Good time for a Brexit deal?

The pandemic has been a massive blow, but how does it affect our Brexit negotiations? Our economy has tanked, but so has everyone else's. If we were still in the EU, we would be expected to bail out those badly hit mediterranean countries.

So as bad as it is, has Covid 19 boosted our chances of a better deal?

Well ,i was reading a news article the other day that suggested Nissan were favouring UK production over a plant in Spain.

I think with Brexit negotiations a lot depends on who blinks first ,being more intransigent than the arch intransigents of the EU. Obviously ,the best outcome is a shed full of mutually beneficial agreements that protect our interests & sovereignty. There is no need to create any trade animosity between the EU & UK. A good deal all round would benefit all parties & ensure the best footing to fire up economies again.

The pragmatic response has always been about mutual interests,  which will no doubt be dealt with by tariff agreement.  The EU exports more into the UK than we export to them,  and any tariffs they impose will no doubt be reciprocated by us.  What they really want is our money, our fishing grounds and some residual control through the European Court.  So no dice.  😉

2 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Well ,i was reading a news article the other day that suggested Nissan were favouring UK production over a plant in Spain.

I think with Brexit negotiations a lot depends on who blinks first ,being more intransigent than the arch intransigents of the EU. Obviously ,the best outcome is a shed full of mutually beneficial agreements that protect our interests & sovereignty. There is no need to create any trade animosity between the EU & UK. A good deal all round would benefit all parties & ensure the best footing to fire up economies again.

Sums it up perfectly.

They also seem terrified that we go it alone and we become the Singapore of Europe, drawing business from them.

A word of caution with the fishing is that if we have full control of our fishing grounds, out of spite they will probably refuse to buy from us.