Memory songs ?

tonymaillman

Tunes that bring back memories for you every time you hear them ? either recent or from donkeys' years ago, usually from when the tracks were first released.

Just a few that bring back memories for me are -

Run to the hills - Iron Maiden

Wheels of steel - Saxon

Feel like makin' love - Bad Company

Highway to Hell - AC/DC

Crazy Train - Ozzy

More than a feelin' - Boston

Rebel Rebel - David Bowie

Dream On - Aerosmith

Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison

Patience - Guns N' Roses

Feel Like Making Love - Bad Company

Here Without You - Three Doors Down

Those are just a few there are many more that bring back memories when I hear them.

In the year 2525

If man is still alive

If woman can survive

They may find

In the year 3535

Ain't gonna need to tell the truth

Tell no lies

Everything you think, do and say

Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545

Ain't gonna need your teeth

Won't need your eyes

You won't find a thing to chew

Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555

Your arms are hanging limp at your side

You legs got nothing to do

Some machine's doing that for you

In the year 6565

Ain't gonna need no husband

Won't need no wife

You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too

From the bottom of a long glass tube

Whoa-oh-oh

In the year 7510

If God's a-coming

He ought to make it by then

Maybe he'll look around himself and say

Guess it's time for the Judgement Day

In the year 8510

God is gonna shake his mighty head

He'll either say, I'm pleased where man has been

Or tear it down and start again

Whoa-oh-oh

In the year 9595

I'm kinda wondering

If man is gonna be alive

He's taken everything this old Earth can give

And he ain't put back nothing

Whoa-oh-oh

Now it's been ten thousand years

Man has cried a billion tears

For what he never knew

Now man's reign is through

But through eternal night

The twinkling of starlight

So very far away

Maybe it's only yesterday

In the year 2525,

If man is still alive

If woman can survive

They may find

In the year 3535

Ain't gonna need to tell the truth

Ditto. But I wonder about use of the word 'classic'. A rock radio station in So. Calif. the PREMIER rock station has an annual One Hundred Greatest Rock Hits of all time -- and for many, many years there isn't one Elvis, Bill Haley, or Paul Anka tune among the top 100. Kids are sooooooo fickle. If it was written more than 10 months ago, don't bother me with it.

My grandson went to a jukebox site in YouTube and asked me what he could play for me: I said, "Je T'Aime Non Plus, Serge Gainsborg, then Tom Jones Delilah, Pink Floyd's Brick in the Wall, and then he left. The machine was still on so I chose It Was a Very Good Year, but the William Shatner version came on from when he was a young Canadian actor just starting out in Star Trek. You've got to see and/or hear it. Hearing wouldn't do it justice. He acts it out! Amazing performance.

Hello everyone - I return after a lengthy absence to discover a new-style forum which I have taken some time to get used to.

Despite most of the memorable tunes listed being drivel, wouldn't it be a good idea if we said WHY they are memorable.

My own would be:

Baubles Bangles and Beads by the Gerry Mulligan Quartet in concert at the old Free Trade Hall in Manchester because it was, quite simply, a beautiful renditon of a rather ordinary song played without any amplification.

OR

Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue by the Duke Ellington Orchestra again in Manchester with Paul Gonsalves on tenor sax, because it was shortly after his famous version of the same piece at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival when he played 27 choruses because Duke couldn't bring himself to stop him he was playing so well.

Probably no-one on here has ever heard of either piece, but at least I have said WHY I remember them.

Ditto. But I wonder about use of the word 'classic'. A rock radio station in So. Calif. the PREMIER rock station has an annual One Hundred Greatest Rock Hits of all time -- and for many, many years there isn't one Elvis, Bill Haley, or Paul Anka tune among the top 100. Kids are sooooooo fickle. If it was written more than 10 months ago, don't bother me with it.

You can discover Classic Rock by tuning into Radio Warrington on Friday and saturday evenings 10pm-Midnight GMT +1 time :roll::wink:

Adam, I remember Gerry Mulligan and I now live a couple of stone's throw away from his long time venue The Lighthouse in Manhattan Beach (California south of Los Angeles).

Your suggestion of putting those memories in context is exactly what was needed on this thread, but too late.

I've also been hiatus, for more than a year, and came back a month ago.

As Newton Minow said about USA broadcasting back in JFK's administration, "I see a vast wasteland."

Re: Duke Ellington -- I recently saw a film that featured his TAKE THE A TRAIN and then saw a 'net blog blasting that particular film -- saying it was about a commuter train in NYC that led to Harlem, -- while in the film it was used to promote cross country travel to Chicago. There are still harsh critics among us with sharp memories.

