COVID-19 infection numbers reach new high

Gary

Seems the main symptom for covid infection is a loss of the sense of smell.   So perhaps an opening for a new testing service - the "Covid Finder General".   The appointee would be expected to feed on a diet of curry and beans swilled down with Guiness,   and would frequent pubs and public transport, leaking out foul smelling farts.  Anyone not recoiling from the gas emission would be covid positive and thus caught for not isolating.  Applicants for the post will be supplied with free toilet paper.     😷 

• Haha 1

Deaths sadly mounting, infection rates breaking new records and still plenty of COVIDIDIOTS walking our streets and spouting conspiracy theories.

Until there is proper enforcement of the laws and restrictions this is just going to rumble on and and on and on ... untll none of us are left with a viable businesses other than under takers and drugs companies! 

9 hours ago, Gary said:

Deaths sadly mounting, infection rates breaking new records and still plenty of COVIDIDIOTS walking our streets and spouting conspiracy theories.

Until there is proper enforcement of the laws and restrictions this is just going to rumble on and and on and on ... until none of us are left with a viable businesses other than under takers and drugs companies! 

So good you posted it 4 times Gary 😂.

People are confused and somewhat scared. Confused because of all the conflicting information coming from OFFICIAL sources and media that should normally be trusted. We are told that mask wearing is vital and yet I see people on TV who should know better (police officers, politicians, even some doctors) constantly adjusting their masks by gripping a fold in front of the nose and mouth because the mask is slipping down, exactly what we are told we shouldn't do. Get a mask that fits properly or don't bother. The same goes for those who wear their masks below the nose, or even on the chin, because they are "going through the motions".

I don't think its helpful to constantly label people as COVIDIOTS and conspiracy theorists when most people don't have a clue what's going on in reality. It's okay to give the latest figures for cases and deaths, but doing so without putting those figures into context isn't helping to reassure the public. For example how many of the cases are asymptomatic, how many people tested positive are actually ill, how old are the people who die, do the people admitted to hospital have other illnesses that have made their admission necessary? While the raw numbers are scary, without context and without all the information is it any wonder people speculate and some come up with theories of their own?

For myself I leave the house at a maximum one day a week and have minimal physical contact with anyone because I'm in the fortunate position of not needing to go out. For the majority of people this isn't an option, and to try to blame them for the spread of the virus and label them as IDIOTS isn't helpful and will lead to resentment.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree that the media fuelled by so-called experts with their own opinions,  is sending out all sorts of mixed messages, which allows folk to pick the version they personally prefer.  I'm out for my  big shop once a week, but with the addition of several small shop visits at other times.   With mask and gloves,  I fly round the shop in less than 15 mins, keeping 2 metres from everyone else where possible.  Not always possible when you get idiots who can't even follow a one way system or the markers on the floor.  I would never enter an enclosed environment with other people, which rules out public transport, pubs or even NHS waiting rooms.  Now living a life akin to a lighthouse keeper, which amounts to a sorry ending I'm afraid. 😷

The problem children in this situation, and they are, are unlikely to care what you call them Gary because they think that they are special because the government and their teachers as well as parent have told them they are.

This was produced by the ONS and published today (infection rate as 1 in 1000 etc) by Age group across England:

Nursery/Primary 450
Secondary 200
Sixth Form/University-up to 24 60
25-34 350
35-49 370
50-69 400
70+ 550

The problem is amongst older children, you know the ones who go round in gangs ignoring what ever rules there have ever been and young people. Students are definitely the stars of this show and I reckon calling them Covidiots is the least they deserve.

However it does suggest that taking the age of admission to pubs up to 30 may be a sound plan to protect the rest of the population and keep the pubs open.

I have no idea whether this distribution hols true in Warrington but it is about time the Council did what they are paid to do and told the public what kind of people the culprits are so people can take action if it is only to avoid contact with the superspreaders.

Edit: Also just checked Test and Trace stats which were published yesterday, they show numbers of Positive tests last week by age and gender.

