Retrospective name change !

Observer II

"and then there were none" being a prime example. The Agatha Christie novel.

the original title was "ten little (African derogatory term for a person from the Niger valley)"

the tile was changed from that to "ten little Indians" in some place and "ten little soldiers" in others.

the Americans, being of delicate sensibilities, changed it to the last line of the poem that pervaded the novel "and then there were none"

they even changed the name of the island from the original to either Indian or or soldier depending.

goodness knows what they will call highest scoring colour on the snooker table.....🤭

20 hours ago, asperity said:

That was what we had for tea in the good old days Latch, jam butties and a brew 😉.

And School summer holiday days out on my bike with my mates to Lymm Dam.. Jam Butties and Corporation Pop 😁

And of course the obligatory flattened cardboard box to Tobogan down the large slope !!!image.jpeg.a3950169e74ec9609f3eb532696cd5a4.jpeg

A mate of mine tried that on the side panel of a lambretta scooter. he got it from a scrapyard one evening.

The speed he reached by the time he reached the bottom was really impressive. Mind you we did spend the next ten minutes trying to extricate hie from the bushes would have been quicker but we spent five minutes laughing as he dangled upside down by his trousers cursing.

Nobody else bothered to try it though and the panel was left to rust in the bushes.

side note:- this was the same mate who rode his home made go cart down the steps form the substation at the top of dallam sheds. broke three fingers and collected an very large collection of splinters and grazes along the way.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Observer II said:

The stuff we do when we're young and immortal !      😉

I rode my bike from Walton Gardens to Grappenhall village "ON" the canal which in 1963 was frozen then went to Ackers Pit and spent an hour with other lads wheel spinning across the frozen water.

No police even bothered to turn up and remove us.

Imagine H&S in these days it would have been newspaper headlines for weeks !

I still shiver at the thought of it 🥶

How to Survive Falling Through the Ice - The Shooter's Log

image.jpeg

• Haha 2

I remember trying to persuade my Dad to let me have a bigger motorbike when i was about 17. The compromise was a combo so my Dad could jump in the sidecar.I remember one summer's evening i finished up with 7 people ,including myself on board the old  AJS , which performed brilliantly round the lanes of Burtonwood ,Latchford & Walton.  The only hitch was when the chair tyre blew out on Warrington Bridge & the passengers had to bail out & make their own ways back to various parts of Orford. I think it could have been the extra weight.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Observer II said:

The stuff we do when we're young and immortal ! 

like jumping off shed roofs on a dare or climbing the side of the sandstone railway bridge.

these days i get vertigo on  a thick carpet....🤣

It's funny in a way how things seem to be a great idea as a kid but when you are older you see somebody doing the same and think "what an idiot. he'll kill himself"...🤔

• Upvote 1

My favorite trick was to climb to the top of baled hay in the hay barn, squeezing thru the inside, using the connecting air flow gaps .  Now, if I'm in a small room, it better have two exits or I start shaking!  Alternatively, climb 25' vertical up the outside using footholds and fistful of hay.  Once fell about 30' from the top of a tree, hitting branches on the way down, dropped the last clear 8' and landed in a stream.  Arrived home sopping wet and mom never even asked why !  Now I'm like Sid with heights, my stomach does flips when I see anyone on tv who is close to a cliff edge.

The do gooders have taken all the fun out of life, it's probably why the teens now all seem to get there excitement from anti social stuff.  As usual, all liberal 'good ideas' seem to end up the same way.

• Upvote 1