What For You Is The Most Important Issue In Warrington?

Jonathan Levy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The presumption in your question is: (a) that there is one single issue that is at the top of everyone's agenda and (B) that the Council has the powers, resources and political will to do anything about it. :wink: Think you may discover that the priorities in the big house are: who's getting the jobs with the most allowances and who's next for Mayor - not exactly what I presume you expect?! :lol::wink:

In no particular order off the top of my head .... here's my concerns :shock:

Traffic congestion / roads

Speeding (yes I know it contradicts my first concern :P )

Underage drinking

Yob culture (all ages)

Vandalism

Mass over devlopment on every spare piece of land in the town/villages

Education

Council tax robbery

Car park charges

Lack of facilities for youngsters

So; any ideas then Jonathan?! :? Any solutions?! :wink:

Well in terms of ridding the town of its booze culture image, I for one am not at all happy with the 24 hour drinking laws and never wanted it but obviously that law is unlikely to change for some time, if ever. I do feel that Warrington perhaps has a few too many clubs and pubs and I feel that more restrictions need to put into place with regards to limits on how much Clubs and Pubs can serve individuals etc. I would also be very intereested to see the amount of police presence in Warrington Town Centre at weekends.

In no particular order off the top of my head .... here's my concerns :shock:

Traffic congestion / roads

Speeding (yes I know it contradicts my first concern :P )

Underage drinking

Yob culture (all ages)

Vandalism

Mass over devlopment on every spare piece of land in the town/villages

Education

Council tax robbery

Car park charges

Lack of facilities for youngsters

And when you have sorted those, we will have another list ready. :P:wink::lol:

Errm, some directly contradictory aspirations there Diz! :? "Council Tax Robbery": reductions in Council Tax, without additional Government grant (again paid by tax payers), rules out any spending plans I'm afraid, so you can forget youth clubs etc. :wink:

Should have known you'd pull me up obs... thats why I put the bit in brackets just for you :P

Are you happy with the amount of council tax you pay and do you feel you are getting value for your money :shock::wink:

Sooooo..... reduction in council tax rules out youth clubs/provision eh?

They could always use some of the money from all the 106 agreements :wink: and of course money raised from selling off owned land for other developments :wink::P

Errm, Diz, suggest you look at their books (budget); simple, you can't spend more than the revenue you receive - low tax = low spend. :wink:

I know that :P

So are you happy with the amount of council tax you pay then, you didn't answer :D

And can a little of the money from 106's (which is a completely seperate pot of money :wink: ) be used towards youth provision, you didn't answer that one either :D:P

Answers Diz? :? Well, like most folk I don't relish paying tax; especially when it's levied disproportionately on those least able to pay and then wasted on self serving politicians, on policies derived from dogma rather than common sense appraisal, and of course on wars that have no meaning or pragmatic benefit for the people of this Country. :roll: However, in order to make services accessible to all, and indeed to improve them, I accept my part in paying the price, providing such payments are proportionate to one's ability to pay - thus one wouldn't expect the poorest to get an increase in taxation from 10% to 20%, while the super-rich exploit loop holes to reduce their contributions to around 10%. :shock: As for 106 agreements; they could have been used much more imaginatively in the past, but alas our planning officers have been easily bought and sold many a birthright for a mess of pottage! :shock::wink:

Don't be put off by some of this lot Jonathan - they knock everything to do with the council - and probably would whoever was running it! You have chosen to try to improve and challenge from within, which is great. Top of my list would be providing universal support for all parents, and targeted support for some. The problems with teenage drinking etc aren't caused by young people, they have their roots in parenting styles.

After that I would like a rail link to connect Bankquay and Central, cheaper bus fares and more free, supervised, indoor and outdoor community facilities for children and young people.

Don't be put off by some of this lot Jonathan - they knock everything to do with the council - and probably would whoever was running it! You have chosen to try to improve and challenge from within, which is great. Top of my list would be providing universal support for all parents, and targeted support for some. The problems with teenage drinking etc aren't caused by young people, they have their roots in parenting styles.

After that I would like a rail link to connect Bankquay and Central, cheaper bus fares and more free, supervised, indoor and outdoor community facilities for children and young people.

I do agree with your comments about the problems with teenage drinking although I do feel that it isn't always the parents fault.

With regards to the rail link idea, thats an interesting suggestion. With regards to Bus fares, I can reveal that there is a petition going around Warrington for bus fares for students to be cut to 50P which in my eyes is a slightly unrealisticly cheap price but ?1 would be more reasonable. In terms of everyone elses Bus fees, I again agree with you that it would be good if Bus fares were cheaper and whilst the fight for it won't end, that looks set to be a very long running fight. With regards to more community facilities for young people, there are actually a fair few though there should still be a few more and more for children too. I feel its a great shame that a fair few Holiday Clubs are dieing out though hopefully these will start being revived again whilst other childrens facilities are brought in.

Why do you feel students deserve to travel more cheaply than anybody else? Do they not already get discount on a great many things? Do all students need financial help? Could the "student night" cheap booze nights be part of the alcohol problems we face today? I would like to hear your views Jonathan. :)

I never actually said students deserve to travel more cheaply than anybody else but it does so happen that Bus fares are in fact often cheaper than everybody else, I don't actually agree that should be the case though. Whilst some students for various reasons do need financial assistance, a lot don't. In terms of Booze prices, I believe Booze should be more expensive than it already is and that would help reduce the amount young people buy however it would be ridiculous to think that would be be all and end all solution to the problem because it obviously wouldn't be.