I heard Duke Ellington and his orchestra, also Count Basie at another time, sponsored by the USO back in my USMC youth.

Adam - the reasons WHY some tunes may be memorable and bring back memories is an option for those posting really .............. it all depends how personal those memories may be, and also if they rekindle good or bad times.

If people wish to state WHY they bring back memories then fine, if not then fine also :wink:

fairly recent one "Wishing on a star" by Rose Royce

Took me a long time before i could listen to it all the way through again..some song just make memorys come back..

Steve

I'm wishing on a star

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a dream

To follow what it means

I'm wishing on a star

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a dream

To follow what it means

And I wish on all the rainbows that I see

I wish on all the people who really dream

And I'm wishing on tomorrow, praying it'll comes

And I'm wishing on all the lovin' we've ever done

I never thought I'd see

A time when you would be

So far away from home

So far away from me

Just think of all the moments that we'd spent

I just can't let you go, for me you were meant

And I didn't mean to hurt you, but I know

That in the game of love you reap what you sow

I feel it's time we should make up, baby

I feel it's time for us to get back together

And make the best of things, oh, baby

When we're together, whether or never

I feel it's time we should make up, baby

I feel it's time for us to get back together

And make the best of things, oh, baby

When we're together, whether or never

I'm wishing on a star

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a dream

To follow what it means

I wish on all the people we've ever been

And I'm hopin' on all the days to come and days to go

And I'm hopin' on days of lovin' you so

I'm wishing on a star

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a star

Oh;oh;oh;

I'm wishing on a star

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a star

I'm wishing on a star

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a star

oh, oh, ah, ah

I'm wishing on a star, oh,oh

To follow where you are

I'm wishing on a star, baby

To follow wherever you might be

Wishing in a star, oh, oh

To follow where you are, oh, oh, ah, ah

I have so many memory songs it would be ridiculous to post them all here. I can't listen to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue without longing for my dad (who used to play it on piano) or Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor without weeping for my mum for the same reason but there are so many more.

One that always produces instant tears I will tell you in a moment. First, go back to 1961. I'm engaged to a young airman and my fiance and I have had a stupid row (I can't remember what it was about) and I've broken off our engagement. One night the phone rings and I answer it. On the other end I hear Elvis Presley singing "Don't". Well, that did it for me. Seven months later - I married my airman who had held the phone next to the rescord-player.

I've got that track on a CD (I love Elvis) and every time I play it I dissolve in tears because my airman died 12 years ago.

Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners - awesome!

Enola Gay by OMD - awesome,

Tainted Love, Soft Cell - awesome!

and this is the rock god speaking!!! :shock:

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep - awesome

Knocking on Heaven's Door - Guns and Roses - awesome

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC - Awesome

Variety in music - refreshing! 8)

Jerry

You live a stone's throw from The Lighthouse? My God - what a privilege!

Is it still a jazz venue or has it descended into the nether regions like most of the rest of popular music?

Kate

Thank you for sharing that moving memory. I was not expecting such personal reasons for remembering a tune, but thank you all the same

Gary - don't be embarrassed :lol: one of the tunes that takes me back to a particular year is - No G.D.M by Gina X ............ :oops:

Few others -

Model - Kraftwerk

All Night Long - Scorpions

Steamrock fever - Scorpions ......... both versions live as music should be.

and

Tigerfeet by Mud :lol::lol::lol:

As regards O.M.D the one tune that sticks with me of theirs is called Messages ........... :wink: good days that are now a long time ago :(

I have so many memory songs it would be ridiculous to post them all here. I can't listen to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue without longing for my dad (who used to play it on piano) or Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor without weeping for my mum for the same reason but there are so many more.

One that always produces instant tears I will tell you in a moment. First, go back to 1961. I'm engaged to a young airman and my fiance and I have had a stupid row (I can't remember what it was about) and I've broken off our engagement. One night the phone rings and I answer it. On the other end I hear Elvis Presley singing "Don't". Well, that did it for me. Seven months later - I married my airman who had held the phone next to the rescord-player.

I've got that track on a CD (I love Elvis) and every time I play it I dissolve in tears because my airman died 12 years ago.

Kate you will now see your avatar - I resized it for you! :wink:

Adam, Yes the Lighthouse is still there and kicking. But I remembered wrong -- it's in Hermosa Beach -- that area is all contiguous and I never know who has the government franchise in any particular spot. I was first there in 1956, but haven't gone for decades now.