King of the trough?

P J

Seems the Germans are putting a resolution to the EU Parliament outlawing the employment of relatives by MEPs; seems the Brits are planning to vote against it! :shock::roll::wink:

I'll wager that the whole Kinnock clan will not be in favour. :cry:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems the Germans are putting a resolution to the EU Parliament outlawing the employment of relatives by MEPs; seems the Brits are planning to vote against it! :shock::roll::wink:

The Germans aren't all bad then. :wink::D

Much as I love her, don't think I'd employ Mrs K, she'd be arguing with me over the wording of letters etc. I remember about 20 years ago, when I was the MD at Bridgend Group, my secretary was off, Sue came into to do some letters etc for me.....it was a one off. :wink:

I sense these revalations are driven by researchers from political parties....all political parties........ rather than the press, who are merely the conduit to exploit what information becomes available. I sense this is the start of the sort of political campaigning that will form the basis for the next general election. :(

PS Such revalations, some dating back many years, are a convenient distraction from the serious economic problems that our country is now facing. Maybe a clear focus on the billions that have been wasted over the years on ill thoughtout spending would be a better use of time and effort. :wink:

I would normally fully agree with that Paul; it should be about issues not gossip: BUT as there is little difference and certainly no solutions coming from any of the Parties; it seems highlighting the hypocracy and personal greed of politicians seems an appropriate pass time in the land of the clueless. :roll: Perhaps a new prog on TV; "Catch me, I'm a politician, with my hands in the till"! :lol::wink:

Perhaps a new prog on TV; "Catch me, I'm a politician, with my hands in the till"! :lol::wink:

True enough.... but maybe it should read "Catch me, I'm a politician, with my hands in the till but I haven't broken any rules...."

That's what they always say isn't it?

The Times:

"THE House of Commons has shredded more than 1m documents detailing expenses claims by MPs that were due to be revealed to the public.

The Commons authorities said last week they had destroyed all documents for MPs up to April 2004, even though official guidelines state that such records should be kept for six years.

Martin Bell, who was elected as an independent MP on an antisleaze platform in 1997, said: ?I think it is likely that some racketeering by some MPs has been so outrageous that, if it was revealed, they would be under pressure to resign.?"

One way of overcoming the Freedom of Information Act. :wink:

Where there is a will there is a way...as they say. :)

personal greed of politicians quote]

Of course personal greed is not the preserve of politicians, it is just they are an easy target.....and of course those not on the "fiddle" are not newsworthy. Whilst what has gone on is a disgrace, they will get their comeuppance in due course, the ?billions wasted by the state on hair brained projects and poor financial management is far more worrying.

Perhaps a new prog on TV; "Catch me, I'm a politician, with my hands in the till"! :lol::wink:

True enough.... but maybe it should read "Catch me, I'm a politician, with my hands in the till but I haven't broken any rules...."

That's what they always say isn't it?

It shouldn't be a question of rules, it is a question of ones personal morality. When I ran businesses, I had access to millions and I didn't just help myself....I knew many in the same position who did, but thankfully many more who did not.

Bit pessimistic Geoff. I have great faith in humanity. As Paul rightly says, the press isn't interested in stories about how well people do their jobs, they only want to report the sleaze and the wrong-doing. I meet people every day who are going about their business, living their lives, with compassion and commitment, doing their best for their families and communities.

Most people are moral and ethical, but that doesn't sell papers.

Whilst that may be true, a small number of "bad apples" infect the rest; and our political institutions should lead by example (well perhaps they are?)! :roll: One is reminded of Jesus turning over the tables in the Temple ot Oliver Cromwell swinging round the mace in Parliament - to understand what's required. :wink: Self regulation = nil regulation. :wink:

Not sure the bad apples 'infect' the rest - reflect on the rest certainly. But then some people are happy to believe one bad news story and apply it to everyone because they can't be bothered, or don't have the ability to work things out for themselves.

Absolutely political institutions should lead by example, and with regard to MPs expenses, there have been enough 'revelations' in recent years so no MP can still claim it was all a mistake! Whilst there is an element of self regulation for MPs, its essentially the public who regulate - don't do your job and we won't vote for you, thus you lose your job.

its essentially the public who regulate - don't do your job and we won't vote for you, thus you lose your job.

Exactly, it is just more of the public need to realise what power they have to turf out a useless MP....although of course many people vote for a party/ party leader rather than an individual constituency candidate who by and large most people never meet. Alas many people are unable to name their MP, such is the low profile of some of them.

Doesn't work like that Chrissy and Paul: you would literally have to change every single MP at an election, on the basis of reforming the system, to even stand a chance. :roll: What happens is: along comes a young crusader, with altruistic notions of what they can change; with a strong sense of right and wrong, black and white. :roll: Then, as a new boy/girl; they enter a world, a club, of self interest, where peer group pressures gradually drain one's conviction; and the desire to fit in or get promoted leads to turning a blind eye if not full involvement. :wink:

I heard on the radio the other day about one of these anti europe MEP's who got elected and he said in an interview that on his first day in the Parliament, he caught a train from London to Brussels.

He went first class return and his ticket was about ?320.00 give or take. On arrival at Brussels, he was directed to the office where he could get re-imbursed for his ticket and he duly handed over his receipt for the ?320.00 and was promptly handed back 750 euros. When he questioned the amount he had been given, he was told that that was the allowance claimable for travel to the Parliament regardless of how much he actually paid!!

No wonder they won't sign off their accounts!

You'll be pleased to note; that Ministers are to forego their pay rise this year - maybe our whinging has had an effect?! :wink:

Oh I doubt it Obs.... they are probably already planning how to fiddle a bit more out of the expenses to make up for it.

Believe me, they won't be out of pocket!