Good idea or Ripoff!

Bill

While my local supermarket is being reorganised, I’ve had the chance to try out all the others. Shopping during lockdown is probably the high point of the week but there’s not much to get excited or upset about. Well that’s I thought until I tried Tesco.

Someone there has come up with the bright idea of offering discount prices for those who have a Tesco Club Card. All well and good if you’re a regular Tesco shopper but for me, it was enough for me to say I’ll never bother with this store again.

This wasn’t the usual buy one and get one free that would apply to all shoppers but a blatant price doubling for none regulars.  Pack of apples for a pound, no problem that’s what I’d expect at other stores, but Tesco want me to pay 50% more because I don’t have their card. If this was only the case on the odd item it might not have been too bad but so many key items that I wanted were marked up this way.

Needless to say I didn’t buy the apples or anything else for that matter so it’s their loss.

Bill 😊

I wise move Sid. 

It was Asda today which wasn't bad but there wasn't much tapping of the pocket going on when we left.

I don't think we bought anything extra but the price seemed quite high compared to what we'd normally spend, and there was no boozey stuff this week.

Bill :)

Since retirement I've had lots of chance to try different supermarkets and all have pros and cons but pricewise I guess Lidl are cheapest but lack of choice would put off some. I mix and match depending on what kind of shop I'm doing.Also it doesn't sell branded spirits generally.And I enjoy my drop of Bells in an evening ;-)

I saw a video on Youtube the other day about this Tesco card. The opinion was that if you had a card you could buy stuff in Tesco at the same price as in Asda, without it you pay extra. Think I'll stick with Asda for most things and only use Tesco extra at the top of the road for the odd emergency shop.

Don't really drink these days. for some reason any high alcohol drink gives me immediate violent hiccups. Annoying as i have three bottles of the grouse whisky, normal,dark and black, sitting on a shelf plus a miniature bottle of glenlivet single malt as well.

can't enjoy them because of the hiccups.....they are all very moreish as well,especially the dark grouse.

mind you it does mean that the last a lot longer as i only tend to have a tot of each around christmas and new year.

One thing i do have is some granite "ice" cubes. place in freezer for ten minutes and then add to whisky, cools it down without watering it down.

Scotch whiskey in a two litre bottle, that's some serious hangovers :) 

Most of our whisky comes in bottles about a third the size of that but even so we'd still be paying about 15/16 pounds just for the cheaper stuff.

Maybe they lower the prices over there because you lot are so poor :)

Bill :)

Or maybe it is the bulk buy discount.

The more you can buy the cheaper the price becomes.

Buy one pint of whisky and it will cost about £15.00 per pint.

Buy a few hundred gallons of the stuff and the price will be about £10.00 per pint. (well maybe not that cheap but cheaper than by the pint.)

31 minutes ago, Evil Sid said:

Or maybe it is the bulk buy discount.

The more you can buy the cheaper the price becomes.

Buy one pint of whisky and it will cost about £15.00 per pint.

Buy a few hundred gallons of the stuff and the price will be about £10.00 per pint. (well maybe not that cheap but cheaper than by the pint.)

I'm emigrating 😄