Camp 5c Warrington

I have recently found a group picture of a class 55c , camp 5, Warrington called themselves the Junkers boys, my father is in the picture which was taken 21/09/1943, I believe it is a Fleet Air Arm picture, on the back of the picture are the names of thirty three of the thirty five men shown, my fathers name is not there, so one other is missing. I am not sure if this is of any interest her

Dad Camp 5 Warrington Junkers Boys.jpg

Names fo photo Camp 5 Warrington.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Davy, Malcolm here from Wigan

The photo was taken at Gosling camp 5 located at Glazebrook

There was 5 royal navy fleet air arm Gosling camps constructed in the warrington area during WW2

Camp 1  the HQ at New Lane Croft/ Camp 2 at Risley/ Camp 3 at Lady Lane Croft/ Camp 4 at Lowton and Camp 5 at  Glazebrook.

Here is a photo of Gosling camp 3 during  1943 ,and the last photo taken during 2012, the site has been demolished.

croft (2).png

croft.png

On 7/7/2020 at 7:42 PM, Davy51 said:

Good pic,. Is that Stretton Air Station (Black Cap) or a different one ?

I remember biking up there and waiting to see planes taking off. There were warning signs to keep clear of the actual flight path as hot oil may fall from aircraft.Strange but true....about 1955 'ish

And years later going with my sister as she learned to drive on the disused runway

Report - - RNAS Stretton (HMS Blackcap) | Military Sites ...Appleton Thorn: HMS BlackcapDerelict Places

Today there is not much left of HMS Blackcap apart from the main runway, which is still in remarkable good condition and parts of the perimeter track, a few of the old hangars are scattered round and about, used mainly for storage and distribution along with the Stations Telephone Exchange, last used as a cattery (and not, as some think, the Royal Navy Police dog unit). Shell used the airfield to test engine oil and they built a control tower (not to be confused with the origional tower, which is long gone). A few of the original building are still standing north of the motorway, but you need to look out for them, as many are within Appleton Thorn Industrial Estate. 

A lasting memorial to HMS Blackcap and those who served there can be found in the graveyard at St Cross Church, Appleton, being the graves of personnel who were killed at Blackcap whilst serving there. It includes two graves of two young Free Dutch Naval Officers serving in the Fleet Air Arm, killed when their planes collided over Budworth Mere whilst practicing for the D Day Landings. On every Remembrance Day two crosses of Poppies appear on their graves with a handwritten note of condolence in Dutch, although it is known that they have no living relatives, somebody places the crosses there.DH112SeaVenom1WW276StrettonJun56.jpg
Five De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.21s at RNAS Stretton's Aircraft Holding Unit in June 1956, with WW276 being second from left and XG614 to its right
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, malcolm webb said:

Hi Davy, Malcolm here from Wigan

The photo was taken at Gosling camp 5 located at Glazebrook

There was 5 royal navy fleet air arm Gosling camps constructed in the warrington area during WW2

Camp 1  the HQ at New Lane Croft/ Camp 2 at Risley/ Camp 3 at Lady Lane Croft/ Camp 4 at Lowton and Camp 5 at  Glazebrook.

Here is a photo of Gosling camp 3 during  1943 ,and the last photo taken during 2012, the site has been demolished.

croft (2).png

croft.png

Brings back many happy memories of my childhood living on Gosling Road Croft in the 1970s - used to collect old bullet heads and helmets from the site pictured above!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Camp 5c Warrington said:

I have recently found a group picture of a class 55c , camp 5, Warrington called themselves the Junkers boys, my father is in the picture which was taken 21/09/1943, I believe it is a Fleet Air Arm picture, on the back of the picture are the names of thirty three of the thirty five men shown, my fathers name is not there, so one other is missing. I am not sure if this is of any interest her

Dad Camp 5 Warrington Junkers Boys.jpg

Names fo photo Camp 5 Warrington.jpg

Hi  I am the secretary of the Friends of Glazebrook station.  We are organising an event to celebrate the 80th anniversary and are looking for memorabilia that we can display.  This phot is wonderful.  Is it possible to have a jpeg copy and any other items than anyone may have please?

Kind regards

Julie