If An 18 Year Old Stood For Council

Jonathan Levy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"sadly for you though not many votes as you came in last despite the state of the Labour party :wink:

Worth noting that the young 'Warrington Conservative' got far more votes than a LOT of the more aged and time served ladies and gents who also stood for Borough seats for the various parties. I actually think he did very well and should be proud of himself.......even though he's a conservative :wink::lol:

I happen to think had there have been more canvassing in the area, the result would have been very close, a high quality election address was delivered to each address, next time there will be more literature, then we'll see. I think that in the Warrington South area the Conservatives put up the most young candidates including a young mother. All parties need to work hard to encourage participation by our young people, many of them are very impressive and have a lot to offer....they are afterall our future. :wink:

Yes welcome Warrington Conservative and thanks Peter whose above post reminded me that manners are important :)

Thank you Baz and Peter, yeh i did come last but i gained more votes and a higher vote % than the last candidate *not bad for my first time standing - there's my politicians spin over*, i noticed labour putting a lot of material in the area too which makes for a change *they also crowded my table at the count and seemed hopeful that they would win it - maybe they'd banked on that*, i think they'd packed a lot of effort into taking the seat from the liberals, and fair play their candidate did her best, and to PJ if you think that's the worst of political 'wind ups' i've heard in my time then think again :wink: haha :wink: - but at least you have good manners :)

jw I am certain its not the worst you have heard nor are likely to. It was never meant to be. The general feeling I get is that people have had a gut full of politics and especially politicians and this sadly will tarnish anybody linked with political parties no matter how undeserving ths may be.

Re the local elections in Great Sankey South ( and North)I see that not one Conservative representative bothered to stand for Parish which would rule them out as an option for my vote at Town council level. The same thing happened here in Callands where, despite there being 2 uncontested spaces, no Conservatives were standing as ward parish councillors. I can only think that as Parish Councillors recieve no money at all for their work, unlike Town Councillors , it is much less attractive a proposition for a politically ambitious candidate.

If I had my way any person wishing to stand for Town Council must have served his local parish council for at least 2 years. This would stop all these political party placements coming in to contest local elections in areas they are neither from nor have ever represented at any level. This way at least the electorate would know that the person they were voting for at Town Council had served them at some level and it would also give the electorate something by which to measure the candidates. It would also prove a level of commitment from all prospective Councillors. It will never happen though :wink:

I can only think that as Parish Councillors recieve no money at all for their work, unlike Town Councillors , it is much less attractive a proposition for a politically ambitious candidate.

That of course isn't the reason at all. Actually my understanding is that Parish Councillors can be paid, and indeed in some areas of the country they are. Here in Warrington PJ Parish & Town are in effect one and the same, it is Borough Councillors who are paid.

I can only think that as Parish Councillors recieve no money at all for their work, unlike Town Councillors , it is much less attractive a proposition for a politically ambitious candidate.

That of course isn't the reason at all. Actually my understanding is that Parish Councillors can be paid, and indeed in some areas of the country they are. Here in Warrington PJ Parish & Town are in effect one and the same, it is Borough Councillors who are paid.

Sorry Paul my mistake on the terminology but thanks for pointing it out. Any idea why no Conservatives stand for Parish in Burtonwood and Westbrook or in Great Sankey North or South but there are always "Borough" candidates. Is it that there are no Conservative supporters locally available and they have to be brought in from elsewhere? Perhaps from Warrington South?

I see that not one Conservative representative bothered to stand for Parish

It wasn't a question of not being bothered. Anyway I don't want to go in to it in detail as the L/Ds will just misquote me and exploit my honesty :wink::D

Paul I hope the Wolves players show as much skill as yourself this afternoon. With such wonderful sidesteps they should batter Wakefield :wink:

If I had my way any person wishing to stand for Town Council must have served his local parish council for at least 2 years.

One lives in hope you won't....and it is Borough Council by the way.

Of course serving as a Parish Councillor is no guarantee that that person will be any good as a Borough Councillor, very different skill sets are required. Rather like my old business days, I was the Managing Director of a business with a network of depots, I had never managed a depot in my life, yet I turned the business around, because I was able to look at it from a much broader perspective.

