End of season failure

asperity

I’ve never been one to call for someone to lose their job, but for me, with the playing roster we have at our disposal, we have totally underperformed this year.  When big games come along, like Salford in the Cup semis and last night, we just don’t perform.  I’ve no idea why that is, but for me something must be wrong somewhere. 

I’ve thought for a while now that the team play as a bunch of individuals rather than as a cohesive unit, and Widdop and Austin just haven’t gelled.

I think the time is right for a new coaching regime to be brought in, and we need to do it quickly to allow the new boys time to prepare for pre-season. 

When you look at Salford and what Watson has done for them, they are playing to a higher standard than the sum of their parts. I know they’ve struggled in the league this year, but some of that’s got to do with the truncated season and their thread bare playing squad.

I’d love to see him given a chance to coach us and see the team realise their potential before it’s too late for some of the players.

Now is the time for the management to be bold and decisive to give us hope for a better season next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Latchford Locks said:

I fear we may have missed the boat with Watson a very bad mistake.

I also fear we may be too late but no announcements have been made yet, and IF he's signed for Huddersfield as suggested, you'd assume they'd announce it straight away as it might help with any off season signings.

We can alwas live in hope........

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Wirewire said:

I'd rate McDermott as an improvement on what we've currently got Latch.     

He would probably shake up some of the players who are used to an easy going coach.

I couldn't see them daring to pour a bucket of water over him like they did to Price at Wembley... He would flatten them :-)

It is amazing how one bad season can turn the fans against a coach.

When he first took over form tony smith he was the bees knees and select parts of other animals, better than sliced bread.

Now he is the worst thing since typhoid mary.

Considering that most of the season has been played during the pandemic with fixtures often changing the night before the match then overall he has not done bad. He has managed too to field a team even if at times it has been made up of the younger players coming through the ranks,unlike other teams.

At least he seems passionate about the way the team plays unlike the guy before who tended to look like a camel eating his lunch for the third time round whether the team played well or not.

I suppose we have to ask if Price told the lads to try & play champagne rugby in the mud bath semi final or if the team took that upon themselves. That game was set up for Plan B rugby but do we have the personnel for up the middle stuff ?

We have said many times that it is alarming how teams can make so much ground against our defence & leave us turning the ball over in the wrong part of the pitch. I thought Danny Houghton joining the fray was when Kilroy wrote on our wall.& everything started to happen for Hull from that point.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, asperity said:

He's got my backing. I'm not one for knee-jerk reactions.

For me it's not a knee-jerk reaction.

He just can't get the team playing as a cohesive unit and that has been the story now for a couple of seasons.  Yes, we've had success with him, I don't dispute that, but with the resources available and our start studded playing roster we MUST be challenging far closer to the Grand Final rather than being knocked out on home turf against very average teams, who were then humbled in the following game.

On our day we can beat any team, and have shown that on occasion, but not on a consistent basis and that's why I feel a new coaching set up might finally be able to unravel the conundrum that is Warrington Wolves.......

• Upvote 1

I may be way off the mark here ,but i firmly believe that the way to win trophies in Rugby League   is to have the ability to play the ref. We see repeatedly ,especially in the end of season play offs, where many rules are allowed to be stretched to the nth degree ,otherwise there would be too many stoppages in games, & it seems to be the best exponents of bending the rules who win.

Instead of watching videos of other teams ,watch videos of the match ref & pick up on his likes & dislikes.