay-by next to Cavalier Dry Cleaning into a designated taxi rank. We objected, as did most of the surrounding houses and businesses, and we never heard anything of it.

But, over the past 24 months, the official rank of about 3 cars outside the Red Lion has grown and grown. Taxis are now regularly seen backed up to near the swing bridge at Fairfield/Ellesmere Road. It's all ignored by the police and the council, and what they are doing, as far as I am aware is completely illegal.

I'm slightly aggrieved, because my wife and I live in one of the houses opposite the lay-by, and the queues on Friday and Saturday (sometimes Thursday) night stretch past our house. The queues there can sometimes last up until 2am. During this period, there's the starting and stopping of engines, the guys can gang together chatting noisily, and the worse is the beeping of horns. I've been tempted to go out and have a word, but that usually causes more trouble, and probably wouldn't achieve much.

Now, I understand the guys working the taxis do need to earn a living, and I have no problem with that. But, why do the council and police turn a blind eye to it? There certainly needs to be a solution, and I'm all for discussing the options, but the ignorance really gets to me.

Is there anyone in particular I should raise this with?

Tim

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought it was an issue for WBC and the police like you say.

You could try Stockton Heath Parish Council. I'm sure someone brought up the problem of taxis outside the Red Lion a while ago so the more people who complain the more likely something will be done about it :wink: .

They have meetings on the second Tues of every month at Sandy Lane Centre (next to the tip) where there first bit on the agenda is for the public to raise any concerns they have....

Next meeting is this coming Tuesday 7.30pm

I under stand your situation as you say it?s a 3 car taxi rank out side the red lion but as you may know is only at weekend. As this is a busy time for the hackney?s taxi who have to make a living to pay the council back in yearly fees. Just to make a living.

I am a driver and I agree with you on this matter but I have to look at we need to make a living. Its all come to the council not doing there job in this town, full stop.

I would like to know if they will take notes of what you have said on this matter. I know the police will act without the council if you contact the police and make your comments known to them. But again it?s only on a weekend that this is needed to get people from one part of the town to the other quickly.

As you would have seen in the part as well if the people are not moved on fast, trouble will happen it?s the lesser of two evils what do you have? ?Trouble with fighting or more taxi to get them away fast??. I hope you will keep me informed with your progress on this matter and if you need my help I am willing to help you but its may not come out the way you hope. But we can only try

But Tara Dad aren't you working outside the rules to make a living by ignoring the 3 taxi limit. If so aren't you always complaining that Pink Ladies aren't complying with the rule in order to make a living. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm totally for you guys earning a living, and is one of the reasons why I've not pursued this through the police or council yet, and wanted to guage what folk thought on here. I'd think it a shame to get the police involved, as it's clear as daylight to all that something needs to be organised.

But as the summer roles around, so does the level of disturbance from the taxis. And, you are right, I'd rather have taxis than drunks causing a disturbance - of which we still get a share of.

I thought the best place for the taxi queue would be by using the carpark behind the forge (somerfield). The only problem is the one way system on East St. It would be perfect for taxis to queue in the car park, and move around to the Lion that way.

Last thing I want is there to be a ban. But it wouldn't suprise me if the police did take action sometime, as it could be considered dangerous.

However, if taxi drivers continue to not respect the fact that there are 5 houses 10m away from them and beep their horns, I'm going to have to kick up a stink. I'm sure it's not the majority, but as with most things, it only takes a couple to spoil it for the rest.

The irony of the whole affair, is that as they are listed buildings, we are not allowed double glazing. Only secondary glazing which isn't as effective, and a pain in summer.

But Tara Dad aren't you working outside the rules to make a living by ignoring the 3 taxi limit. If so aren't you always complaining that Pink Ladies aren't complying with the rule in order to make a living. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

Excellent point PJ. But most people alas do try to have it both ways. :wink:

Think you mean West Avenue :wink: That's the one way road from the Somerfield car park to the Red Lion.

Surely though you are more than 10m away from that area as the Listed Cottages are nearer the Church.

Sorry, yes I meant West Avenue.

The taxis aren't able to park more than 5-6 outside the Lion due to physical space. So the rest start to park up near the bus stop heading south, and do a u-turn when there is space on the other side of the road.

The queue of taxis facing south backup all the way through the village, usually past opposite my house, and further. As the queue starts moving, the cars behind near my house start beeping their horns to get stragglers in the queue moving along. This can range to a few bursts every 30 mins, to quite frequent.

I don't mind a bit of noise, we chose to live on a main road in the middle of the village and knew to accept what that comes with. But a 200m queue of 30+ taxis, starting, stopping, beeping 10m from our house is not what we envisaged, as you could imagine.

That sounds awful :shock: ....... a 200m queue of 30+ taxis :shock::shock:

Perhaps you should video the goings on and take photos, registration numbers etc over a couple of weeks and send in a complaint plus your evidence.

If they are breaking the law or working outside of the limits set then surely someone will have to do something about it :?

