Street signage?

observer

They put some up on Lovely Lane recently saying something about it being an accident blackspot or something like that. My guess is drivers are more likely to take their eyes off the road to read the sign then crash into the car which has stopped in front of them....

Typical council waste of money. Come on Paul, put a stop to all this waste!!

I am simply amazed by all of these signs springing up, in many cases they are stating the blindingly obvious....and indeed might well be a distraction to motorists....mind you I might not be saying the same if I were still a Divisional Managing Director of what was South Wales Electricity PLC, one of the businesses I ran supplied and installed such signage.....and I know how much they cost and the profit margin :wink:

Doesn't the money to pay from them come from WBC's share of speed camera fines/tax :?

What I don't understand is why the signs are all covered up? The ones along Kingsway have been there for about three weeks now and are still have the wrappers on?

Is there going to be a grand unveiling ceremony? or perhaps the accident figures are wrong and we need more accidents before the covers come off. :lol:

Bill :)

The unveiling ceremony can also take in the traffic lights at the LA Bowl junction. Thats nearly 6 months since they were finished!! I guess they will get switched on now that the election is over..... or am I being cynical? :o

Caught sight of the writing on one of these signs = [3 casualties in 3 years]. :? What's that supposed to mean - tells you nothing in terms of reasons ie: jay walking pedestrians; cyclists; speeding motorists etc. :roll: Absolute inane waste of money - whoever's idea this was - should be sacked asap. :twisted:

what are these beurocrats thinking.

I have not seen any of these signs yet, but I'll look out now.

I suppose they can go back and say how much they have "invested" in warrington traffic management and how we motorist will feel the benefit.

:roll:

Just noticed another of these inane signs [collision route]; now what does that mean? :? Don't use the route, because you might collide with something? :? What does one expect to collide with - pedestrians, cyclists or other cars? :roll: Total waste of space and money! :twisted:

I've just been for fish and chips at the Dam Lane shops in Woolston and the butcher's shop next to the chippy looked like it had been ram raided.

Turns out that some elderly lady somehow got it all wrong at 11:30 this morning and managed to drive through the shop window demolishing all the brickwork and glass.

I wonder if this will be included as a collision statistic somewhere. :roll:

I saw one on Mancherster Road, Woolston. It was huge and very permenant looking. It said 34 casualties in 3 years.

Must admit the high figure did suprise me.

WHY though couldn't have just fastened the signs (if they are needed) to roadside lamp posts as surely that would have looked better and would have been a lot cheaper :roll:

Don't really see how these will help.

Those who drive dangerously have no respect for the law or other road users.

Those who do care, are more likely to have an accident reading the signs.

Is there not a better way of spending money?

We ask for pedestrian crossings on Knutsford road to make it safe for an ageing community to cross the road, but they can't afford to do. :x:x:x

Don't really see how these will help.

Those who drive dangerously have no respect for the law or other road users.

Those who do care, are more likely to have an accident reading the signs.

Is there not a better way of spending money?

We ask for pedestrian crossings on Knutsford road to make it safe for an ageing community to cross the road, but they can't afford to do. :x:x:x

Ask the councillors why they can't afford your lights Peter.... probably because they have spent all the bloody money trying to sort out the Westbrook traffic lights fiasco. How the hell the same councillors got back in this ward is bloody beyond me...... chocolate and fireguards spring to mind

A lot of people might say it?s cynical to criticise those who?s job it is to try and make the roads safer but reading through their reasoning for the signs just doesn?t make any sense whatsoever.

Stuff like always wear your seat belt and don?t use your mobile is general advice that apples to all roads. So, strip away the bleeding obvious from their bulleted key points and your left with.

1 Think

2 Play your part

3 Support Red Routes

Now there?s three excellent reasons that truly justifies spending our money. :roll:

No wonder the bloody trough snufflers don't come knocking on doors at election time anymore......

The scared bunch of tossers we have round here weren't even outside the polling station so I couldn't even give the prats a verbal lashing then either..

It is little wonder that they all aspire to be councillors if some of them can get "allowances" of ?30,000.00 a year just for being on a few comittees

Aside from the fact, that there is an epidemic of pot holes on our roads; roads don't cause accidents, drivers do. :roll: Perhaps the money could be better spent on re-surfacing our road system and improving through education the standard of driving? :wink:

the one at the pelican crossing near the hospital is an accident waiting to happen in its own right.

59 casualties in 3 years... be plenty more there with people being knocked over by drivers reading the sign as they cross the pelican.

Absolutely priceless...

My 15 year old was highly critical of the location of the sign as well.

Any more in the wrong place ??