If An 18 Year Old Stood For Council

Jonathan Levy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that PJ Callands and as a matter of a fact, the Conservative Party do want to ruthlessly pursue money for all matters and reduce council tax and I am sure that the party would not be against my idea of trying to decrease and get rid of the stereotypical image of young people being yobs etc.

I'll second what gary said about welcoming you to the forum Jonathan, but just a couple of things.

I totally agree with Baz J on this, what is it you can - or have - to offer people with almost 30 years more life experience than yourself ? I take most stuff with a pinch of salt nowadays, because that's how you become over time. You need a lot more experience of the 'real world' for a lot longer to understand the point we are making, one of the reasons I've become so laid back nowadays is quite simply because I believe things when they actually happen ! when you're young it's different, unfortunately when you are young you think you know EVERYTHING, but sadly you really know sod all !!

However, I am always one for people who try to get on in life and carve out what their ambitions are so I am not condoning you for wanting to go into a career that you wish to pursue. There's nothing worse than hearing some folk whinge about being sick of their job etc when only THEY can do anything about it ! :roll: you get where you want and go as far as you want because of your own ambition .......... and there is nothing to stop anyone doing that.

Baz J - only thing different is that I like old bikes ........ AND fast women ! :wink::P

Just one last point Jonathan, I hope you continue to post on here, but please keep your posts and ideas to the topics section, I don't appreciate receiving pm's that are exactly the same as youve written on here, do your speaking openly :wink:

I'll second what gary said about welcoming you to the forum Jonathan, but just a couple of things.

I totally agree with Baz J on this, what is it you can - or have - to offer people with almost 30 years more life experience than yourself ? I take most stuff with a pinch of salt nowadays, because that's how you become over time. You need a lot more experience of the 'real world' for a lot longer to understand the point we are making, one of the reasons I've become so laid back nowadays is quite simply because I believe things when they actually happen ! when you're young it's different, unfortunately when you are young you think you know EVERYTHING, but sadly you really know sod all !!

However, I am always one for people who try to get on in life and carve out what their ambitions are so I am not condoning you for wanting to go into a career that you wish to pursue. There's nothing worse than hearing some folk whinge about being sick of their job etc when only THEY can do anything about it ! :roll: you get where you want and go as far as you want because of your own ambition .......... and there is nothing to stop anyone doing that.

Baz J - only thing different is that I like old bikes ........ AND fast women ! :wink::P

Just one last point Jonathan, I hope you continue to post on here, but please keep your posts and ideas to the topics section, I don't appreciate receiving pm's that are exactly the same as youve written on here, do your speaking openly :wink:

Thanks for your views and I apologise on your latter point.

Well, like my food, I prefer politicians that are home grown and organic, having survived a few of life's storms and hopefully come out of it a wiser being at the other end. One just has to look at the likes of the Millibands to see the results of political factory farmed youths, totally ambitious, plageristic and careerist, with a penchant for every new half-baked line of spin. :roll: So Jonathan, you have your OWN ideas for righting the wrongs of the world and slaying a few dragons; well, as others have pointed out, when you join "a Party" your ideas are diluted by your peers and you are whipped into line. :roll: To pick just one of your personal manifesto points: "closer relations" with the Police. Do you actually know how the present political - police relationship is structured; it's a dog's breakfast, and your new found colleagues ain't going to change it as it allows them extra allowances. :shock: As for "plain speaking"; no chance: every word has to be measured, just in case you offend some PC grouping or some hyper-sensitive individual who substitutes the threat of litigation for debate. As Tone as rightly said: whilst youth may provide enthusiasm and thinks it knows it all; it frankly knows nowt. :wink:

Well, like my food, I prefer politicians that are home grown and organic, having survived a few of life's storms and hopefully come out of it a wiser being at the other end. One just has to look at the likes of the Millibands to see the results of political factory farmed youths, totally ambitious, plageristic and careerist, with a penchant for every new half-baked line of spin. :roll: So Jonathan, you have your OWN ideas for righting the wrongs of the world and slaying a few dragons; well, as others have pointed out, when you join "a Party" your ideas are diluted by your peers and you are whipped into line. :roll: To pick just one of your personal manifesto points: "closer relations" with the Police. Do you actually know how the present political - police relationship is structured; it's a dog's breakfast, and your new found colleagues ain't going to change it as it allows them extra allowances. :shock: As for "plain speaking"; no chance: every word has to be measured, just in case you offend some PC grouping or some hyper-sensitive individual who substitutes the threat of litigation for debate. As Tone as rightly said: whilst youth may provide enthusiasm and thinks it knows it all; it frankly knows nowt. :wink:

Again I fully respect your views and thank you for your comment.

Also, thanks very much to Gary for the nice welcoming comment and thanks PJ Callands for expressing your views. I do agree with you that it would be best for those who stand, to stand in the ward they live in, but as we know, that is not always the case but that does not at all mean to say those in power of a ward that they may not live in do not do a good job as many of them do an absolutely excellent job and are highly respected by those in the ward they run, even if they're not from that particular ward. One Councillor who doesn't live in the ward he was elected to in May is Paul Kennedy who now represents Stretton and Hatton, well I'm certain that he'll do a terrific job.

To be a good local councillor you need to rise above party politics!

The main reason I have never become involved in local politics is because I enjoy being my own man, with my own beliefs.

I also have friends in all parties :wink:

You point out that PK dosn't live in the area he was elected - but it is walking distance!

Whilst I would obviously tow the party line, I am strong in my beliefs though that most definately does not mean I wouldn't listen to others because I certainly would though like you Gary have mentioned, Local Council should to an extent be about local matters rather than party politics.

:roll: to an extent????????

and also that is the first time I have ever found a use for the rolls eyes smiley. :wink:

Whilst I would obviously tow the party line, I am strong in my beliefs though that most definately does not mean I wouldn't listen to others because I certainly would though like you Gary have mentioned, Local Council should to an extent be about local matters rather than party politics.

:roll: to an extent????????

and also that is the first time I have ever found a use for the rolls eyes smiley. :wink:

Well what I mean is obviously in local politics, party politics still features but obviously local matters are very, very important.

Well whatever you decide with your political ambitions Jonathan keep up with your posting on here as it is always good to see young people on here adding to the debate!

As you will see in the latest issue of WWW mag (out now) we like to promote everything positive about Warrington involving young people, while also not burying our heads in the sand on the issues which need tackling in our town!

Hi Jonathan

I am guessing from your first posting that you are currently only 17 years old.

From all your subsequent postings on various topics you are obviously heavily into politics and to some extent 'the conservative way'. Are you studying politics at college ?

It is commendable, and indeed very unusual, that someone of your age feels so strongly about issues that you want to make a difference but may I ask you why at such a young age you are so politically motivated ?

Not knocking you at all by the way I'm just interested :wink:

One Councillor who doesn't live in the ward he was elected to in May is Paul Kennedy who now represents Stretton and Hatton, well I'm certain that he'll do a terrific job.

You point out that PK dosn't live in the area he was elected - but it is walking distance!

Thank you Gary. Indeed I frequently walk up to see residents in Stretton

Many residents of Stretton have an Appleton postal address, the political boundary does cause some confusion.

Jonathan, it is Hatton, Stretton & Walton.

Interestingly the Parish Councillors of the 3 Parish councils within the Ward all stand as Independents, and working with them is a great pleasure.

Hi Jonathan

I am guessing from your first posting that you are currently only 17 years old.

From all your subsequent postings on various topics you are obviously heavily into politics and to some extent 'the conservative way'. Are you studying politics at college ?

It is commendable, and indeed very unusual, that someone of your age feels so strongly about issues that you want to make a difference but may I ask you why at such a young age you are so politically motivated ?

Not knocking you at all by the way I'm just interested :wink:

That is correct, I am currently 17 years old.

I am indeed studying Politics at College, Priestley College.

In response to your question, I seek to make a difference and feel that it would be great if there was a young person representing a particular ward, obviously when I say young person I may those 18 to mid 20's and obviously I wish to encourage other young people to get actively involved in Politics such as getting more 18 years olds to vote when it comes to local elections and national of course.

As has been said Jonathan, trying to get involved in politics at such a young age smacks of careerism and not wanting to go out and do a proper job!

I understand he is thinking of taking a commission in the Army when he graduates.

Which isn't a proper job though is it?