From NHS Test and Trace    
England 24-Sep to 30-Sep    
Age Female Male Total  
0-9 843 840 1,692 3.2%
10-19 6,483 5,045 11,693 22.2%
20-29 6,421 5,987 12,627 24.0%
30-39 3,891 3,827 7,758 14.7%
40-49 3,398 2,910 6,364 12.1%
50-59 3,295 3,035 6,373 12.1%
60-69 1,577 1,684 3,282 6.2%
70-79 720 780 1,508 2.9%
80-89 529 441 975 1.9%
90+ 271 102 378 0.7%

To find this you have to subtract last weeks numbers from this weeks because for some reason everyone wants to keep us in the dark about what is happening.

People get confused about the numbers quite simply because they’re inherently difficult to understand however well they’re presented.  Not understanding is understandable but to be classed as a Covididiot you need to believe that the figures are in some way being deliberately manipulated to make the situation look worse than it is. Politics shouldn’t have anything to do with a virus but I firmly believe that the majority of people who think this way shall we say, are not big fans of the current government and the ones most likely to flout the rules.

Now let’s see if I have to click on an advert for knickers to be able to post this 😊

• Haha 1

Considering the students are bottled up on their campuses & the majority of pub goers are responsible citizens ,i do wonder where this airborne viral contact comes in ,especially when many people are still self isolating & taking great care not to leave themselves exposed to covid. It makes you wonder if this airborne transmission is carried more on the prevailing breeze than breathe .

7 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Considering the students are bottled up on their campuses & the majority of pub goers are responsible citizens ,i do wonder where this airborne viral contact comes in ,especially when many people are still self isolating & taking great care not to leave themselves exposed to covid. It makes you wonder if this airborne transmission is carried more on the prevailing breeze than breathe .

I fear that the students are not bottled up anywhere, most of them do not live in halls of residence and even those who do are not effectively prevented from walking about. The other significant point is that 4/5 of people in are asymptomatic carriers and if not in halls they are continuing to infect others.

I thought the tracing system only calls people that may have been in contact with someone who tested positive, whereas testing positive is fully automated and uses text and email rather than a personal call. Could be wrong of course but that’s how it worked for me when I was tested.

:)

From yesterday's Daily Telegraph:

Imposing more new coronavirus restrictions would be "too hasty", scientists have said after figures revealed that up to a quarter of patients currently in hospital with Covid-19 caught the virus after being admitted.

It seems that official figures need to be treated with caution.

Perhaps the press and media need to be treated with caution, as contrary and speculative assertions circulate daily.  It would be no surprise however to find that cases are higher in Hospitals, as that's where sick people go.   So stay safe, stay home.    😷       The question that needs answering is whether the track and trace system is working,  do we have a viable system in place and is it identifying asymptomatic cases ?   😷

When they said scientist said this, is that all scientist, most scientists, some scientists or a couple of them? Because as you rightly said "without putting those figures into context isn't helping to reassure the public." 

We’ve always known that hospitals containing high numbers of Covid19 infection are places to avoid and you don’t have to be a scientist to understand that fact.

Bill :)

4 hours ago, asperity said:

From yesterday's Daily Telegraph:

Imposing more new coronavirus restrictions would be "too hasty", scientists have said after figures revealed that up to a quarter of patients currently in hospital with Covid-19 caught the virus after being admitted.

It seems that official figures need to be treated with caution.

Without an identification of the relevant study, and the Telegraph being behind a paywall, I would say that the phrase "up to" indicates cherry picking and scaremongering from the outset. Who produced the study and when?

On 10/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, asperity said:

So good you posted it 4 times Gary 😂.

People are confused and somewhat scared. Confused because of all the conflicting information coming from OFFICIAL sources and media that should normally be trusted. We are told that mask wearing is vital and yet I see people on TV who should know better (police officers, politicians, even some doctors) constantly adjusting their masks by gripping a fold in front of the nose and mouth because the mask is slipping down, exactly what we are told we shouldn't do. Get a mask that fits properly or don't bother. The same goes for those who wear their masks below the nose, or even on the chin, because they are "going through the motions".

I don't think its helpful to constantly label people as COVIDIOTS and conspiracy theorists when most people don't have a clue what's going on in reality. It's okay to give the latest figures for cases and deaths, but doing so without putting those figures into context isn't helping to reassure the public. For example how many of the cases are asymptomatic, how many people tested positive are actually ill, how old are the people who die, do the people admitted to hospital have other illnesses that have made their admission necessary? While the raw numbers are scary, without context and without all the information is it any wonder people speculate and some come up with theories of their own?

