Broadband Warrington

Should warrington council be working with Telco providers o make warrington a broadband town.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should warrington council be working with Telco providers o make warrington a broadband town.

• YES
    • NO
    • Dont Care

Should Warrington council be working with Telco providers to make Warrington a broadband town.

Manchester and Milton Keynes are now wi MAX

Bournemouth is just going fiber via the Sewer. and other towns are looking to wifi

what is Warrington doing.

Do we need this to encourage business to move into town.

bournmouth example

Why should it be down to WBC? :? Surely we should be looking for one co-ordinated system (fibre optics to every household), provided nationally (as in France) - trouble is, no one seems to want to spend the ?25million to bring it about, hence the current piecemeal approach. :roll::wink:

first thing ?25 million would just about do Warrington not the UK, the problem is we sold of the post office years ago but lets not start that debate

As to France well they don't have fiber to the house they have big bus shelter like things, that serve 800 houses via copper. But the shelters are fed by fiber,, just like cable TV.

this is not about WBC spending money this is about partnerships. and forward planning from the council.

I recall (I think it was NTL?) digging up the pavements to provide cabling to households, presumably for TV, but I believe phones too? :? That system is presumably still there and could be utilised? :? Maybe you watch a different News prog; but the French are reeling out fibre-optic cabling using existing sewer ducting etc to provide a NATIONAL scheme. :roll: You may be right about the ?25million, perhaps it's ?25billion, perhaps that's why there are no takers at the moment?! :roll::wink:

I recall (I think it was NTL?) digging up the pavements to provide cabling to households, presumably for TV, but I believe phones too? :? That system is presumably still there and could be utilised? :? Maybe you watch a different News prog; but the French are reeling out fibre-optic cabling using existing sewer ducting etc to provide a NATIONAL scheme. :roll: You may be right about the ?25million, perhaps it's ?25billion, perhaps that's why there are no takers at the moment?! :roll::wink:

NTL did indeed start to dig up the streets and put cable in place but then ran out of money leaving half of the country unserviced.

With so many people now on satellite nobody is prepared to invest in digging up the streets.

The crazy situation is now if you get heavy ran or electrical storms (which we are going to get a lot more of with changing weather patterns) you lose your picture!

Bring back analogue! :oops::roll:

I think it was originaly nynex who started the digging, being taken over by cable & wireless, then NTL & now Virgin lease the lines from cable & wireless.

Either way we never got any service to dalam, our only method of BB is through ADSL and because of the distance from the exchange were lucky to get over 2meg connectivity, which is fince for now, but give it a year or two, and we will be worse than 3rd world.

soon all media will be streamed and licenced, we as a nation need to provide this service.

"I intend to serve a third full term" I believe was another one!!

I am in Westbrook and we don't have cable either and neither do all the new estates I don't think. Westbrook is about 6Km from the exchange in town and part of the network runs on aluminium cables rather than copper (so says my neighbour!!)

My mums house can get cable in Bewsey but she is 85 and just about mastered the TV!

Lets try to sort this out

Cable TV is fibre to your house in fact it is a bit of co-ax like you have from your Arial

West brook I think has it's own exchange.

The point I think we need to agree is that WBC should try to get telco's to work in the town not just exploit the work force

this is not about WBC shelling out just being positive to the new world

Asp,

There is a section of Callands which wasn't done; It is the section from where Wrexham Close ends and North Park Brook Road starts and takes in a few closes down the way. The bit of NPB Road which goes into Hayscastle Close etc. Has been done.

My mate had Fibre bband when he lived in Hayscastle but when he literally moved 20 yards round the corner; his new house wasn't cabled!!

Westbrook (as in the bit around by the Cinema up to the seven woods etc. has not been cabled and is fed from the town centre exchange. The exchange near the thatched cottage does not feed Westbrook, it only does the estates over that side towards the High School....