Could you do it.just to get away

Stallard12

Just to get away from all the doubt, despair and misery, let's think about killing.  While I enjoy my steak, chops and bacon, I made a moral decision not to go with lamb or veal.  There's plenty of mature meat available for us carnivores, why not let the young have a couple of years fun first.

Then my mind wandered to the way we get our steaks and my mind suddenly pulled back the curtain and I had a mental picture of a man killing an animal.   I then got into thinking, "Who could go to work everyday and kill animals for eight hours ?"   Hence the title, could you do it.  Makes me think if these workers ever get put on a suspect list when a murder happens.   After all, "He was known to kill neighborhood cats when he was young" is a damning factor in many trials.

Hunters do it, but they are usually up to five hundred yards away from the deer so it's not the same trauma.  Kinda like a bomber pilot dropping a bomb compared to a soldier using a knife.  It's also only a couple of times a year.

Dont know any of these people - do women do it?   They may be the nicest folk in the world, I just don't personally understand their mindset.  Do you ?

Nice to have a lighthearted discussion for a change.

I worked for a couple of years at Capper Pipe Service.  The office was just across a bridge over the canal near Gray Mist Woolston fishing water.  Right next door was an abattoir and trucks loaded with squealing pigs arrived hourly.  Everyone knew what was about to happen, but it didn't stop anyone, including me, from nipping over to their canteen at ten o'clock for the best bacon sandwiches ever!

I guess you get more scruples as you get older, kinda like getting scared about heights and caves.

• Upvote 1

Stallard, what years were you working at Cappers, i was there for 18 months in 1961/62 working as the Muller pipe profiling machine operator, I took over from a guy by the name of Jimmy Embry, Norman Wilkinson was the works manager at the time.

12 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

I worked for a couple of years at Capper Pipe Service.  The office was just across a bridge over the canal near Gray Mist Woolston fishing water.  Right next door was an abattoir and trucks loaded with squealing pigs arrived hourly.  Everyone knew what was about to happen, but it didn't stop anyone, including me, from nipping over to their canteen at ten o'clock for the best bacon sandwiches ever!

I guess you get more scruples as you get older, kinda like getting scared about heights and caves.

I worked at the Gaskells  Abattoir you mention.

Not for long ,about 6 months in 1967.

I found it much like any other factory job  didn't think to much about it .

There was even a bonus scheme and "Job and Finish" incentives just like any other Warrington factory in those far off more easy going days.

Nothing worried me after all it was 1967 "The Summer of Love" and I was 17... what more do I need to say ... Happy Days Summer Of Love Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Hi Algy,  I was there around that time.  Married in 1960, spent two years in Manchester, then came back to Thelwall View in 1962, to take the job at CPS.  I was the engineer running the electron magnetron project at Daresbury.  I do remember Normal Wilkinson, I think he lived in Grappenhall or Appleton, met him quite a lot when I was having W H Capper fabricate the steel pipe.

You are right Latch, it was Gaskell's, how about those bacon butties !

1 hour ago, Stallard12 said:

You are right Latch, it was Gaskell's, how about those bacon butties !

I was on 6-2 shift and was frequently a bit late 6.15 'ish but then at 10am bacon buttie time in the canteen I was consigned to the naughty step for being late and put on hosing down the slaughter area for the next shift, and no break for Latch :-(

I believe everyone on here has the same problem.  I can recite verbatim probably fifty eighteenth and nineteenth century poems, but I leave the house three times a day without my wallet, keys and phone. Never fails and I don't even remember them all when I go back to get them.

Only went to Gaskell's once. Working for the WBC & stood in for the driver on the septic tank tanker & we went to Gaskell's to empty the blood & guts pit.Everything was ok till my oppo stirred the contents up with his big ladle & disturbed the crust. The smell was disgusting & you could even taste the vile stuff.

Wasn't there also the bone works in the vicinity that you could smell all over town when the wind was in the wrong direction ?

Right on Machester Rd almost opposite Hillock Lane, hope that's right, I never could get those Dams and Hillocks right.  Went there regularly for fishing maggots.  They kept a big pile of them about four feet diameter and four feet high.  A guy with a shovel would fill your tin can for a penny.

The smell was horrendous and I don't know how the folk in the nice semi's across the road stood it.

Davy, the bone works belonged to Gortons, it started out in 1851 as the Paddington Bone Works and was then purchased in 1853 by Messrs. Aspden & Royston, in 1876 it was listed as W &C Royston, Soap and Chemical Manufacturers, in 1903 Edward Gorton (limited) to acquired the existing business at Paddington which Edward Gorton was running. 1914 Whitakers Red Book listed - Edward Gorton of Paddington Works, Warrington - Manufacturers of gelatine, glue, size, grease and manure. Speciality: glue free of grease and acid. Employees 50. Company established 1852.

Congratulations Algy .  That was about the time I was dating Edna Savage ! No marriage thoughts on my mind then tho!    What would we do without them?  

At this time I have extensive stitched wounds, some on my back, my wife delicately cleans and replaces the dressings every evening, I can't imagine how I would manage without her help.   My son is a confirmed bachelor, in his fifties now, I often wonder how he will fair without the many faceted help that we get from wives.