Dogs, Dog Owners and Leads

Agamemnon1

Whilst fishing on the beautifull stretch of the canal near Bewsey Old HallI have discovered a new species of dog owner !

They are the ones with no sight or are at least blind to the behaviour of their dogs.

Incident number one. Fishing tackle and chair urinated on by unleashed dog ! not very nice :cry: Despite my comments to the owner no response,

Incident number two . Bait eaten by unleashed Stafforshire Bull Terrier with jaws like a mantrap. :cry: Once again despite my comments to the owner , no response . This leads me to think they are blind to their dogs behaviour.

The next time i will take action against the owners ! I do hope they can swim !!!

Agamemnon1.....

Sounds to me like the dogs were just doing what dogs do... ie peeing and eating :lol:

[bWere you using dog food as bait[/b]... some pople do and it's good for carp I believe :wink:

PS..... I hope you are not one of the very annoying type of fisherman who uses fishing 'poles' etc though .....

Last year I got completely fed up, on what should have been pleasant evening walks along the Bridgewater canal with family and my pup, to have to literally climb over fishing poles strategically balanced on bushes and stands as well as having to squeeze past fishermen's huge piles of tackle :shock: ... not to mention squeezing past HUGE GREEN BROLLIES :roll:

Hi Dis,

You are correct, Dogs do what dogs do , I have no complaint against the animals Its the inconsiderate owners i have a beef about.

I have not read the latest Warrington Guardian yet but i have been told that there was an incident with a unleashed dog and the swans on that stretch of the canal recently ?

And no, I dont use dog food for bait :D I was using bread.

And no , I dont use a pole. You are correct they are a menace on a narrow canal bank. :wink:

I cant understand why they use poles ( the carbon type , not the immigrant type, I have edited this before Obs jumps with another poor Pole joke :lol: ) to fish a foot off the opposite bank ! when all they have to do is walk around and and drop their line in :?

Steve,

Your right , I didnt mean to have a go at all dog owners, I meant just the inconsidrate ones who let the animals run loose causing problems . The vast majority of dog owners are great folk with lovely dogs that are a credit to them

Hi Dis,

You are correct, Dogs do what dogs do , I have no complaint against the animals Its the inconsiderate owners i have a beef about.

I have not read the latest Warrington Guardian yet but i have been told that there was an incident with a unleashed dog and the swans on that stretch of the canal recently ?

Hiya Ags :D

Glad to hear that you are not one of the 'annoying' fishermen I mentioned :wink:

As for the Guardian report. The incident was reported on the news on here first but the Guardian have printed the very graphic and disturbing photos of the actual dogs and the dog owner trying in vain to stop his 2 vicious dogs killing a poor swan in Sankey.

The photos were awful and very upsetting but I personally think that the one on the front page of the WG should be distributed and splashed across the WHOLE of Warrington so the dog owner is found and prosecuted for what happened.

The report says he walked past once and his unleashed and uncontrolable pit bull?/staffy? dogs attacked the swan (but it managed to free itself) THEN HALF AN HOUR LATER HE WALKED PAST THE SWAN AGAIN WITH HIS TWO DOGS UNLEASHED... WHY???..... AND THIS TIME HIS DOGS SAVAGELY KILLED IT !!!!

The photo showed him desperately?? trying to free the swan from his dogs jaws and another showed him kneeling on the floor in apparently upset by the whole incident.

The bloke needs naming, shaming and locking up and the two uncontrolable and savage dogs put to sleep (sorry :cry:)

I went to Arley Hall today with my family and there were hundreds of dogs there. I never saw one single bit of dog dirt the whole day. There were working dogs displays and dog obedience shows too. This showed me just how well dogs can and do behave if they are given the right love, care and training. Now I must be honest and admit that I do not really like dogs much but if they were all as well behaved and controlled as the ones I saw today I think I would have a different view of them. On the other hand it does seem to prove that aggresive and violent dogs are the result of negligence, poor training or deliberate manipulation to make them into nasty animals, all of which lay the blame firmly at the door of the owner. Any person who owns a dog which commits a violent attack should automatically lose the right to own a dog for life.

I had dogs all my life until 2 years ago. My last one lived to be 16 and I could take her anywhere, without a lead, safe in the knowledge that she would come to heel when told, sit the minute she was commanded (no matter what the occasion) and generally behave properly. The reason she was so good, apart from her native intelligence, was that I had taken the trouble to train her when she was very young (as I had with every dog I'd had). We had both enjoyed the training, she especially as "doing it right" always got her some doggy chocolates and a lot of fuss, and it made life much easier for both of us.

Dogs are only as good as their owners. If the owner is vicious - or just plain inadequate - the dog will be too. Anyone who has a dog that proves difficult to train (or who is clueless how to do it) should keep the animal on a lead at all times.

It couldn't happen but wouldn't it be great if people had to pass a dog-owner test, like a driving test, before they were allowed to keep one?

Now you see I can't understand why ALL dogs shouldn't be made to wear a muzzle when in public. It would certainly stop these dogs that "wouldn't hurt a fly" from killing kids and the likes of the one that has killed the swan....

I still don't get the whole dog thing at all. I have a sister who has a bloody big alsation which on the rare occasiobn she comes up to see us, has to be let into my house and drooling all over my floors.... A good injection is what the damn thing needs!