Soaring Petrol/Diesel Prices - are we being conned ?

Dizzy

Yes I know there is an issue with petrol/diesel prices at the moment but I can't help thinking that petrol stations are just jumping on the band waggon and ripping us off even further.

Less that two weeks ago I got diesel from the Chester Road 'Spar' petrol station and was shocked that it had rocketed to 127.8p per litre.

Today it is 130.9p per litre :shock::evil:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a chap on Radio 4 today who claimed that when he started driving 40 years ago when he took into account his wages,petrol costs and the fuel consumption, it is cheaper for him to drive now than then.

There was a chap on Radio 4 today who claimed that when he started driving 40 years ago when he took into account his wages,petrol costs and the fuel consumption, it is cheaper for him to drive now than then.

well that just goes to show how figures can be twisted to suit any cause to those who choose to twist them.

I could say the same if I was to speak about when I was 18 and on a YTS earning a mere ?27.30 a week.

facts are.

oil is payed for in $, $ have fell so oil price seems more expensive against the $, so it should be dearer for the americans.

oil pice has risen, and because the government take a % rather than a fixed rate they are creaming it in by telling us that oil prices are higher but in truth they are only marginaly higher against the ? than they were last year in real terms.

saudi still sells its petrol at 7p per litre to its consumers. 7p JESUS!

gordon brown approaches north sea oil and asks them to increase output...which accounts for something like 4% of the UKs use, so if were lucky we may get a penny off !

81.5% of evey litre is tax.

GB could knock it down to 65% bringing petrol in at around 90p per litre and he would still have more revenue than ?23.3 Billion raised in 2004 from fuel duty.

but the fat greedy B will waffle on about it being a global issue and bring up earths resources...but you know what

WHY SHOULD THE UK BE THE MARTYR to the WHOLE world, and why should UK citizencs always be the ones paying for the rest of the world.

Shelly..... very nice BUT I cant for one minute imagine one of these cars being of any use at all for a normal family.

Don't know much about them really so please tell me... could I fit 2 adults, 1 dog and between 1 and 3 kids in one and is there one which is capable of towing a family caravan? :shock:

There is increasing world demand, searching for new oil fields is becoming more expensive, OPEC are operating a cartel; and city speculators gambling on futures are driving up the price. :roll: However, having said that, the bottom line is the amount being charged by our Government in TAX - 80%. :shock: So the cure IS in the hands of Gordon Brown. :wink:

Sorry Ons, but I am very nervous at the thought of anything being in the hands of Gordon Brown :cry: As for high diesel and petrol prices... it's not going to get any better, particularly as other nations' economies start to demand a bigger slice of the finite "oil pie". The sad fact is that Britain's economy is pitiful when compared to those of India, USA, China, S. America etc. so why do we think that we have a God-given right to having first dibs on oil supplies? Britain is a small island, and the OPEC countries have much bigger fish to land than us :!:

Shelly..... very nice BUT I cant for one minute imagine one of these cars being of any use at all for a normal family.

Don't know much about them really so please tell me... could I fit 2 adults, 1 dog and between 1 and 3 kids in one and is there one which is capable of towing a family caravan? :shock:

Would be pretty tight in a G-wiz, but Berlingo Electriques sometimes come up, which would do. There are quite popular on my EVUK mailing list. They are delivery vans, but people install back seats in them to turn them into family cars. They use NiCads, so have longer ranges than G-wiz's.

My point was that there's little we can do about it, OTHER than for Brown to start reducing the tax on it. :roll::wink:

Problem is that given current spending committments, he would have to cut spending or increase taxes elsewhere to avoid an even greater deficit in the public finances.....mind you he could cut wasteful and inefficient public spending, 5% amounts to over ?25 billion...and I'm sure that could be achieved without too much pain, it just need political will. :wink:

I was sent this by a vewry nice person!!!

A lot of people can't understand how we came to have an oil shortage here in our country.

~~~

Well, there's a very simple answer.

~~~

Nobody bothered to check the oil.

~~~

We just didn't know we were getting low.

~~~

The reason for that is purely geographical.

~~~

Our OIL is located in the North Sea

~~~

Our DI PSTICKS are located in Westminster !!!

Any Questions ???

NO? I didn't think so!

Paul:With City slickers making huge bonuses; Utilities and other Corporations making record profits; MPs scamming the system for a lot more than any dole scrounger; so-called "celebs" making more money than they know what to do with - I think there's plently of scope for gathering the extra revenue; and it might address the ever growing wealth gap in this Country at the same time. :wink:

Sorry Ons, but I am very nervous at the thought of anything being in the hands of Gordon Brown

I would something to be in his hands but it would have to be a snub nosed mauser (some may recognise this!!) with one bullet and he's pointing it at that big, fat, slack-jawed head of his

and another thing..... my car runs on LPG. LPG is supposedly an environmentally friendly kind of product that emits butterflies from my exhaust as I drive along.

However the someone is screwing the LPG user for as much as they can. In 2 years, LPG has risen from about 35p a litre to almost 65p a litre which by my calculations is knocking on for a 100% increase on a fuel that is supposedly greener than most others (apart from Shelleys electric trolley but they are just daft)

So, either the government is screwing revenue from a green source and thus making a total mockery of their environmental credentials or the oil companies are screwing even more money out of us as well as doing the same for petrol and diesel users.... it would be interesting to find out who the villan is.... my bet is on a fat slack jawed scottish b*****d

Worth noting that over the last year a barrel of oil has doubled in price, the fact that the $US is weak has cushioned the effect on users a little, although the opposite effect on producers some of whom were talking of trading in other currencies, even the Euro was mentioned.

The biggest beneficiaries are of course oil producing countries, particularly the likes of Russia who have great new found wealth, and Governments such as ours who imposes high taxes on petrol and diesel as well as receiving tax from North Sea oil. Oil companies are bound to make more money in numeric terms when oil prices are high, although of course their profit margin might remain the same or possibly fall in order to maintain demand. If they rise appreciably then questions would need to be asked about profiteering.

One "benefit" of higher oil prices is that alternatives start to become economically viable, although oil producers/companies/governments might have a vested interest to stifle alternatives.

I understand speculators have made fortunes over the last few months but at a great cost to the economy, no doubt they will pay little tax on their "gambling" gains.

So, either the government is screwing revenue from a green source and thus making a total mockery of their environmental credentials or the oil companies are screwing even more money out of us as well as doing the same for petrol and diesel users.... it would be interesting to find out who the villan is.... my bet is on a fat slack jawed scottish b*****d

Governments re only interested in environmental issues when there are tax raising opportunities. :wink:

Yes, hence our green and pleasant land has gone yellow. :wink::D

PS Dismayed, be careful, modern diesels are more sensitive to the quality of fuel and my guess it would invalidate the manufacturers warranty. Somebody I know with an old diesel mixes veg oil with diesel...tells me it works OK.....and his car is still running. Problem is veg oil will rise even more rapidly in price. The brand I buy has gone up a ?1 for 3 litres in just a few months. :(

It will be interesting to see if sales of "red" diesel have been increasing. :wink:

80% tax is wrong folks. There hasn't been a tax rise on fuel since October, all the increases lately have been from the petrol companies due to the cost of a barrel of oil soaring up to $130.

Tax is now around 50% of the cost of filling your car. Remember it's not a % tax, the fuel duty is a fixed amount

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html