Guess this is what happens when a small Village becomes the 'in' place to be at weekends. They wll be calling it a Stockotn Heath Town next.. wonder when we'll get a nightclub :wink::evil:

Hi

I'd rather not take affirmative action such as that yet. It'll just cause more trouble, and I don't think it's the drivers' fault that either the law hasn't been layed down, or something else organised.

I'm going to attent the parish council meeting on Tuesday and raise the issue. But I'm not calling for blood, just to hopefully get the wheels in motion to consider a solution.

Just a message/warning to the drivers to have their music and engines turned off, and no beeping would be a great start.

I can't see what else could be organised though?

Other than Somerfield car park there is no-where else in the village where so many taxis could park and wait. Why do they have to wait anyway as aren't they all pre booked?

Whilst it would obviously move the problem from your doorstep surely it would possibly only be moving the same problem onto someone elses in the process though.

Hope you get it sorted anyway and that a solution is found that everyone is happy with. You never know it may be pink :wink:

Hi

Just a message/warning to the drivers to have their music and engines turned off, and no beeping would be a great start.

ill pass your concerns on to the WTDA .

beeping horns is a no no.As far as i know we have permision to park on the bus stop after the last bus and further down as long as we stay off the crossing, but i do understand the noise that could come from the cabs could be a pain. wbc should of thought of the taxi issue when it started to give out extra drinking lic's to the new pubs and wine bars etc. but we get forgot about again. people want the night time growth (money coming into the village) but that does come at a price. i will have a word to get them to keep the noise down

That's very kind of you.

Agree about the council, should have seen it coming. But in all fairness, I don't think anyone ever envisaged how busy it would be.

Just as long as no-one buries their heads and ignores it, which they (wbc) have done so far.

Cheers for that.

Tim

Just to try and shed some light on this.

First, taxi ranks are designated spaces where Hackney cabs are allowed to wait (rather like a bus stop) and the council determines the numbers allowed.

The problem occurs when a busy location has limited spaces as the other drivers have to park near enough to be able to see when there?s a space available. The situation isn?t helped by the fact that Hackneys have no communication between their cars and so have to be near enough to see what?s happening.

The drivers don?t actually have to park up and wait to go onto the rank and could in theory just cruise round waiting for people to flag them down, but an ordered system where drivers wait their turn is always better than a chaotic regime. In any case, the drivers are not breaking any laws provided they park legally and act responsibly but unfortunately some noise from the stopping and starting is unavoidable.

As for TD Steve, well he?s not breaking any rules because as a private hire driver he can stop there to pick up a pre arranged fare but must move on once done.

Bill :)

I was always under the impression that double-yellow lines meant no parking at all at any times - hence against the law. But I could be wrong.

Theoretically, they should be able to park in the lay by opposite my house, as it has no restrictions after 6pm. But, most are usually taken any how, so they double park on the road. I would assume double parking is also not within the confines of the law.

Tim

Sorry Tim didn't spot the comment about double yellow lines and your dead right that nobody should park on them. Get onto the council and or the police in that case although some might argue their not parked but simply stopped while waiting to move on.

Hope you get some kind of result soon.

Bill :)

• 1 month later...

Excellent point PJ. But most people alas do try to have it both ways. :wink:

I am sorry to say no I do not use this rank as it?s a hackney rank I am PH so sorry to let it out the bag but yes you are right it is a three car rank and only three should use it at any time. but you can rank up away from the rank as many car a want its only on the rank its self you can not have more that three car. And as this will not be a public safety issues but I agree that this should be addressed so I am not breaking any rule or law Paul and call

and as for PJ Callands says But Tara Dad aren't you working outside the rules to make a living by ignoring the 3 taxi limit. If so aren't you always complaining that Pink Ladies aren't complying with the rule in order to make a living. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

if you read the above i have said to inform the police its the only way forward but sorry to say i am not braking any laws sorry to let you down unlike the pink ladys as you rightly say are

Hi

beeping horns is a no no.As far as i know we have permision to park on the bus stop after the last bus and further down as long as we stay off the crossing, but i do understand the noise that could come from the cabs could be a pain. wbc should of thought of the taxi issue when it started to give out extra drinking lic's to the new pubs and wine bars etc. but we get forgot about again. people want the night time growth (money coming into the village) but that does come at a price. i will have a word to get them to keep the noise down

This as to be seen you could super glue the WTDA and they would not stick together. They do not want to now about anything that is a public safety issues but when they want the public to back them they cry out but this time over Bridge St the public did not want to know and its lost all faith and so as a lot of the drivers with the WTDA

Hi

Just to say, I don't know if you did have a word, but it has been much better. Not perfect, but I'm pleased to say that beeping has been down to a few occaisions. When I say a few occaisions, the perp seemed to being going hell for leather, so hopefully that was a few and far between.

Straight up though, thanks for spreading the word a little - it's been a big help.

Tim

On a side note to this, why do the powers that be let soooo many taxis queue up outside Central Station?

I went past today at about 3:30 and there must have been 20 taxis parked up; with only 6 or so on the proper ranks. The rest were all on double yellow lines.

Typical taxi driver though I guess.... rules don't apply and all that!!