Building on our Parks.

observer

I dont think anyone has a problem with whats being built, clearly its where thats the problem.

ORFORD PARK !!!

Where abouts exactly?? surely not on the park itself when there are so many areas very close by that could be developed.

Theres plenty of waste ground or derelect areas where the garages used to be further round from the main entrance, continue past the houses to the area on the right nearer winwick road, or the back parking areas near the blackie arms, or the small shop area near the disused railway bridges eithe near st annes school or the other end near o'leary street

The clue is in the title of PPG17 - it's only Planning Guidance - not the law :!: Besides, when has the Council ever been bothered about adherence to national planning policy? The same PPG requires Council's to derive its own play space requirements, open space requirements etc. Instead, Warrington ripped off the discredited "six-acre standard" produced by the National Playing Fields Association, which is a uniform standard applied regardless of Warrington's local context.

Why bother to get it right when you can get it wrong for less money :?:

Perhaps the Government and Council have decided, that if the kids arn't using the parks (except to binge drink), cos parents are so scared of peadophiles hiding behind every bush, or hoodies with knives - well maybe they have a point?! :shock: So the kids can stay in, glued to the TV or PC, and get fatter and fatter and fatter. :shock: Then they'll eventually need to go to the bran new Doctor's Surgery, to sort out their diabetes and heart problems. :roll: Funny old world! :wink:

The new developments on Orford Park will slightly affect the current park area, but only in terms of improvements to the park. Any new buildings will be built on the waste land between the current park boundary near the service gate and the A49 Winwick Road.

Don't forget it's not just a doctor going on there, the project will provide a series of much needed high quality facilities and services, including:

Flexible community space, Office space, 100-station Fitness Zone, Dance studio, Outdoor pitches, Full size STP, 3 mini pitches, 4 new full size football pitches, Warrington Wolves stadium pitch, 6-lane Swimming Pool, Learner Pool, Foyer / caf?, Warrington Wolves academy, Community Library, Elements of PCT provision, Classroom space, 3 squash courts, Cr?che

They are just a few things why this project will be beneficial to both Orford and Warrington as a whole.

More information is on

http://orfordproject.warrington.gov.uk/

The new developments on Orford Park will slightly affect the current park area, but only in terms of improvements to the park. Any new buildings will be built on the waste land between the current park boundary near the service gate and the A49 Winwick Road.

Don't forget it's not just a doctor going on there, the project will provide a series of much needed high quality facilities and services, including:

Flexible community space, Office space, 100-station Fitness Zone, Dance studio, Outdoor pitches, Full size STP, 3 mini pitches, 4 new full size football pitches, Warrington Wolves stadium pitch, 6-lane Swimming Pool, Learner Pool, Foyer / caf?, Warrington Wolves academy, Community Library, Elements of PCT provision, Classroom space, 3 squash courts, Cr?che

They are just a few things why this project will be beneficial to both Orford and Warrington as a whole.

More information is on

http://orfordproject.warrington.gov.uk/

But surely all this additional money will be spent on facilities which at the moment are mostly within walking distance of Orford Park already?

• * 5 a side pitches at that place on Long Lane
    * Office space on Long Lane Business Park
    * Doctors surgeries all over the place
    * Swimming pools at Fordton Leisure
    * Fitness Zone at that Gym place over the other side of Winwick Road
    * Dance studio on Orford Lane
    * Warrington Wolves pitch - er big one next to Tescos already I believe!!
    * Cafe... Macdonalds and a few others already within walking distance
    * Library - one in town
    * Wolves acadamy - are they paying for this then?
    * PCT provision and classroom space already available at the Haliwell
    Jones Stadium

So personally I can't see the point!

I must say it looks very nice in graphics...they always do though don't they

But this area (warrington north winwick road etc) has already been developed to an unrecognisable level over the past 10/20 years with hotels, new college, dreadful carvery (my opinion or rather experiance), bath shops, gyms, car dealerships, tescos, post office depot,plumbworld, pcworld, carpet world, tile city, mothercare, asda, labowl,macdonalds, rugby stadiums,cinemas, leisure centres,ikea,M&S,renault, Boots, Next, Halfords, Holiday Hypermarket, KFC, BMW, Vauxhall, Audi...basicaly anything that fits into a 50,000 sq feet grey metal garage....sticks a sign on saying open for business and the name of your company/business.

As a resident of this area, I dont mind traveling a bit too...uh I don't know maybe lymm, grappenhall, stockton heath, thellwall....you know south warrington to have the eysesore facilities and the major roads with rediculous lights and busy road between the residential area and the olny remaining school...oh but wait no we can't go upsetting the "villagers" (or so they call themselves, I live in dallam village myself) can we...heaven forbid they get such eyesores as a small pizza shopin an already existing building... why is north warrington the dumping ground for this crap!

BTW didnt some town get in trouble recently for using promotional material attracting people to their town containing pictures that were not of their town ?

where exactly in orford park is the picture on this page

http://orfordproject.warrington.gov.uk/news/

hold on a minute !

I withdraw my complaint about the road getting busier that is between the residential areas and the last remaining school in the area based after seeing this plan of the project

http://orfordproject.warrington.gov.uk/Images/Layout%201%20lr_tcm30-14706.pdf

my new thought is...wheres the school gone whats that tiny little yellow dot thats supposed to capture three districts !

sorry to keep coming back and editing but

JESUS 11 football pitches yes !!! and what appears to be park facilities for 150 cars througout the entire development...glad I dont live on alder lane.

simple maths even if their only five aside pitches thats 110 people...but we wont mention, the school, college, yada yada yada

There are always pros and cons in everything: a facility for the cultivation of young sporting talent (home of RL); who knows, local kids may start to exercise rather than being tied to the P.C./T.V. and we may even create a Wolves team consisting of 13 Warringtonians?! :lol: Of course; for such prestige; someone has to pay, and it seems it won't just be the fans! :shock:

Legion,

Have you seen how many eating places have been crammed into Latchford and St. Heath?

Latchford must cater for every nationality going.

And for you information, we are very "unhappy" that this project has become so big, because it has taken all monies and effort from developing Victoria Park.

The skate park and kiddies area was built and then everything and everybody did a runner to Orford Park.

:evil::twisted::evil:

LOL. observer.

The opening was the first and last "Skate Jam".

WBC seem to have lost all interest. The steering committee hasn't met for years, the "cafe" and music system never happened, and NO-ONE has any answers.

Latchford West Community Forum are trying to get things moving again and resurrect some of the ideas that were suggested 4/5 years ago.

Unless things start to change, it might as well become a building site.

Perhaps Warrington Town FC might want to make it their new ground for when they get promoted.

Would love to see skateboarding and BMXing in the olympics... bit more interesing that swimming :D

The Orford Park project and the proposed facilities do sound good though :shock:

As for Vicky Park..... what were the other plans that never materialised?

It is a fantastic piece space and I've often thought that more could be made of it. (NOT HOUSING THANKS !!! ) They really need to do something about the severly pot holed all terain car park area though. Unles you have an off road 4x4 dont even think about it :shock:

The athletics area is good but could be made even better.

The skate/bmx park is the only one of it's kind in Warrington and kids travel from all over to use it. As such it is often a little overcrowded which is no doubt frustrating to both the more expert riders and for the wobbly ones who want to learn. It needs to be bigger though and perhaps a seperate one for the up and coming wobblies for safety and fairness :wink:

Given all the money that is drawn in from 106 agreements and the likes can't WBC create more 'on the doorstep' places like this for kids in all areas of the borough.

Unfortunately over here in the south of warr all we seem to get is housing developments, bars, endless restaurants and nothing at all for the kids to do :evil:

I don't have any figures, although I could speak to the Youth guy and find out.

The problem is (apart from flooding when it rains) is that the support from the council and the Community stopped as the Orford project gained momentum.

Once that happens, these things tend to become graveyards.

Hopefully, with support from the residents of Latchford and the surrounding areas, we can do something to make the park somewhere worth visiting once more.

Mr Skittles? Why am I not surprised. Isn't it time he retired to his villa?

Dismayed,

The car park and field drainage were suggested 4/5 years ago when Mersey Valley did a couple of "Open Days" on the park asking people what they thought the park needed.

I haven't got the survey with me at the moment, but will bring it home and give some info.