If An 18 Year Old Stood For Council

Jonathan Levy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathon good to see that you haven't put you off by the comments from the none voting public on this site - I'm sure that Paul will take you under his wing and get you involved in canvassing, leafletting and hopefully the local manifesto with an important input from younger voters. I see that you have lready posted some of your ideas but what will be TOP of your list :?:

As has been said Jonathan, trying to get involved in politics at such a young age smacks of careerism and not wanting to go out and do a proper job!

I understand he is thinking of taking a commission in the Army when he graduates.

Which isn't a proper job though is it?

I didn't reply to that Army comment by Paul as I wasn't sure whether it was meant to be a joke or not because to be honest if he meant that comment then I really do not know where he heard that as I have absolutely no intention of joining the Army. I wish to become a Journalist in the future.

Jonathon good to see that you haven't put you off by the comments from the none voting public on this site - I'm sure that Paul will take you under his wing and get you involved in canvassing, leafletting and hopefully the local manifesto with an important input from younger voters. I see that you have lready posted some of your ideas but what will be TOP of your list :?:

That's a good question. Well obviously in terms of national politics one of the main Conservative policies is being tough on crime and I feel that at this present time one of Warrington's biggest issues is the booze culture that the town has in recent times started to pick up and so one of my top priorities would be to decrease the 'Booze Culture'. Obviously it isn't going to completely disappear but it can still be greatly reduced. Council Tax is also very high in Warrington and I amd many others are keen for it to be reduced and so as much as possible needs to be done to reduce it.

I also very much wish to include more young people in the political process.

Go for it Jonathan! If the Conservative party has enthused you then that's your business and you will have reasons to support them. They do have a rather active 'Young Conservatives' group so that seems to be paying off. I haven't known of a councillor aged 18, but certainly one of 19 and one of 21, so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't stand. If the Conservatives have principles you agree with then stand on the party ticket. If not, you could stand as an independent - though you have to fund for campaign. You may find you gather a following of young voters who feel the council is out of touch!

Best wishes

Go for it Jonathan! If the Conservative party has enthused you then that's your business and you will have reasons to support them. They do have a rather active 'Young Conservatives' group so that seems to be paying off. I haven't known of a councillor aged 18, but certainly one of 19 and one of 21, so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't stand. If the Conservatives have principles you agree with then stand on the party ticket. If not, you could stand as an independent - though you have to fund for campaign. You may find you gather a following of young voters who feel the council is out of touch!

Best wishes

Thanks very much for that nice message. In terms of the young Conservative Group called 'Warrington South Conservative Future' that is starting to properly get going this Summer so I'll be participating in that. It is led by Jonathan Woodruff who stood in Great Sankey South in the recent local elections. He's 19.

Anyway with regards to standing as an Independent, I must admit I have considered it however I would prefer to stand for the Conservatives as obviously it is they who I truly support and agree and believe in their principles etc.

Jonathan Council tax in Warrington is slightly below the national average (based on band D). That said I don't think anyone would mind paying less if the service levels remained the same or improved.

Yeah I've heard that but I still feel it can be and should be reduced.

At what cost?

Jonathan Council tax in Warrington is slightly below the national average (based on band D). That said I don't think anyone would mind paying less if the service levels remained the same or improved.

At what cost?

I have to be honest I'm not decided on exactly what cost but I still feel that it needs to be reduced by a fair bit.

At what cost?

I have to be honest I'm not decided on exactly what cost but I still feel that it needs to be reduced by a fair bit.

I mean at what cost to services?

Where do you stand on bus deregulation?

I feel that whilst it has in some places improved service levels and reduced fares, many areas, particularly smaller areas, have seen a significantly reduced service, especially off-peak and so obviously that is one major disadvantage. I also feel that some of the larger Bus companies have used services and tactics to benefit them, rather than serve the customer better. It should also be noted that Bus usage has significantly reduced since deregulation was introduced, which of course is probably down to more people preferring to use cars which of course is not good for the environment.

Oh Jonny; simple rule: yer can't spend what you don't receive in taxation: thus low taxes = low public services. :wink: As for bus de-regulation; introduced by the Tories, we had bus wars in Warrington, with private buses just creaming off the profitable routes; private = buisiness: public = service. :wink: