New Warrington Market

Gary

5 hours ago, Gary said:

Bacon and egg barm - were you spying on me Evil?

Nah just watched the video and noted that you mentioned you would be back for one when you had finished filming...."elementary my dear Watson" as Sherlock Holmes never said....🤔

20 minutes ago, Evil Sid said:

Nah just watched the video and noted that you mentioned you would be back for one when you had finished filming...."elementary my dear Watson" as Sherlock Holmes never said....🤔

He came close to it though:

“I have the advantage of knowing your habits, my dear Watson,” said he. “When your round is a short one you walk, and when it is a long one you use a hansom. As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom.”

“Excellent!” I cried.

Elementary,” said he.

7 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Well I did and it was great!

I am getting old and my eyesight is not as efficient as it used to be so perhaps my judgement has also become impaired, however I do not not see much social distancing being practised  in the new market or perhaps the video gives a false sense of perspective although the hairdresser does appear to be wearing some PPE.

I I thought the same thing Algy.  It won't ever happen.  I was in a Super Walmart store last week, the store has all the aisles marked with big green and red signs and arrows to have the shoppers follow the green arrows and not enter the red.  It was to get the snake effect, up one aisle down the next, so that you would never have to pass close to anyone.  What a joke, only my wife, on my instruction, followed it, all the rest were just wandering up and down any aisle and even stopping in groups mid aisle to chat.  I'm afraid the general public is too dumb to handle pandemics.

The same thing in the ASDA Stall, hardly anybody following the arrows. The worst offenders are the staff (sorry, "colleagues" 😉) stocking shelves and doing the online shopping, who seem to be making a point of going the wrong way. They do keep the numbers inside the store strictly limited though.

I've been in the market 3 times this week, buying something on each occasion. I was very impressed with it especially the food court, which I haven't used yet. I'm waiting for Cineworld to open and I'll have my dinner there before the pictures.

It isn't like the old style markets like you will find in Bolton and Bury, with  very cheap garments and cut price foodstuffs, it's more quality rather than quantity, and matches our towns demographic ideally.

Hopefully it will kick start the development of Bridge St. It would be interesting to know how it has affected existing stores like Hancock and Wood, has it taken shoppers away or brought more passing trade.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been searching for the kind of sausage we had at school dinners in the good old days,  big fat bangers, with a meaty, peppery taste - no one seems to sell them anymore.  We had the same type of sausage in the Army, and the last time I tasted one was on a North Sea Ferry to Belgium.  Yates & Greer have come nearest to the elusive recipe.    :unsure:

Due to strict guidlines on what they can and cannot put in a sausage these days I am not surprised you can't find them.

Some of those sausages used bits of the animal it didn't even know it had....🤫

If i buy sausages these days it is usually bratwurst or frankfurters.

I went for a look at the new market yesterday and very nice it looks. However I was annoyed to see that the beautifully laid paving around the outside is already being stained by ignorant people throwing their half finished drinks on the ground to mix with the rest of the discarded foodstuffs. Soon the whole area will match the rest of the pedestrianised areas. Will the council be organising weekly (or more frequent) pressure washing of these areas like other towns do? Or is it asking too much for our town to be kept looking nice?