Interestingly the time committment to be a BC is far far greater than being a PC.

I see that not one Conservative representative bothered to stand for Parish

It wasn't a question of not being bothered. Anyway I don't want to go in to it in detail as the L/Ds will just misquote me and exploit my honesty :wink::D

Paul I hope the Wolves players show as much skill as yourself this afternoon. With such wonderful sidesteps they should batter Wakefield :wink:

No it's not side stepping at all, it is a recognition of the reality, I am a prolific poster on this Forum, and political opponents have misquoted me and exploited the honesty I have shown on this Forum....and elsewhere, BBC R4 The World This Weekend for example. :wink:

If I had my way any person wishing to stand for Town Council must have served his local parish council for at least 2 years. This would stop all these political party placements coming in to contest local elections in areas they are neither from nor have ever represented at any level. This way at least the electorate would know that the person they were voting for at Town Council had served them at some level and it would also give the electorate something by which to measure the candidates. It would also prove a level of commitment from all prospective Councillors. It will never happen though :wink:

OR in the event that there is no Parish Council, as a member of a Residents Association or some such body. :wink:

If I had my way any person wishing to stand for Town Council must have served his local parish council for at least 2 years.

One lives in hope you won't....and it is Borough Council by the way.

Of course serving as a Parish Councillor is no guarantee that that person will be any good as a Borough Councillor, very different skill sets are required. Rather like my old business days, I was the Managing Director of a business with a network of depots, I had never managed a depot in my life, yet I turned the business around, because I was able to look at it from a much broader perspective.

Interestingly the time committment to be a BC is far far greater than being a PC.

you already mentioned the borough/town mistake Paul. I acknowledged my mistake with the good grace with which the critisism was levelled. Are you now going to use this as a beginning to all your posts to me :? you didn't however offer any explanation as to the complete dirth of Conservative Parish Candidates but a BOROUGH Candidate in each ward.

Paul,

if that is the case, would you mind writing the following..... "Gordon Brown is a one-eyed slack-jawed Scottish troughsnuffler"

I can then send it to the BBC as a quote and it may get on the telly!! :lol::lol::lol:

OR in the event that there is no Parish Council, as a member of a Residents Association or some such body. :wink:

Indeed Peter. :wink:

and its Borough not town but now I'm being pedantic.

"Of course serving as a Parish Councillor is no guarantee that that person will be any good as a Borough Councillor"

I would say it is a better indicator than which political party is least/most popular at the time of the elections.

But PJ, you are a sensible individual... you try convincing the electorate in say Bewsey or Longford to vote for a Conservative candidate; regardless of how fantastic he may have been as a parish councillor. (which he could have got as an unopposed candidate)

More chance of snogging a giraffe (to quote a phrase!)

But PJ, you are a sensible individual... you try convincing the electorate in say Bewsey or Longford to vote for a Conservative candidate; regardless of how fantastic he may have been as a parish councillor. (which he could have got as an unopposed candidate)

More chance of snogging a giraffe (to quote a phrase!)

Or perhaps a Lib Dem doctor from the Midlands getting in, in Bewsey :D:D:D

Baz I'm asking about Westbrook,Callands,Whittle Hall, Kingswood etc. not Bewsey.

quote]

The person in question is not a medical doctor, but has a Ph.D. in Russian Economic Transition and Pollution Control, which I've no doubt is of great benefit to the folks in Bewsey & Whitecross. :wink:

PS Most academics rarely use the title doctor outside of their academic environment as it is deemed to be rather pompous....and doctorates do tend to be ten a penny nowadays.

quote]

The person in question is not a medical doctor, but has a Ph.D. in Russian Economic Transition and Pollution Control, which I've no doubt is of great benefit to the folks in Bewsey & Whitecross. :wink:

Looking at her recent history it seems the Lib/dems are determined to slot in this "golden girl" of theirs and it doesn't matter where it seems. I see she is very keen on growing fruit and veg which is marvelous but perhaps she could let me know where she grows them as her address is a flat in Bewsey :wink::wink::wink: