Zero tolerance approach to bin collection

Maybe a smaller black bin would be in order to coerce the public into recycling more?

or maybe even use the paper blue bin (which is small) for non recyclable and general household waste (instead of the black bin), we would have the new big blue bin for the recyclable stuff (and that could include the paper now too) and the green bin would still be ok for the garden and maybe also veg peelings and that sort of stuff too?.

The black bins could then be scrapped or sold to another council!!

There you go, sorted. an increase in recycling, reduction in general waste and virtually no additional cost to the taxpayer!!

Believe some Councils are fining folk for "leaving their bins out" outside the collection period - another little earner, and a great wind up! :wink:

And so they should be. :evil:

I agree, although simply forgetting to bring your bin in for a day is understandable and there should be a bit of leeway.

BUT those who deliberately leave them out all the time wether it's because of lack of space :roll: or not wanting to spoil the aesthetics of their gardens SHOULD BE WRITTEN TO ...and if they persist FINED !!

Unfortunately WBC (being behind everyone else in the country as usual :roll:) still do not have the relevant box crossed or paperwork in place which would allow their own enforcement officers to politely remind residents whilst knowing that they can then take more formal action or give fines if need be.

Not to worry..... they are continuing to monitor the situation (apparently) even though they confirm that they can't actually do a damn thing about it :evil: So what's the point I wonder :roll:

I'm whinging again... I know :oops:

I like the idea of the smaller black bin, would mean that I wouldn't need any more storage space than I do now.

However, there are problems with the big mixed recycling blue bin option. The recycling needs to be treated in different waste streams and by mixing it all together it gets contaminated and becomes worth much less. For example, clear glass should not be mixed with coloured, which is why you have different bins at the collection points around town. Also, all that broken glass gets into paper, reducing it's value and potential use also. The idea is fine, ie to increase recycling rates, but in practise it is flawed.

Baz: "these tin pot dictators" on the Council, are complying with the targets set by the "tin pot dictators" in Westminister; who in turn are complying with the "tin pot dictators" in Brussels, who have introduced landfill taxation, without subsidising alternatives or embarking on waste reduction at source initiatives. :shock: IF for example, supermarkets and shops gave a refund on all bottles brough back; IF suppliers were taxed on excess packageing etc; we may not need a university degree in re-cycling our rubbish, as there would be a LOT less of it. :wink:

Baz: "these tin pot dictators" on the Council, are complying with the targets set by the "tin pot dictators" in Westminister; who in turn are complying with the "tin pot dictators" in Brussels, who have introduced landfill taxation, without subsidising alternatives or embarking on waste reduction at source initiatives. :shock: IF for example, supermarkets and shops gave a refund on all bottles brough back; IF suppliers were taxed on excess packageing etc; we may not need a university degree in re-cycling our rubbish, as there would be a LOT less of it. :wink:

Obs,

I agree with you. I don't want Europe in any shape or form. It is a dictaorship waiting to happen. Soon we will have no control over anything in our own country but most people seem blind to that fact and spout on about the trade agreements etc.

What our dads voted for was a trading Europe, not a federal Europe. The Common Market was supposed to be just that. Unfortunately, the likes of Bliar and co have signed everything we had away to a bunch of bloody foreigners.