For myself I leave the house at a maximum one day a week and have minimal physical contact with anyone because I'm in the fortunate position of not needing to go out. For the majority of people this isn't an option, and to try to blame them for the spread of the virus and label them as IDIOTS isn't helpful and will lead to resentment.

I am not sure why it posted four times - obviously a bug in the system. On my news pages i just report the facts as best I can with limited resources, with some very useful assistance from one of our forum members which is much appreciated.

Sadly on my travels I see plenty of people behaving without a care in the world for others around them - I am sorry if you feel these selfish people are labelled as #COVIDIDIOTS by myself and others (I didn't invent the word) on social media and that I harp on a little about the conspiracy theory brigade. But if you had been on the receiving end of torrents of abuse and personal attacks for just doing my job, reporting facts, you may understand a little why I express MY feelings from time to time. The facts are this disease is back running wild amongst us and will continue to do so while so many people ignore it. So even if we did.... " know how many of the cases are asymptomatic, how many people tested positive are actually ill, how old are the people who die, do the people admitted to hospital have other illnesses that have made their admission necessary?" What difference would it make - the #COVIDIDIOTS out there wont change the way they behave because they are totally selfish people who believe they are indestructible  and do not care about the outcomes of their actions.

• Upvote 3

I do wonder Gary, how much of the "covidiot" mentality is fuelled by mainstream media.

They see other people on the news flouting the rules and think well if they are doing it so can I. They are not getting fined or imprisoned and they seem healthy enough and what's more are enjoying themselves whilst i sit at home miserable and watching repeats on tv and being told that I am doing the right thing by not seeing my mates or family. Well pot that for a game of soldiers i want some fun too and off they go.

as I have said elsewhere. you do not go in for sensationalist headlines and report what happens with an unbiased style, surprised that you manage to keep your temper so well in circumstances where i personally would be reaching for the baseball bat.....or other blunt instrument.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Gary said:

I am not sure why it posted four times - obviously a bug in the system. On my news pages i just report the facts as best I can with limited resources, with some very useful assistance from one of our forum members which is much appreciated.

Sadly on my travels I see plenty of people behaving without a care in the world for others around them - I am sorry if you feel these selfish people are labelled as #COVIDIDIOTS by myself and others (I didn't invent the word) on social media and that I harp on a little about the conspiracy theory brigade. But if you had been on the receiving end of torrents of abuse and personal attacks for just doing my job, reporting facts, you may understand a little why I express MY feelings from time to time. The facts are this disease is back running wild amongst us and will continue to do so while so many people ignore it. So even if we did.... " know how many of the cases are asymptomatic, how many people tested positive are actually ill, how old are the people who die, do the people admitted to hospital have other illnesses that have made their admission necessary?" What difference would it make - the #COVIDIDIOTS out there wont change the way they behave because they are totally selfish people who believe they are indestructible  and do not care about the outcomes of their actions.

Gary , I'm sorry that you think I was criticising you, I was only trying to point out that perhaps calling people "covidiots" might be counter-productive given that stupid people have a habit of adopting such labels as badges of honour (E.g. ASBOs). My travels are restricted to one trip out a week so I don't get to see what the rest of the country is up to, but I do think better information would help me and others in similar positions understand what is going on and why restrictive measures are being put in place. Politicians waffling and changing their minds every 5 minutes don't help, and the lack of any effective opposition in Parliament is a disgrace.

3 hours ago, asperity said:

Gary , I'm sorry that you think I was criticising you, I was only trying to point out that perhaps calling people "covidiots" might be counter-productive given that stupid people have a habit of adopting such labels as badges of honour (E.g. ASBOs). My travels are restricted to one trip out a week so I don't get to see what the rest of the country is up to, but I do think better information would help me and others in similar positions understand what is going on and why restrictive measures are being put in place. Politicians waffling and changing their minds every 5 minutes don't help, and the lack of any effective opposition in Parliament is a disgrace.

Don't worry I have endured far worse "criticism" - I am doing the best I can to paint a clear and factual position as possible without getting involved in politics - from a lay person's point of view from what I have reported on since day one - we are actually now going into a worse position than we were with the first proper lockdown - I hope I am wrong but my gut feeling is we are going to see things get a lot worse before things get better - we need enforcement and we need to be brutal in the way we deal with this disease or it will linger on and on!

• Upvote 2