Cheap Clothes?

observer

Ever thought how your cheap clothes, are kept so cheap? :? A group from the fashion industry visited India, to follow the source of their sartorial wealth. :roll: The cotton was being picked by an army of workers on ?1 per day. :shock: The back street sweat shops were employing children, for up to 18 hours a day, where they slept on a shop floor shared with rats, with an open sewer running outside. :shock: Although the retail associations claim their dresses/shirts etc are "ethically" sourced, there is no clear statutory labelling on clothes to provide this assurance. :roll: Such is the nature of capitalism, it will provide "cheap" goods, at the expense of the exploitation of labour; hence the demise of the cotton industry in Lancashire. :wink:

This is nothing new and lets be honest its always a question of supply and demand and we all live in a throw away society not like the old days where you bought good quality clothing adn they lasted for a long long time,nowdays if you get 5 washes out of them then you have had your moneys worth..

Steve

while moralisticaly we would not as consumers wish to exploit third world labour, I am afraid in the economic climate the cheap clothes is offset against high cost of everything else.

I now have little choice than to buy ?3 shirts from asda as times are hard here now and they are getting worse.

I don't mind admitting, I am begining to struggle constantly now, my outgoings exceed my income as a result of not being frugal when times were better, maybe my fault but I dont think anyone could forsee this disater of costs.

Everyday we all wake up to a new tax or law to make joe public fined for doing something completely reasonable wrong from this scumbag government and other encumbant authorities....things are about to go very very wrong here and as the old addage goes.."Charity begins at home", and I cannot afford to think about others right now.

• 1 month later...

While I struggle, so do they, when I can rest my oars so shall they.

on a global scale, those that are currently resting their oars at the moment are not comming to my aid or the aid of many people who are begining to feel the effects of low anual pay raises for the last five years or so when compared to inflation (effectivly a pay cut).

at what point do we become the exploited.

I'm subcontracted to the company I work in at a rate of ?600 a day, more than I earn in a week by quite a way, I accept this exploitation, as do those in the sweatshops, as without it I and they would maybe not have any income at all, if they can better their conditions then they will by their own volition, as will I.

if they were to sanction these cheap items, these people (who if they realy want to can walk away in most cases) will loose their one revenue stream that is keeping them from starvation or greater poverty. and I as a consumer will also suffer as my steps towards poverty will increase in the fact that my ability to afford basic essentials such as clothing will reduce.

I'd love to be able help them out, but not at the moment.

Legion,

If that is the case and you get charged out at ?600.00 a day I have an ideal solution.

Come and work for my company and I will pay you ?140 a day plus a few perks as long as you can bring your current contract with you. I'll charge you at say ?580.00

That way, my company gets the ?580 a day and you get a nice pay rise and the end user saves a few quid a week too.... everyones a winner!!

God I love capitalism!!

Legion,

If that is the case and you get charged out at ?600.00 a day I have an ideal solution.

Come and work for my company and I will pay you ?140 a day plus a few perks as long as you can bring your current contract with you. I'll charge you at say ?580.00

That way, my company gets the ?580 a day and you get a nice pay rise and the end user saves a few quid a week too.... everyones a winner!!

God I love capitalism!!

Happily...but the way capitalism works is a much bigger picture, you see the chap who pays the ?600 a day for me(chap A) to the chap who exploits my skills(chap B), go and play golf together and Chap A agrees to pay ?600 a day does so because Chap B pays him a backhander and the ?600 does not come out of Chap A's own pocket, but Company A's so he has no quarms about spending other peoples money because the more he justifys spent, the more he recieves himself...such is capitalism !

Personally I would much rather have fewer clothes of better and less quesionable quality than wear the sweat shop stained cheapo varieties sold on much of the high street. However attractive an outfit may appear, the way it has been produced makes it deeply ugly.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what these children would be doing for jobs if they did not do this, television tells us that they are sold for prostitution or fates worse than that by their parents because they cannot afford to feed them. Maybe many of these children would die of poverty because they would beg on the streets for food.

Am i being nieve.

Can someone tell me what these children would be doing for jobs if they did not do this, television tells us that they are sold for prostitution or fates worse than that by their parents because they cannot afford to feed them. Maybe many of these children would die of poverty because they would beg on the streets for food.

Am i being nieve.

Doesn't exploitation happen everywhere, even in this country (minimum wage etc.)?

I don't say that it is ok, but do they know any different?

We in the West live a different life style and do have a choice of taking a poorly paid job, or living off the State. These children don't have any choice.

Peter,

how on earth can you call the minimum wage exploitation? Not everyone can earn ?30,000.00 a yearyou know.

Some people probably don't even deserve minimum wage especially based on some of the ones We've employed over the years

Peter,

how on earth can you call the minimum wage exploitation? Not everyone can earn ?30,000.00 a yearyou know.

Some people probably don't even deserve minimum wage especially based on some of the ones We've employed over the years

Exploitation?

Easy.

As an employer, you set your stall out, as to what "you" think the company can afford to pay.

A lot of companies don't follow that rule. They tend to pay what they can get away with regardless of the fact that they are making mega bucks profit. (ie Supermarkets)

Industry are also getting away with paying the minimum wage because they take on temporary workers, who are told take it or leave it.

And yes, some don't even deserve the minimum wage. But that is a separate problem and either means they should be sent back for attitude training or not taken on in the first place.

Just a question. Could you live on a minimum wage?

Peter,

you obviously have never employed anyone. I can only pay what my customers decide to pay me

What you need to realise is that when you employ someone, you don't just pay out the minimum wage and that is it.

There is employers tax

Employers NI

Then in our case there vehicle HP or lease costs

Insurance (vehicle)

Insurance (liability)

Vehicle equipment (rack, sat nav etc.)

Diesel (about ?90.00) per van to fill it up and lasts about 3 days

Uniform and overalls

Mobile phone rental and call costs

Laptop (not all employees but some do)

On site Tools - drills etc

so your man on minimum wage costs me and my company 3 times that to employ EVERY month. So when you take into account that most of my customers want to pay on a minimum of 30 - 40 day terms (some take 60 - 90 days to pay) I pay my staff wages on the 25th of the month.... every month. The taxman wants his cut every 19th of the month without fail and the VAT man wants his cut every 3 months regardless. If you don't pay on time they charge you interest and threaten to send the bailiffs in to take away your equipment so you wont trade anymore.

The businesses like mine in the south of England are employing more and more Polish and Eastern European labour on minimum wages and the lads who are the trained engineers are losing out because they can't compete

And no; of course I couldn't live on the minimum wage and after 10 years in business and 10 years of employing local lads from the so called deprived areas of the town I don't think I should have too.

Most of the lads who I employ and have employed in the past (and I will state right now that I have never employed anyone on just the minimum wage for more than a month) don't have a ?1,000.00+ a month mortgage 5 cars and a family to feed either.

So please don't bleat on to me about the expolited employees Peter. It doesnt wash in the real world of business.

Ok so his point about exploitation sort of applies -

Hear me out before you grumble please.

Company A goes to poor nations and gives jobs cheap (because of their costs)- they make and deliver clothes to stores. Stores buy these clothes - mark up the price to cover costs of their employees. People buy the cheap clothes because that is what they can afford. It becomes a catch -22 situation.

We are all guilty. Until we come to a system where money is not an issue - we will always have exploitation.

:cry: