What's more important to the people of Warrington?

Gary

What is more important to the people of Warrington  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is more important to the people of Warrington

• Local elections
    • Interview with Paul Cullen
    • None of the above

A very good question. Well firstly go and get all your friends to join in!

Even though this site has many members it is still only the same 40-50 people who make a regular contribution.

It has been that way for many years.

For every 100 who join only one or two enter into regular dialogue.

I am certain we have lost a few by switching forums recently but when they are ready they will probably re-register or ask me for their old log in details.

Some people don't post for a year or more and then suddenly resurface.

I think some people are just too shy to join in or fear their details will be blitzed around the world if they sign up.

What I do know is that people in high places who can make a difference in our daily lives read this forum on a regular basis.

I think you have made several good points Gary, and as the 'expert webmaster' you are I'm sure you have considered the following points, but as I'm a new (ish) poster please bear with me:

1)Security of identity is a huge issue. Most people, myself included, prefer to use first names only or a nickname on public sites. I consider this to be entirely sensible but I have 'suffered' some unpleasantness with one or two key people accusing me of lying about who I am. This could, I'm sure, stop some people from posting. Suggestion: Make it very clear on the registration page that posters using nicknames are welcome and that such practice is common.

2)Is the discussion forum advertised anywhere? In the sister mag?

3)Could you investigate making reciprocal links with other discussion sites?

4) I can't recall if the registration page displays a basic code of conduct for posters, but we can all fall into the trap of whizzing off a comment on a discussion forum that we would probably never make to someone face to face. I do know that the risk of being verbally abused is very offputting to a lot of people, so your moderating role is very important.

5) Finally, the forums (fora) I visit seem to exist simply to abuse the borough and parish councils. Perhaps you could occasionally gather up any (printable and constructive!) suggestions from posters and email them to someone on the council!

Cheers

Chrissy,

1. Anonimity is obviously available but some like myself posts under real names.

2.Not important

3.Why?

4. Stating the obvious but 'heat & kitchen' springs to mind; be glad you don't support Man U or the Poo.

5.Try to expand your boundaries, you may find someone with a similar blinkered take on life. Mars perhaps?

'Eagle'- is it american indian then?'

Peter, I was simply responding to a post from Gary, where he comments that it would be good to encourage more posters.

40 or 50 out a population approaching 200000 is hardly exciting - hence - it probably is broke.

I realise you may feel threatened by the possibility of expansion, but it is supposed to be a town-wide facility-not your personal facebook.

'

I realise you may feel threatened by the possibility of expansion, but it is supposed to be a town-wide facility-not your personal facebook.

Chrissy.

Don't you have enough posters to fall out with?

I can't see the reasoning in the above quote.

I think that it is far more valuable to the Forum, for people to join on a steady flow, than have a load of people coming on at the same time to be abusive.

Judging by some of your responses, it would seem that some of my posts have upset you, although I don't see why. Perhaps you would care to PM me and we can clear things up.

Peter. Admin.

Chrissy - I was stating that only 40-50 people posted on a regular basis (e.g every day)

There are over 2,000 members and many more who just read the forum.

I think it provides a valuable community facility to get a good over view of what the people of Warrington are all about.

Unfortunately some just like whinging with little action.

Others get on with doing stuff.

I know which category I am in! :roll:

Thanks for the clarification Gary. I'm not sure that the website demonstrates what Warrington people are all about, given that the thousands who only read the posts only see the opinions of a very small number of regulars.

I know that discussion forums can become cosy chatrooms, but I think WWW has the potential to be much more!

Well the most surprising thing is that of the viewing figures the interviews with Cullen are the most popular items ont he website!

The election coverage was also well read.

For all of you who voted for none of the above - what kind of stories interest you?

I would like to see greater involvement of young people and some stories about how terrific the majority of them are. It could help to make our young people feel more involved in their town.

I'm not talking about exam results - which actually indicate very little these days - more about what young people are doing in their communities and their suggestions about facilities, activities etc.

I would like to see greater involvement of young people and some stories about how terrific the majority of them are. It could help to make our young people feel more involved in their town.

I'm not talking about exam results - which actually indicate very little these days - more about what young people are doing in their communities and their suggestions about facilities, activities etc.

You mean stories like

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/2520/1/Pedal-power-boost-for-cycling/Page1.html

and

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/2516/1/Chris-hopes-to-top-the-charts/Page1.html

and

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/2507/1/Teenager-is-officer-potential/Page1.html

and

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/2494/1/Teenager-leader-to-visit-US/Page1.html

These are stories carried this week - come on Chrissy open your eyes! :roll: