40% price hike!

Seems we have a threatened 40% price hike in energy costs, and it's down to 6 major European Companies profiteering on the back of their Cartel position; so much for OfGen and the soke and mirrors privatisation of our energy companies. :roll: Since 2003, gas has gone up 108% and electricity 63%: meanwhile Gordon plays lip service to the half hearted efforts to save the old from the cold. :roll: Hows about a massive FREE home insulation programme Gordon; and start taxing the super-rich to pay for it?! :evil:

I read somewhere recently that the UK still has a good supply of gas from the north sea, however we do not have sufficient storage facilites, so we sell the excess cheap to storage companies in europe (such as e-on) who then sell it back to us as consumers at huge profits!

how about a re-nationalisation of Brittish gas, and more storage if thats whats needed.

Candles for light, log burners for warmth and cooking over an open fire pit.....

that's what we'll all be forced to live like soon :cry:

Which is how people lived for centuries ! but because 99.9% are so pathetically useless nowadays we can't cope unless it's at the push of a button :roll:

What's wrong with log burning stoves anyway ? I've got one, best thing I ever did was get rid of feeble gas fires :roll:

Candles for light, log burners for warmth and cooking over an open fire pit.....

that's what we'll all be forced to live like soon :cry:

Which is how people lived for centuries ! but because 99.9% are so pathetically useless nowadays we can't cope unless it's at the push of a button :roll:

What's wrong with log burning stoves anyway ? I've got one, best thing I ever did was get rid of feeble gas fires :roll:

That was my point... we will be forced to live like people did centuries ago. Does sound cosy though eh?

Nothing wrong with log burning stoves at all. I think they are great and a fiend of mine hardly ever has to use her central heating since getting once. It reduced their gas bill dramatically last year.

We are hoping to get one once we get our chimney stack unbricked which some moron decided to block off many years ago :roll:

observer,

It is means tested with a fairly wide scope.

At least it caters for the financially vulnerable, and elderly who are least likely to be able to afford to pay.

As for everyone else, as you frequently say, there is no such thing as a free ride. :wink:

The objective is to secure more effecient consumption of energy, not because of global warming in my view; but because it cuts uneccessary waste and reduced costs. :? Therefore, any insulation programme should be applied to ALL homes, regardless of "means"; and funded through taxation according to one's ability to pay. :roll: Thus we all pay in the end through taxation, BUT we receive it FREE at the point of installation - or is that tooooo old Labour?! :wink: While on the subject: all the money that the EU is extorting from Local Councils (Ratepayers) for Landfill Tax; could/should be re-invested in alternative local energy schemes, such as community incineration etc. :wink: