Vacancy for council clerk

Gary

How come Stretton only get ?7k but Culcheth get ?60k :shock:

How much do all the other Parishes get and what happens to all the area who don't have Parish Councils :?:

The stipend for Burtonwood and Westbrook Parish Council in 2007/2008 is 72k. I'm still new to this Dismayed so I can't help with how the figures are arrived at or how the areas which do not have a parish council are given their money.

If you look at your council tax bill you will see the amount you are charged for your parish precept.

Some areas have a bigger precept than others because they do additional things in the community.

e.g Penketh has one of the biggest parish precepts to help fund the public baths built in the area by the parish council.

If Stretton only charge ?7,000 they won't be able to do a great deal in the local community which involves spending public money.

Parish Councils have powers to do things that where there are no parishes are done centrally by the local authority, here's a list of some of the things parishes might do....PJ will particularly like item 1....on the subject of which, and further to another topic, I am making a special point of mentioning allotments during my section at Parish Council meetings:-

The provision of allotments.

Developing and improving knowledge of the arts and crafts.

Provision of bars and laundrettes.

Cemeteries, crematoria, maintenance of churchyards and the provision of mortuaries.

Provision and maintenance of public clocks.

Provision of any form of public entertainment and of any premises for giving entertainments; this includes maintaining bands or orchestras and providing for dancing.

The provision of buildings for public meetings and functions, indoor sports, physical recreation, for clubs having recreation, social or athletic objectives.

The provision and maintenance of footway lighting, which lights roads and pavements.

The provision of litter bins and the support of anti-litter campaigns.

The provision and maintenance of public open spaces, pleasure grounds and public walks, public lavatories, car parks, cycle parks, public parks and associated facilities.

Maintenance of public footpaths and bridleways, planting and maintaining road side verges.

Maintenance of public seats, shelters for general public use and particularly for bus passengers, erection of signs which warn of dangers, renounce a place name or indicate a bus stop.

Provision of indoor or outdoor swimming pools or bathing places.

Provision of facilities for conferences, the encouragement of recreation and business tourism.

Powers to maintain a village or town green.

In addition to all those things, a parish council can do anything, provided it is for the general benefit of the community, and that the expenditure in any one year does not exceed ?5.30 per local government elector in that particular parish or community.

There were discussions in Warrington about more powers being handed to Parishes, as I recall Parish Councils didn't seem too keen because of the extra work involved, and of course there is the question of economies of scale.

The level of precept will be related to the number of homes and their banding and also the work the PC or TC does as the figure for Stretton and Culcheth & Glazebury show. Having now dug out the figures I notice the largest Birchwood will get ?312,000 whilst the smallest Cuerdley gets ?904. Dismayed might be interested to know SH gets ?64,000.

PS for Parish Councils, also read Town Councils...such as Birchwood

The provision of allotments.

Developing and improving knowledge of the arts and crafts.

Provision of bars and laundrettes.

Cemeteries, crematoria, maintenance of churchyards and the provision of mortuaries.

Provision and maintenance of public clocks.

Provision of any form of public entertainment and of any premises for giving entertainments; this includes maintaining bands or orchestras and providing for dancing.

The provision of buildings for public meetings and functions, indoor sports, physical recreation, for clubs having recreation, social or athletic objectives.

The provision and maintenance of footway lighting, which lights roads and pavements.

The provision of litter bins and the support of anti-litter campaigns.

The provision and maintenance of public open spaces, pleasure grounds and public walks, public lavatories, car parks, cycle parks, public parks and associated facilities.

Maintenance of public footpaths and bridleways, planting and maintaining road side verges.

Maintenance of public seats, shelters for general public use and particularly for bus passengers, erection of signs which warn of dangers, renounce a place name or indicate a bus stop.

Provision of indoor or outdoor swimming pools or bathing places.

Provision of facilities for conferences, the encouragement of recreation and business tourism.

Powers to maintain a village or town green.

In addition to all those things, a parish council can do anything, provided it is for the general benefit of the community, and that the expenditure in any one year does not exceed ?5.30 per local government elector in that particular parish or community.

There were discussions in Warrington about more powers being handed to Parishes, as I recall Parish Councils didn't seem too keen because of the extra work involved, and of course there is the question of economies of scale.

The level of precept will be related to the number of homes and their banding and also the work the PC or TC does as the figure for Stretton and Culcheth & Glazebury show. Having now dug out the figures I notice the largest Birchwood will get ?312,000 whilst the smallest Cuerdley gets ?904. Dismayed might be interested to know SH gets ?64,000.

PS for Parish Councils, also read Town Councils...such as Birchwood

I don't ever recall seeing an outdoor pool or any orchestras in Westbrook..... and I certainly don't remember any of the above when I lived in Bewsey!