Street signage?

observer

Small extract from yesterday's BBC News

------------------------------

A spokesman for the agency said: "The signs were put up as an experiment in the early 1990s but research has shown that they have not had a noticeable effect on accident figures."

-------------------------------

Full report http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7412028.stm

Bill :)

the signs were erected by the cheshire road safety pertnership ie cheshire police the ones who send out mobile speed cameras to charge errant motorists who exceed the 30 mph limit never mind where the accidents are -- on dual carriageways and motorways. and you cannot use the excuse that it was an oversight like our political incumbents do!!!d

• 3 years later...

That sign on Manchester Road has been there for at least four years to my knowledge, so what does it mean? Which three years have been chosen as "representative" of the accidents? Could they have chosen 1945-48 instead? I'm sure the fugures would have been rather lower then.

I've Googled Red Routes, and it seems there are at least three different meanings in different parts of the country. In other words people seem to like the term, for some reason, but having decided they like it, they can't decide what it's going to refer to.

In one part of the country a Red Route is a clearway (no stopping). Elsewhere it's a route that has somehow (no proper explanation was given) been made faster and less congested because of some kind of integrated traffic scheme. And in yet other areas it's a high risk accident area.

From context I'd guess it has the third meaning in Warrington. But what are we supposed to do when people make up these terms and then can't agree on what they're going to mean?