Soaring Petrol/Diesel Prices - are we being conned ?

Dizzy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know there is an issue with petrol/diesel prices at the moment but I can't help thinking that petrol stations are just jumping on the band waggon and ripping us off even further.

Less that two weeks ago I got diesel from the Chester Road 'Spar' petrol station and was shocked that it had rocketed to 127.8p per litre.

Today it is 130.9p per litre :shock::evil:

Wrong place to go.

The two supermarkets are always the cheapest this side of town.

I stopped going there.

Morrisons is the best place round here. Guess Tesco and Asda are the same but further away for me.

Morrisons give points too so so get a ?5 voucher when you reach the target and I don't have to pay 20p to pump my tyres up.

Apparently keeping your tyres at the right inflated level help with fuel consumption and it's definately made a difference to me.

BUT... Mr Brown (not that he deserves the title Mr :evil: ) if you are reading PULL YOUR FINGER OUT, STOP BEING A ****** AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT LOWERING FUEL PRICES !!

Yes I know there is an issue with petrol/diesel prices at the moment but I can't help thinking that petrol stations are just jumping on the band waggon and ripping us off even further.

Less that two weeks ago I got diesel from the Chester Road 'Spar' petrol station and was shocked that it had rocketed to 127.8p per litre.

Today it is 130.9p per litre :shock::evil:

Maybe that is because it is Shell, I understand many of the big supermarkets buy on the Rotterdam spot market, rather than a "branded" product and hence the price difference. Morrisons petrol comes via Eastham (delivered by DHL) rather than Shell's Stanlow refinery.

Gotta love those City boys - looking after my pension :D

The typical pension investment declined by about 6% over the last year.

Any funds that concentrated their investments in banks did far worse, HBOS has fallen from about ?10 to under ?3 in the last year alone....and Northern Rock....say no more. Ditto property companies, although during the period 96 - 06 the property company Savills share price grew by nearly 2000%, making it I think the best performing FTSE 250 share, but it has certainly gone downhill since.

Most "city boys...and girls" have now switched their attention to commodities hence the rapid rise in oil prices and grain

With regards the current Government reducing petrol prices, it is true that they can reduce the duty, which could be offset by the additional royalties received on the rising price of North Sea Oil and the extra VAT on the increased price of petrol. But interestingly oil companies now know what consumers are prepared to pay for petrol indeed evidence suggests that if forced to they will pay a lot more, so would they reduce the price at the pump even if the Government reduced taxes. I actually think petrol will hit the ?1.40 mark by this time next year and diesel ?1.50.

I understand central government is very reluctant to reduce its "income", given the increasing costs of providing services and the increasing demand for those services, the level of government borrowing/interest payments and the likely downturn in the economy leading to lower income and corporation tax receipts.

Well it's full of greedy, grasping MPs who are making enough money to fund it, however when it comes to paying out they're probably too tight! :roll: Why do yer think they got these rich donors in the first place - does a dog bite the hand that feeds it? :? Only if it's a Trade Union! :wink:

Your damn right the Government won't cut their tax on fuel; they may have to start taxing the super-rich for a change, if they did. :twisted:

Well they could try, but my guess is most would have their private jets :wink: take them to countries where there is a low .....or nil tax rate, so alas it seems those of us who can't....or won't jump ship will be left picking up the tab.....again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Brown goes from bad to worse; following the 10p tax fiasco which hurt the worst off; they are now steaming ahead with another tax take from the average-low income earner - by their proposed increased tax on older cars, which will affect over 9 million drivers. :twisted:

I liked the bit on Radio 5 this morning where they played the clip of Brown saying "the majority of drivers will be better off" when in fact the reverse is true :!:

Never mind, the Government apologist who was on sais that "Gordon was listening" ... although he didn't say what he was listening to :wink:

They had a transport minister on the radio today and the interviewer kept saying that Brown had stated in the commons on the 4th of July that there would be far more winners than losers but she absolutely refused to acknowledge the comments and kept saying "yes, but on the 17th of June.....such a body said...." she would not admit live on air that Gordon got it wrong. It was so funny!!

Well my gas guzzling 3 litre Cosworths are safe from the hike for now as they are both 1998 cars.... I do have my eyes on a lovely 4.4 litre X5 and that is a 2000 registered so again will be still relatively cheap to tax in comparrison to those disgusting polution creating 1.4 VW Golfs that are facing a deserved 35% tax rise!!! :lol::lol:

OK, hands up anyone who is left who thinks this lot in power are doing a good job?? :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
What we need manufacturers to do is something in between a GWhizz and this beauty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2277944/Europe%27s-first-electric-super-car%2C-with-a-top-speed-of-130mph%2C-launched-this-month.html

This at least shows that the technologies exist to build proper electic options.

Now that I would definately have :D Pity about the price tag though whcih means I 'wont have' after all :roll:

Register with PetrolPrices.com

You get a weekly update via e-mail re, 5 cheapest filling stations in this area.

I registered with them but have never received any emails :cry:

Not sure what Morrisons is as they were changing the sign the other day and I missed it. They are usually cheaper than others in the area though Gary.

Looks like some of the supermarkets are starting to drop their fuel prices, or they're using high fuel prices as a means to draw in more customers, depending on whether the glass is half full or half empty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7518516.stm

Tesco 121.9p a litre of diesel this weekend, don;t know if that's the lowest in the area though?