GP's ?

Observer II

As I try to avoid the medical profession as much as possible (you don't know where they've been) I couldn't really hazard a guess, although if the gang of medics living in the house at the top of my road are anything to go by, they are partying like there is no tomorrow. All the old moaners discouraged from even phoning the surgery means there is practically no work to do.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, asperity said:

All the old moaners discouraged from even phoning the surgery means there is practically no work to do.

You know the same thought crossed my mind.

As A&E attendances are 60% down on last years figures for April I can only assume the same knock on effect is at the gp centres as well

• Upvote 1

Aside from the usual trivial attendances being reduced, no doubt some more serious cases will be hidden due to people's fear of Hospital environments, to the point of a Devil or deep blue sea choice. If folk decide to die at home, at least they can say goodbye to loved ones.  Meanwhile, I think GPs are diagnosing folk over the phone or skype; anything to avoid contact.   😷

• Upvote 1

There are doctors expressing concern about seriously ill people not being treated by hospitals because of the concentration of resources against the wuhanflu. I guess when the results come in we will see how mant people died of what, but I'm not tended to believe anything these days. Is there a cure for cynicism i wonder?

• Upvote 1

There is no cure for cynicism.

Salt by the pinch is said to help alleviate some of the symptoms but i am a bit sceptical about that.

How much is meant by a pinch?

if you have small thin fingers then it will not be much.

If you have hands like a shovel it could be quite a large amount.

i have checked with various scientific sources and standards agencies , but so far none of them have anything on salt pinch measurement. Seems like there is no standard for a pinch of salt as yet.no doubt some bright academical will secure government funding to do research into it and come up with a definitive figure in nine or ten years time...🤏

2 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

There is no cure for cynicism.

Salt by the pinch is said to help alleviate some of the symptoms but i am a bit sceptical about that.

How much is meant by a pinch?

if you have small thin fingers then it will not be much.

If you have hands like a shovel it could be quite a large amount.

i have checked with various scientific sources and standards agencies , but so far none of them have anything on salt pinch measurement. Seems like there is no standard for a pinch of salt as yet.no doubt some bright academical will secure government funding to do research into it and come up with a definitive figure in nine or ten years time...🤏

You might find it in here Sid:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html?dup=1#money

2 hours ago, asperity said:

An alternative is here:

https://www.accuracyproject.org/pinchdash.html

It claims the answer is 1/16 teaspoon. A teaspoon is about 5ml, ask a pharmacist if unsure. The density of Fine Table Salt is 1378 kg/cubic metre (https://www.powderhandling.com.au/bulk-density-chart/)

So 5/16 ml = 0.3215*0.001 litres=0.0003125 * 0.001 cu metres= 0.0000003125 cu m

Which has a weight of 0.0000003125*1378 kg = 0.000430625‬ kg = 0.430625‬ grams or approx. 0.0151898 Avoirdupois Ounce (1/66 of an ounce!)

But of course you take this stuff you find on the Internet with a pinch of salt.

• Haha 1

Getting back to the original purpose of this thread.

A friend of mine went to his gp centre during the week and he was the only one in the waiting room.And no queue outside.

So they must be very healthy folk down Latchford way ? 🤔

Also I remember in March the NHS brought back recently retired gp's where did they go ?

if it is owt like my surgery you have to go online and get assessed by a triage nurse who will then probably tell you to call the NHS helpline, they will then assess you and tell you to call your GP you then go back online and go through the whole rigmarole again until either you die of whatever you have or you get better.

what amazes me is all those people who would come up with any illness as an excuse to get off work are now complaining that they want to go to work again....🤭

• Haha 2

On 5/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, Evil Sid said:

if it is owt like my surgery you have to go online and get assessed by a triage nurse who will then probably tell you to call the NHS helpline, they will then assess you and tell you to call your GP you then go back online and go through the whole rigmarole again until either you die of whatever you have or you get better.

Many a true word spoken in jest 🧐Ae News and Political Cartoons

If they have to furlough staff such as receptionists then yes they are entitled to assistance. provided the said staff were on furlough on less money than they would get if they were working.

I would be surprised if any health care staff were on furlough though.

Well it seems GPs aren't the only one's terrified of this virus,  seems most of us are. A&Es have reported an 85% drop in custom over the last few months.  So there's either a lot of trivial cases out there practising first aid, or genuine cases suffering in silence.   😷

• Upvote 1

My thoughts on the new practice of e consult are mainly positive.

Before this you had to phone at 8am and then sit listening to the engaged tone for 20 mins before getting through only to be told all appointment slots were full !! 

A very frustrating way of getting to see a gp when you are likely feeling a bit poorly.

Now the idea of e consult means you get through immediately and are guaranteed either a face to face appointment or telephone consultation before 6.30 the same day.

The downside is the amount of typing and answering seemingly endless questions, but I suppose that is needed for a speedy decision by the gp at the other end.

Plus it deters timewasters who either are not particularly in need of a doctor or after getting an appointment by the old system do not turn up anyway for the consultation.

Time alone will tell if it is successful and replaces the old system totally.

But I think on paper at least it's a good move forward

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Shame for the computer illiterate though.    😷😷

It is a problem that older folk are not always the most computer proficient and apart from getting a neighbour or family member to do it for them it is a hiccup ; but at Latchford practice at least they offer help to that group.

Usually you have to direct your complaints to the practice manager. Probably via email or handwritten letter. or possibly via telephone.

never really looked at complaints as i have not yet had any reason to complain about any treatment i have received, mind you my visits to the doctors are so few and far between that they often think i am a new patient signing up.

I once got asked by a doctor there if i was a patient when i went in to see him. mind you it had been sixteen or more years since my previous visit at the time. (and prior to computer records, all hand written notes in those days)

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2020 at 1:10 PM, Latchford Locks said:

My thoughts on the new practice of e consult are mainly positive.

Before this you had to phone at 8am and then sit listening to the engaged tone for 20 mins before getting through only to be told all appointments were full !! 

A very frustrating way of getting to see a gp when you are likely feeling a bit poorly.

Now the idea of e consult means you get through immediately and are guaranteed either a face to face appointment or telephone consultation before 6.30 the same day.

Ok.. here is a follow up to my earlier post

On Thursday morning (11.00 am)I had a problem and sent an e consult form to my Doctor

2.00pm Thursday Doctor phoned me and after a chat made an appointment for me on the following day Friday.

Friday afternoon I was in the surgery and checked over then given a prescription and appointment to follow up progress in 4 weeks.

Now that is what I call a Success !!!

• Upvote 2